How much do you spend on food?

Comments

• Salome_2
    Salome_2 Posts: 67 Forumite
    Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    For two adults, a fifteen year old and a five year old, about £85 per week, shopping at Aldi in the main, with dips into Tescos, Asda, Iceland and Farmfoods when there is a can't miss offer. Add to that three very fussy pedigree cats who cost about £25 a week, about £110 per week.
    Frodo: I wish the ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.
    Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us
  • Nearly £100-150 per month. It includes all non-alcoholic drinks and desserts too :)
  • £40-£50 per week for someone living on their own and I tend to buy lots of cheapies, yet I still spend £40-£50 - i'm doing something wrong.
    Weight Loss - Start (21st September 2016) 13st 10lbs, Current 10st 10lb (20th August 2017) :cool: :j

Target 11st 3lbs - Completed :D

New target - lose remainder of fat and gain muscle :cool:
  • If I lived on my own I would probably spend very little but a family of 4 which includes 2 very hungry teenagers, depending on how flush we are each week, spend far too much on food.
  • we are a household of three (me, OH and littlie aged 2.5) and we average £150 per month on everything. removing any non-food items I would put us around £100-120 so approximately £25-30 per week.

we buy some items in bulk/larger packets. I portion and freeze meats and batch cook when possible.
    OH is an athlete with the appetite to match and packs away a lot of food. we don't go without and he still has branded breakfast bars, crisps etc on top of everything else. This covers all of my meals, all meals and snacks for OH and 1 meal a day for little 3 days a week (she has breakfast and lunch at nursery those days) and3 meals a day for her 4 days a week. and snacks/treats for all of us.

I have to be very strict at the moment due to paying off my PCDL which I had for my masters (more than full grocery budget each month) once that has gone and I can relax a little more I expect it to rise to approximately £150 per month just on food - however this account for littlie's growing appetite, accommodating those 6 extra meals for her once she starts school and leaves room for us to have a second child. I used to do better when we had a bigger fridge freezer as I could batch more up and freeze it.

Doshwaster wrote: »
    Well, this calls for some kind of experiment. Next week I will try taking sandwiches/leftovers into work and see how it compares for a) cost b) enjoyment c) effort. I've recently changed jobs and my commute is longer than before so saving some money on food at work would be useful.

how did you get on? I bring breakfast and lunch to work everyday - not because of a lengthy commute but because I have too much to do at home in the morning without trying to eat as well so I eat when I get to work. I find I enjoy it much more than the occasional purchased lunch because I can choose stuff I really like/have exactly what I fancy and I look forward to my meals. I also bring protein based snacks (cooked meats/eggs etc) for in between meals though in case of the munchies
    Daughter born 26/03/14
    Son born 13/02/21
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There are just two of us, and we spend around £25 a week on food. I bake bread and that costs about £1.50, fruit and veg around £10 to £12, milk £1.50, eggs £2, then there is meat which we nearly always buy when it is reduced. We also batch cook and chill which makes things go a long way, and we forage a lot - walnuts and chestnuts this last couple of weeks.
  • Good evening

I am not sure if there is already a similar thread, but I am looking for advice ( well truthfully more encouragement) to stick to a weekly shopping budget. What is considered the a reasonable budget for one adult and one 8 year old boy. I need to rein my finances as it is a struggle most months. But then I work long hours ( I do 4 days a week as a teacher) so I dont want live on a super restrictive budget. I have to do something though as with a week until pay day I have 20 quid, which I have borrowed from my son. I know I should have enough, but I spent too much at the beginning of this month as was half term and we went away. Any advise/support or criticism is welcome. Thanks
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 November 2016 at 12:36AM
    nicola280 wrote: »
    Good evening

I am not sure if there is already a similar thread, but I am looking for advice ( well truthfully more encouragement) to stick to a weekly shopping budget. What is considered the a reasonable budget for one adult and one 8 year old boy. I need to rein my finances as it is a struggle most months. But then I work long hours ( I do 4 days a week as a teacher) so I dont want live on a super restrictive budget. I have to do something though as with a week until pay day I have 20 quid, which I have borrowed from my son. I know I should have enough, but I spent too much at the beginning of this month as was half term and we went away. Any advise/support or criticism is welcome. Thanks

You should be able to manage on £20.
    Do you know when your local shops (usually supermarkets) reduce food?
    Have you any foreign shops which sell staple fruit and veg very cheaply?
    Do you have any local markets?
    Can you chop up lots of different vegetables, get a large pot/saucepan, add salt and pepper, maybe a few spices, then boil it up, maybe with a tin of chopped tomatoes, and make six to eight portions of healthy soup or stew?
    Never pay full price for any meat or eggs - our last eggs were "Happy Eggs" at 69p for 10, 500g of beef mince for £1.50, 6 chicken thighs 99p.
    Good luck!
  • I like cooking and I'm a big fan of homemade food. I use only natural ingredients instead of unhealthy processed foods while cooking. I think that homemade food is more healthy and cheaper than going to a restaurant or buying pre-cooked meals. Even to work I take homemade food in special containers or foam boxes ( I found them here http://allinpackaging.co.uk/). So I spend around £25-30 a week on food for the whole family.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I spend £360 per month but that includes eating out, a chippie, dog food, toiletries and household items such as fabric softener and dishwasher tablets.
    I have ocado deliveries and shop at lidl and Aldi.
    There's me, husband, adult daughter at home and weekends there could be either son, with or without partner.
    I do buy a lot of fresh veg and salad and mostly cook from scratch.
    I do over buy, the freezer is full and the cupboards are full.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure