How much do you spend on food?

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    As a single person around £120-150 a month on grocery shopping including cleaning/toiletries. I probably could cut that back by better meal planning (I do throw out far too much) but I'm not under any real financial pressure to do so.

On top of that about £20-25 a week for lunches at work. I really should take sandwiches/leftovers in to save money as the onsite restaurant isn't great but I'd probably just eat the lot by mid-morning.
    Just curious.....
    Even though you're not strapped for cash wouldn't you want to make a bit of effort to make your own lunches - and maybe plan to use up some of the stuff you say you throw away?

I'm in the lucky position that I don't have to account for every penny but I still like to use stuff up in any way I can rather than throw it away and even when I was working, I always put sandwiches or some kind of lunch for me & OH.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    I think asking how much a person spends on food is extremely subjective and for this reason I really hate this type of thread.

I could spend next to nothing if I foraged all my food, or I could spend a vast fortune if I ate out every night in high end restaurants.

And then we have those who can feed an entire family on a shoe string. I still can't get over the poster who claimed to feed a family of six on half an onion, half a pepper, a couple of mushrooms and a sixth of a bag of noodles for one meal!

What does it matter how much you spend as long as you know you and/or your family are eating healthy, nutritious meals and making good use of all the ingredients available whilst minimising any waste? Surely this key to good household management?

Nothing ever gets thrown out in my house. If it's not used when intended it gets frozen. Meal leftovers are frozen if they can't be utilised within the next 48hrs. I never meal plan, I just open my fridge and see what needs to be used first so make a meal using those ingredients.

I have a very well-stocked store cupboard so can improvise at the drop of a hat. Without this I can see people might struggle. Also, those newly venturing into cooking might be put off when initially buying seemingly expensive herbs, spices and other store cupboard ingredients, but these are very infrequent purchases which usually last a very long time. I've got stuff in my cupboard I bought 10+ years ago and still use occasionally.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Just curious.....
    Even though you're not strapped for cash wouldn't you want to make a bit of effort to make your own lunches - and maybe plan to use up some of the stuff you say you throw away?

I'm in the lucky position that I don't have to account for every penny but I still like to use stuff up in any way I can rather than throw it away and even when I was working, I always put sandwiches or some kind of lunch for me & OH.

But, s/he says she'd eat them before lunch and I'm afraid that's aways the temptation if you make your own.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    We spend on average £80 a week for two adults and two children. Here is a quick breakdown of our lifestyle:
    The children have breakfast and lunch at school/nursery.
    Me and OH bring lunches to work from home
    The figure includes top ups and cleaning/laundry products
    We shop mainly in Lidl/aldi and bulk buy from Costco.

I think we could knock £10-15 a week off easily, £20 if we made the effort. The children don't eat meals and are constantly snacking on processed meats, cheese strings and expensive yogurts. ,I guess, we've taken our eye off the ball and let our shopping creep up. We spent £90 in lidl today - although we spent about £40 the week before.

I'm going to monitor our shopping a bit more closely for the rest of the month, to get it back under control.
  • Pollycat
    But, s/he says she'd eat them before lunch and I'm afraid that's aways the temptation if you make your own.
    I guess I must just be more disciplined than most people then. ;)

I used to take bits of fruit for a mid-morning snack if I got hungry.

I could think of lots of better things to spend over £1k per year on than lunches.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I guess I must just be more disciplined than most people then. ;)

I used to take bits of fruit for a mid-morning snack if I got hungry.

I could think of lots of better things to spend over £1k per year on than lunches.

I was just going to post that.:o

I don't know about most people but I often succumbed, both at school and when working - I blame my body clock.:o
  • Feral_Moon wrote: »
    I think asking how much a person spends on food is extremely subjective and for this reason I really hate this type of thread.

But you replied in it, and more than once.

It's very interesting to me, as I will be moving back to the UK and am interested in what the cost of living is like there.

By taking a range of opinions and costs, (including yours,) I' m able to get an idea of a reasonable "average spend".

Thanks to all who have contributed.,
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
  • upoiupou
    upoiupou Posts: 136 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2016 at 11:32PM
    I think it's tricky without a bigger picture, such as whether someone has an active or sedentary lifestyle, what they consider healthy (or healthy enough) etc.

I struggle to keep my food budget down to £100 per month. I'm very active, have always had to eat a lot to maintain a normal weight, and eat whole grains, lots of vegetables and a fair amount of protein (mostly beans, pulses, some dairy and eggs, some nuts and seeds). I mostly cook from scratch, with some prepared food when it's an end of day bargain at the supermarket. Hardly anything I eat is organic and I wish it was! When I'm rich...

I don't drive, don't have a lot of storage for bulk buying and don't have access to Aldi or Lidl type shops, so that has an impact.

The £100 is pretty much all my food, though. I always take my own lunch when I go out, also other meals if I leave early or come home late. I take water in a container or a hot drink in a flask. I eat out at a restaurant maybe once a month (from my "social" budget). I eat at friends' houses, but then they eat at mine so I think that balances out.

I'm a bit stunned by the idea of not taking a home-made lunch because of the risk of eating it too early in the morning. I suspect you need to eat more for breakfast or have a mid-morning snack, but if you would still eat lunch too early for no good reason surely you can just find a way round it? Give your lunch to a colleague to look after, anything!
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Just curious.....

Well, this calls for some kind of experiment. Next week I will try taking sandwiches/leftovers into work and see how it compares for a) cost b) enjoyment c) effort. I've recently changed jobs and my commute is longer than before so saving some money on food at work would be useful.

As for throwing stuff out, I'm not that bad (I've always have a disregard for "best before" dates and prefer the sniff test) but when you live alone some waste is unavoidable - you can't really buy half a lettuce and you can't freeze one either.
  • Pollycat
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    Well, this calls for some kind of experiment. Next week I will try taking sandwiches/leftovers into work and see how it compares for a) cost b) enjoyment c) effort. I've recently changed jobs and my commute is longer than before so saving some money on food at work would be useful.

As for throwing stuff out, I'm not that bad (I've always have a disregard for "best before" dates and prefer the sniff test) but when you live alone some waste is unavoidable - you can't really buy half a lettuce and you can't freeze one either.
    Let us know how you get on.

Are you planning to have breakfast (if you don't already) or take some fruit in case you're tempted to start on your lunch too early?

I found that sandwiches were more interesting if I used a range of different bread types but I appreciate that if you're on your own and have limited freezer space that's not always possible.
    My sandwiches were the envy of everyone at work. ;)
    One lady's OH used to put her sandwiches up and it was usually plain white sliced bread and a scraping of whatever so no wonder she found lunchtimes boring.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure