scottish power

Comments

• SGE1
    SGE1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    For those with fixed deals until the end of this month then, is it ok to request the switch today?

Want to start the process asap as it takes weeks, but don't want to have to pay the switching fee - does the 31/08 deadline apply to the actual switching date, or the date of the first switching request (which would mean I'd have to wait until a week Monday)?
  • Barter
    Barter Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    surfbadger wrote: »
    I'm in the process of switching from SP (contract ends 31/8/09) and signed up with EDF on 4th August on the basis that it would take 6-8 weeks to switch.
    Got a letter today from EDF saying they are switching my electricity on 27th August, just over 3 weeks after I signed up and 4 days before my contract with Sp ends, so I shall probably be clobbered £30 at least by SP.
    Phoned EDF to see if the change over date could be put back but they weren't interested. They said it was decided by a 3rd party and basically set in stone. Too late to cancel my contract with them also. Still waiting to hear about the gas.
    I should think anyone signing up now would be ok (but don't take my word for it)

See my post #122 - there is a 12 day period for 'cooling-off', only after which do they contact your existing provider. After that there's 10 working days' notice for electricity change, & 17 working days' notice for gas.

Thus what's happened to you seems in line with that, but should also mean your gas switch is 'safe', as it should be 7 working days after the electricity.
  • Thanks for the reply, thats right, but the point is that EDF shouldn't be telling people that it takes 6-8 weeks to switch when clearly it may only take half that and end up costing them money.
  • joe134
    joe134 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Hi, The saying "honour amongst thieves" is so relevent when dealing with power companies. These company reps, all of them are trained to tell you what you want to hear, they are not in buisiness for your benefit. Enough has been quoted on this forum for it to be logical to trust your own instincts, and the other bloggers than the power company reps.Buyer beware.
  • Yesterday I decided to switch from ScottishPower fixed until Aug 09 to EDF online v5. The £60 on TopCasBack has also tracked which is good. Not sure if it was this thread or another where someone mentioned a concern over the EDF online v5 T&Cs in particular clause 6 regarding not being able to switch away from online v5 until July 2010. The other MSE'r got an e-mail confirmation from EDF. I did the same - see below:

My e-mail to EDF:

To whom it may concern,

Please can you tell me whether a termination fee (or indeed any such termination penalty) exists with the EDF online v5 tariff if I switch away from this tariff before 31st July 2010. The reason for asking is that within the T&Cs online it indicates:

"You agree to remain on the EDF Energy Online Tariff Version 5 for each account until the Online Tariff Version 5 comes to an end, which,unless we write to you to advise of any extension, shall be 31 July 2010 (the 'End Date')."

Thank you for your feedback.

EDF response:

Thank you for your e-mail.

There is no termination fee for the online version 5. Clause 6 to which you refer should be read in conjunction with the last sentence in clause 5. It states that should you change your tariff or supplier before 31st July 2010 then you will not be able to go back onto the online version 5 tariff in the future.

I hope this clarifies the term and condition under scrutiny.

Kind regards
    EDF Energy
  • Hi, I am also with Scottish Power but tied in till next July!! I am considering moving to EDF but after trawling through numerous comparison sites am confused:confused:, some sites are telling me to go to EDF online v5.1 and others to EDF online V5. I have looked on EDF site at products and there is no v5.1 on there just the v5 does anyone know the difference in the two products as the unit prices seem to be the same.
    Thanks
  • KTF
    KTF Posts: 4,820 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When you apply on the EDF website, why do they insist on asking how much you are paying a month rather than the Kw usage?

If I enter how much I paid over the last year (based on how much SP took in DD) then it says my DD will be £20 for electric is £20 a month and £0 a month for gas which is clearly wrong - currently paying £60 a month to SP for both.

Once you have signed up can you amend the DD or do you have to call them up and sign up over the phone instead to get the correct amounts?
  • robt7893
    robt7893 Posts: 139 Forumite
    [QUOTE=
    EDF response:

Thank you for your e-mail.

There is no termination fee for the online version 5. Clause 6 to which you refer should be read in conjunction with the last sentence in clause 5. It states that should you change your tariff or supplier before 31st July 2010 then you will not be able to go back onto the online version 5 tariff in the future.

I hope this clarifies the term and condition under scrutiny.

Kind regards
    EDF Energy[/QUOTE]

Thats good news nice to get it in black and white, well done,if EDF as a company are as good as they seem to be and there products stay competetive there will be no reason for me to get out of the V5 deal, but you never know what may happen further down the line.
  • duggo1
    duggo1 Posts: 175 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    KTF wrote: »
    When you apply on the EDF website, why do they insist on asking how much you are paying a month rather than the Kw usage?

If I enter how much I paid over the last year (based on how much SP took in DD) then it says my DD will be £20 for electric is £20 a month and £0 a month for gas which is clearly wrong - currently paying £60 a month to SP for both.

Once you have signed up can you amend the DD or do you have to call them up and sign up over the phone instead to get the correct amounts?

My figures weren't right either. I just signed up online and then called them up when I got the contract and changed it to the amounts I wanted. I agree it would have been much better to put in KWH.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am on the SP contract that ends Aug 31st, anyone know how those prices compare to the standard variable rate now (roughly).
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure