Calor Gas Provence Stove Mobile Heater

1235»

Comments

• AnthonyUK
    AnthonyUK Posts: 479 Forumite
    I recently bought a Provence Calor Gas Stove for the house. The portable heater type. It is brand new but every time we switch it on, all of the smoke detectors in the house go off. Whats up with that?
    I have let it run for a good hour and even taken the front bit off, as per the maintenance manual, and hoovered everything. It looks spotless with no build up of dust or anything.

It seems a bit silly for me to go round disconnecting all of my smoke alarms every time I use the stove. Does anyone have any ideas how I may be able to fix this problem?

and a quick p.s. - the heater came supplied without a control ignition knob. I called the sellers who said they would send a replacement out....it has been a week and still not arrived. in the end I have had to make my own.

The heaters when new give off a few fumes;it's the protective lacquer that's sprayed onto the heater that causes the smokealarms to activate. Universal Innovations, the heater makers, recommend the Provence when new is lit for a few hours in a ventilated area to prevent this happening to get rid of the protective lacquer. :D
  • SallyD
    SallyD Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Are you happy with your Provence calor gas fire - do you get a lot of condensation? I'd like to get one for my kitchen as a back up for power cuts and a bit of extra heating on cold days.
    SallyD
  • AnthonyUK
    AnthonyUK Posts: 479 Forumite
    SallyD wrote: »
    Are you happy with your Provence calor gas fire - do you get a lot of condensation? I'd like to get one for my kitchen as a back up for power cuts and a bit of extra heating on cold days.

It's a nice heater and as long as you have a decent amount of room to use it in and it's reasonably ventilated and insulated then condensation shouldn't be a problem generally.;)
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    Thinking about one of these, but can't really find any decent pic or vid on the net when in actual use.

Would any owner be kind enough to post a pic (or even better a vid) showing them in use on setting 2 and 3?

I'd like to see how good the flame looks....:beer:
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • Bump up for this posting, just saw one of these heaters over weekend in local paper and wondered if they are good then generally? How are the people who bought them getting on now and would you recommend them?
  • Yeah I have been trawling too and wonder if they are worth it? A local supplier has them on offer but wasn't sure when I heard about the condensation problem.
  • karren
    karren Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    I've a calor gas fire I bought 3 years ago from biology and its fab it's cheap to run, portable ok not a prize winner in looks but in day when kids in school it's brought to warm room and I'm happy with it well worth £99
    :A :j
  • quoia
    quoia Posts: 14,435 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    murphy306 wrote: »
    Yeah I have been trawling too and wonder if they are worth it? A local supplier has them on offer but wasn't sure when I heard about the condensation problem.

Look, you're going to get "WET"

It doesn't matter what you burn in these situations, or really how you burn it

It's not THIS stove, it's ANY stove. IT'S YOUR GAS COOKER !

All hydrocarbons are Hydrogen and Carbon

Be it Methane, Butane, Propane or Petroleum

eg.

methane, CH4 - one carbon and four hydrogen
    ethane, C2H6 - two carbon and six hydrogen
    propane, C3H8 - three carbon and 8 hydrogen
    butane, C4H10 - four carbon and 10 hydrogen
    pentane, C5H12 - five carbon and 12 hydrogen
    hexane, C6H14 - six carbon and 14 hydrogen

PETROLEUM > C8H18 (Octane)

They are ALL WATER GENERATORS and make CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) and obviously HEAT

Potentially you can get CO (Carbon Monoxide) if you have INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION (Not enough O2 - Oxygen)

BASICALLY nCnHn + nO2 = nCO2 + nH2O

or more exactly .....

C3H8 + 5 x O2 -> 3 x CO2 + 4 x H2O

2 x C4H10 + 13 x O2 -> 8 x CO2 + 10 x H2O

2 x C8H18 + 25 x O2 -> 16 x CO2 + 18 x H2O

ALL the WATER has to go somewhere, invariably forming condensation on COLD surfaces, usually windows and walls.
    Only solution is VENTILATION - Open a window !

There are 10 types of people in the world. ‹(•¿•)›
    ‹(•¿•)› Those that understand binary and those that do not!

Veni, Vidi, VISA ! ................. I came, I saw, I PURCHASED
    (11)A104.28S94.98O112.46N86.73D101.02(12)J130.63F126.76M134.38A200.98M156.30J95.56J102.85A175.93
    S LOWER CASE OMEGA;6.59 so far ..
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ran such a heater for occasional booster heating, say 2 hours per day. Air the room once a day. No condensation whatsoever. Your mileage may vary.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure