How much should a new boiler cost, fitted?

Just looking to get general ideas on how much a new boiler would cost?

Currently we have an open vent system with a 20 year old boiler. We have a pump that supplies cold and hot water to the bathroom to get the extra pressure required for the large shower head. We could probably cope with a combi boiler, but given we only installed the pump last year (during a bathroom refit) Id like to keep it (I like the wet showers).

So Id like to get a new boiler. Do newer systems still have separate zone control valves? or are they part of the boiler now? and would we still need a pump (or is this part of the boiler too?)

We would also like to flush the system - is this possible on a microbore system with twin entry valves on the radiators? would it be worth upgrading the system away from microbore? how much would this cost?

Any input appreciated

Comments

• Having a read around on the internet, a sealed system boiler might be a the way to go. Revoving the cold water tank gives the extra space but we can keep the pumped hot water in the bathroom.
  • Having a read around on the internet, a sealed system boiler might be a the way to go. Revoving the cold water tank gives the extra space but we can keep the pumped hot water in the bathroom.
    You may need to keep the tank for the shower.
    The heating would be sealed and you wouldn't need a tank for that.
    X British Gas engineer and X BG sales adviser.
    Please don,t let this put you off.
  • a question about repipeing - would the whole house need the microbore pipes replacing, or could it be just repiped at the radiators (saving lots of time/money)
  • a question about repipeing - would the whole house need the microbore pipes replacing, or could it be just repiped at the radiators (saving lots of time/money)
    You could just repipe each radiator .small bit of pipe.
    Or take out the microbore and repipe in bigger pipe.
  • nicka99
    nicka99 Posts: 153 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2011 at 2:35PM
    Having a read around on the internet, a sealed system boiler might be a the way to go. Revoving the cold water tank gives the extra space but we can keep the pumped hot water in the bathroom.

I dont think you can use your shower pump without a cold tank. you would essentially be trying to pump the mains which is a no no. you either keep the cold tank, hot tank and pump or take a hit on the pump and get a megaflo (or equivalent) if your mains pressure/flow is up to it and lose the cold tank. megalfo would give you the pressure you want for your shower (though maybe not quite as good as a good pump).
  • Can I not just leave the pump connected to the hot, and take in the cold directly from the mains? The pump is a separate pump in the loft, with the shower controls just being a mixer tap. The pump pumps the water to the bath and sink too, not just the shower.
  • nicka99 wrote: »
    I dont think you can use your shower pump without a cold tank. you would essentially be trying to pump the mains which is a no no. you either keep the cold tank, hot tank and pump or take a hit on the pump and get a megaflo (or equivalent) if your mains pressure/flow is up to it and lose the cold tank. megalfo would give you the pressure you want for your shower (though maybe not quite as good as a good pump).

There is no need to do this.
    Keep the tank and pump ,shower will be good then just get a sealed system boiler for heating.
    The pump for the shower is better than any combi.
  • Can I not just leave the pump connected to the hot, and take in the cold directly from the mains? The pump is a separate pump in the loft, with the shower controls just being a mixer tap. The pump pumps the water to the bath and sink too, not just the shower.
    You need to keep the big tank. No you cannot use pump on mains.
  • I dont want to pump the mains. Just connect the taps to main, and leave the hot water pumped.
  • nicka99
    nicka99 Posts: 153 Forumite
    I dont want to pump the mains. Just connect the taps to main, and leave the hot water pumped.

I have no idea. probably depends on the pump whether it would handle this and the mixer with potentially very different pressures (since once you start emptying the hot tank, the cold main will be filling it at the same time)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure