Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Comments

• Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Interesting thread. I've been with Ebico for three years, low user, quarterly bills, I email my meter readings in on a regular basis, I've heard nothing from them.

I'll wait and see if anything happens.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 February 2017 at 11:40AM
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Thanks for post but bad link. Here's the link:
    http://utilityweek.co.uk/news/fuel-poverty-tariff-sparks-energy-supplier-spat/1296582#.WLVL-DvyjIU
    The big six supplier reassured that “SSE customers supplied under the Ebico brand will continue to be SSE customers for as long as they wish. They will continue receive their energy and the same high levels of customer service from SSE for the foreseeable future regardless of today’s announcement. Any suggestion otherwise is incorrect, misleading and should be ignored.”

Interesting, so my assumption in OP about SSE taking umbrage was correct.
    Big six energy company SSE has told not-for-profit supplier Ebico that its recent decision to launch a pre-pay tariff in collaboration with Robin Hood Energy represents a breach of their longstanding supply contract.
    If I understand SSE correctly, SSE are saying all customers will actively have to opt into a switch to RHE, as opposed to what Ebico have told their customers that the switch will happen unless you opt out.

We'll have to wait and see who is correct on that front...

The other question I think is posed, based on Ebico statement, is that if you remain with SSE (irrespective of whether you need to elect to do so or not) will be how long the Equipower/Equigas tariff remain, and even if so, at what price?

One can only now say that it appears no new customers can now request the Equipower/Equigas tariff, which to me implies the writing is on the wall.

Furthermore, Equigas cannot continue as is for PPM customers - Ofgem have ruled on that.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Ilona wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I've been with Ebico for three years, low user, quarterly bills, I email my meter readings in on a regular basis, I've heard nothing from them.

I'll wait and see if anything happens.
    Ilona

With 60,000 customers/supply addresses (and only 7 employees including directors) I think Ebico are staggering the switchover.

I have control over a number of supply addresses supplied by Ebico, and have only been advised about one of them so far, and that was on Saturday - I think some people were advised as early as Friday.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    footyguy wrote: »
    The other question I think is posed, based on Ebico statement, is that if you remain with SSE (irrespective of whether you need to elect to do so or not) will be how long the Equipower/Equigas tariff remain, and even if so, at what price?

Much the same applies to Ebico Zero under RHE which is a variable tariff.

Ebico Zero has now filtered through to Uswitch at least in my iOS app: Ebico Zero in my area is £10.26p per year cheaper than Equipower and is at the top of the list as the overall cheapest tariff for electricity above Iresa, TheEnergyDeal, RHE Evergreen and Green Energy. We might wonder how long RHE can maintain the low Ebico price.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 February 2017 at 12:51PM
    Much the same applies to Ebico Zero under RHE which is a variable tariff.

Ebico Zero has now filtered through to Uswitch at least in my iOS app: Ebico Zero in my area is £10.26p per year cheaper than Equipower and is at the top of the list as the overall cheapest tariff for electricity above Iresa, TheEnergyDeal, RHE Evergreen and Green Energy. We might wonder how long RHE can maintain the low Ebico price.

Well we know the price is guaranteed not to change before December.

Also RHE have promised Ebico that the tariff will remain a zero standing charge one. So I guess that promise will last as long as the new partnership will last. (or the regulator stops it). The last partnership lasted 20 years - lets hope this one will last a similar period if not longer. :)

Surely it's only cheap for low usage? i.e. because of the zero standing charge.

I'm not sure how this new partnership works, but the old one worked by Ebico taking the energy from SSE and re-packaging(averaging) that cost over all their (Ebico) customers so that it has a zero standing charge but a high unit charge (and with SSE it also meant everyone paid the same price no matter how they paid)

I would assume, in the absence of any info to the contrary, that this new partnership will work similarly (except obviously people are now going to be charged different amounts depending on how they pay)
  • Anthorn
    footyguy wrote: »
    Well we know the price is guaranteed not to change before December.

Also RHE have promised Ebico that the tariff will remain a zero standing charge one. So I guess that promise will last as long as the new partnership will last. The last partnership lasteed 20 years - lets hope this one will last a similar period if not longer. :)

But Ebico Zero is only available to Direct Debit customers and not for pre-pay customers who are stuck with the more expensive Ebico Pre-pay. That reinforces my previous comment that Ebico has split it's customers into direct debit and pre-pay or what we might regard as the haves and have-nots and is failing in its aim to help those in danger of fuel poverty by providing prices which are the same for all.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But Ebico Zero is only available to Direct Debit customers and not for pre-pay customers who are stuck with the more expensive Ebico Pre-pay. That reinforces my previous comment that Ebico has split it's customers into direct debit and pre-pay or what we might regard as the haves and have-nots and is failing in its aim to help those in danger of fuel poverty by providing prices which are the same for all.

I would say Ofgem are at the root of that change ;)
    (although probably not intentionally so)
  • I'm on a normal credit meter but I pay my gas bill manually not by direct debit. Does this mean I can't have Ebico Zero either?
  • Anthorn
    I'm on a normal credit meter but I pay my gas bill manually not by direct debit. Does this mean I can't have Ebico Zero either?

Apologies for my previous misleading post: Ebico Zero is available to all customers with a credit meter but a further unit rate reduction is available for direct debit customers.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I'm on a normal credit meter but I pay my gas bill manually not by direct debit. Does this mean I can't have Ebico Zero either?

From the Ebico website:

Ebico-Zero

With Ebico-Zero you only pay for the energy when you use it!

We are in business primarily to help those affected by fuel poverty in Britain. When you sign up with us you are also signing up for our cause. What’s more, with Ebico you also get top-drawer customer services according to Which? Magazine.1

Whoever you are, if you’re using below average levels of energy in your home, then the Ebico-Zero energy plan will be right up your street. With zero standing charges, you only pay for what you use – ideal if your property is small, well insulated or is left empty much of the time. To save money further on your energy just opt-in to pay by Direct debit.

Zero standing charges
    No exit fees
    Further unit rate reduction for paying by Direct Debit
    Price guarantee until December 2017

There are 14 supply regions in Britain and there are different costs associated with the supply of each region. For that reason all our energy plans have a different price for each region.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure