PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

reheating sausage casserole?

I am hoping someone can advise as I'm no expert in the kitchen and have a huge fear of food poisoning! I made sausage casserole a week ago in the slow cooker. I put a small portion that wasn't eaten into the freezer (after it had cooled for an hour) which I defrosted overnight last night and was planning to heat up in the microwave until its boiling hot, will this be alright? I've googled about reheating sausages but am getting very mixed messages about whether its safe or not.

Comments

• make sure it's heated through before you eat it - should be absolutely fine
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I freeze sausage casserole. I will be making some next week during half term, for the freezer.
    I defrost overnight and then reheat thoroughly in a pan, sometimes a little extra liquid is needed. Reheating in the microwave should be fine, just make sure the sausage is piping hot all the way through.

Pollys
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    It will be absolutely fine! Enjoy :)
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    I often put a portion of sausage casserole aside in the freezer - then reheat in microwave or oven. Even I, with my very sensitive stomach have never been ill. If the sausages are fresh, then freezing as soon as possible - and re-heating thoroughly will do no harm!
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes it will be fine. I oftern make a sausage and pumpkin casserole. I freeze in the same way as I do chicken and stews.

Freeze in portions, take out of the fridge the evening before I want it (as you have done) and re-heat in the oven at gas mark 6 for 30 minutes.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I did this last week and I'm still here :)
    I made sure that there was plenty of liquid with the sausages and used a medium setting(700w) on the microwave rather than the normal high(900w) and just kept checking it until I was sure that it was piping hot :D

When I am just re-heating cooked sausages, I slice them in half longways and put them on a plate between a couple of sheets of kitchen paper and blast them on full power for about 90 seconds, great for sausage sarnies :T
  • Sorry to drag this post up again.... I'm gonna make sausage casserole tonight (a bulk amount) and I was either going to put it in those silver foil cartons with a paper lids or plastoc takeaway tubs with a lid. Then wrap them in cling film. Is this the right way?

Also, how would I cook/re-heat? I will be cooking in an oven, not a microwave.

If i have sliced potatoes on the top can i still freeze or am i better off not freezing with potatoes on top??

Sorry for all the questions. Totally new to bulk cooking and freezing. I just wanna get it right!

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    Sorry to drag this post up again.... I'm gonna make sausage casserole tonight (a bulk amount) and I was either going to put it in those silver foil cartons with a paper lids or plastoc takeaway tubs with a lid. Then wrap them in cling film. Is this the right way?

Also, how would I cook/re-heat? I will be cooking in an oven, not a microwave.

If i have sliced potatoes on the top can i still freeze or am i better off not freezing with potatoes on top??

Sorry for all the questions. Totally new to bulk cooking and freezing. I just wanna get it right!

CP xx

If you are using foil cartons with lids or plastic takeaway tubs with a lid you don't need to wrap them in clingfilm as well (it is a waste of clingfilm).

Sliced spuds can go on top and in the freezer - it does no harm (ready meals sometimes have spuds on the top and they come frozen).

When it comes to cooking - take them out of the freezer the night before (or in the morning before you go to work) and at night bung them in the oven for around 20-30 mins, check that the sausage (or any meat that you are using) is piping hot and then you can eat it. BTW I tend to do most of my oven cooking on Gas Mark 5 (not sure that that is for an electric cooker though).
  • Horace wrote: »
    If you are using foil cartons with lids or plastic takeaway tubs with a lid you don't need to wrap them in clingfilm as well (it is a waste of clingfilm).

Sliced spuds can go on top and in the freezer - it does no harm (ready meals sometimes have spuds on the top and they come frozen).

When it comes to cooking - take them out of the freezer the night before (or in the morning before you go to work) and at night bung them in the oven for around 20-30 mins, check that the sausage (or any meat that you are using) is piping hot and then you can eat it. BTW I tend to do most of my oven cooking on Gas Mark 5 (not sure that that is for an electric cooker though).

Thanks very much Horace! VERY helpful :D

CP xx
    Slimming World Challenge 2017 0/30.5lb

Grocery challenge 2017 JAN: £5.56/£350
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business