MONEY MORAL DILEMMA: What should Homer & Marge do about the loss of Sky?

Options

Comments

• Freefall
    Freefall Posts: 431 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JayD wrote: »
    Legal schmeegal, I would not want to upset my neighbours and spoil their leisure time. That is mean! I am assuming the extension is spoiling satellite signals for more than one household (unles Barney, Ned, Apu and Mo are co-habiting). So it isn't just a case of having one satellite dish moved but several. In the interest of good neighbourly relations, I would offer to help fund any expenses incurred in moving all those dishes - the amount being dependent on my financial status.

Although, even as a (wannabe?) moneysaver, I don't advocate communism; I think you are right on target with that post.

If only the rest of the world (especially a significant proportion of the moneysaving community who think moneysaving is about being selfish) then we would live in a much better society.
  • smudger1946
    smudger1946 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Options
    Get the dish re-sited.
    We have no rights to a view, light etc. as planners will tell us, so you have no right to a digi signal, they will have to move it.
    It's the way of the world.
    I wouldnt pay to help them.
  • Bundy_2
    Bundy_2 Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    I think the correct thing to do would be to offer to have the sky dish raised for them. An extension would no doubt cost thousands - what's an extra 50 quid to keep the peace with your neighbours? They would no doubt hold it aginst you for the rest of your time living there. It just isn't worth it.

Or send out the homeless sisters to work. It's their fault in the first place! :p
  • sanity_2
    Options
    get cable.
  • hollymcr
    hollymcr Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If the neigbours ring Sky and say "we want to cancel our subscription, as our neighbours have put up an extension and we can't get a signal any more" what do you think Sky will say?

"OK, here's the number for Virgin Media"?

Of-course not. I'd be very surprised if they didn't send someone out to re-site the dish; they might even get an upgrade (eg to Sky+) thrown in if they ask!
  • jonnydy2j
    Options
    Based on the way the sky signal is recieved the dish is either close to the boundry of the the house, two low or the extension is just overly massive since the dish needs to be pointed towards 28.3 degrees east of south and the angle of the dish is about 20 to 30 degrees above the horizon. This increases the futher south you go.

The sky signal has therefore been lost more than likely by the third outcome, the extension is massive since most dishes are mounted at a mid to high level and also if it was in jepody it would have probably been noticed when plans were being drawn up. Personaly I would pay to have the dish relocated for my neighbours as like has already been said, you got to live next to them.

However lots of people would feel that It is not their problem and therefore would not help their neighbour. (probably as they dont know their neighbour)(and the ten commandments tell us to love thy neighbour).

Each to their own I suppose ;)
  • rozeepozee
    rozeepozee Posts: 1,971 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had this problem when I had scaffolding erected around my building which interfered with my neighbours Sky channels. I refunded them the cost of the sky subscription until the scaffolding came down. It's important to maintain happy neighbour relations so I'd ensure mine weren't out of pocket!
  • webfoot
    webfoot Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Move the dish. The cost should be trivial. My son-in-law had his sited at the far end of his house on an extension pole as part of his Sky installation package and Sky are a business not philanthropists.
  • DaveK
    DaveK Posts: 86 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar issue regarding my neighbours tree, I offered to help cut it back but they got a professional in to do it, I did contact Sky before it was cut back and told them that either they came to re-site my dish or I'd cancel my contract. They are so desperate to keep you they'd move it for you for free. As it happened I didn't need to follow through with this. Don't forget it's Sky who are the one's that want your custom, just threaten to leave and they'll cut the price of your subscription.
  • Elainer
    Elainer Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    This happened to my neighbours when I had my extension done. I paid an engineer £40 to get it moved for them. Then again, my neighbour does happen to be my mum and I really didn't want to upset her, you never know when you need a babysitter!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure