PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• dragonlily
    dragonlily Posts: 186 Forumite
    Options
    My aim for today is to work on a more minimalist wardrobe for spring and to pack other things away.

I've been looking at project 333, better go get started x
  • hebwood
    hebwood Posts: 78 Forumite
    Options
    Not posted for a while, but do lurk a bit.

Juliebunny, as others have said, it can take a long while to get it 'all' done, and for me, it's an ongoing process, after an big push at the start, nicker drawer, clothes, kitchen stuff, komono. Lots will need another big do - e.g. airing cupboard. I have done some large sections of paper, but still more to be done, and only just started on the photos.

So will continue to nibble to my timetable, pleased with overall progress.
    However I must confess to acquiring more in the craft stash, despite good intentions! Oh well!.

Take care everyone.
    H
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3 bin bags to CS - clothes, books and miscellaneous stuff :) slow and steady wins the race I say ;)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    A 5-drawer bedside unit just kondoed into one large drawer in a chest of drawers recently emptied & unit has been put to use in a storage cupboard for storing tools - making use of the vertical space in an awkwardly-shaped cupboard and freeing up space in the spare bedroom.

Killed 3 birds with one stone!
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 March 2017 at 10:45PM
    Options
    We have a laundry basket full of dds' former and future summer coats in the attic. Tonight I took all of them downstairs and made dds try them on. Four are too small for dd2, one is dark kaki, and one has no elastic in the cuffs; they're all going to dh's relatives in Africa, bar one, which is River Woods and in good condition, and I'll try to sell it. About six have gone back into the laundry basket, because they were too large for dd1, or between dd1 and dd2. I am not in a rush to throw them out, I have the space to keep them, I hate shopping, and would not like to spend money on something we already had but threw out. I prefer dds pick their favourite from the selection in the attic, than from the shop.

Mum just heard she needs to have heart cathetarisation on her 81st birthday :( I do not want to kondo Mum, she sparks a lot of joy!

Eta: current discussion with dh is about where dds' things live. He wants all their toys in their bedroom, I want the toys in the living room. I prefer to have the upstairs rooms for a single purpose only, so bedrooms are for sleeping, not for playing and storage, all rather empty and easy to clear/clean. I don't mind a little bit of mess downstairs, and it'll only be for a few years. Dh wants the toys out of sight; he has not yet realised that the storage hocker he bought last month has not helped solve the problem...
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • Shortie
    Shortie Posts: 2,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Evening all. Inspired by this thread I bought the Spark Joy book which arrived today. I was acutely aware that I was adding to my Stuff in the process...
    I started going through my clothes today - not a full Kondo yet but a preliminary pass through. Tomorrow I'm going to the tip to get tid of some bits from a Kondo of the greenhouse the other week

I might Kondo a bag of Mini Eggs in a mo. Seeing the Sparks Joy for me, but Kondo'ing them into my tummy will bring me more joy :rotfl::rotfl:
    April 2021 Grocery Challenge 34.29 / 250
  • GoingToDoIt
    Options
    I Kondo' the evening, a party for a friend and then a few drinks at a local pub with other friends...the Kondo magic is helping me spend time and money in joyful ways...back home to a tidy house after an evening of doing things which are fun! All dressed up and out with no hassle to find nice bag, summer weight coat, killer make up- lots of "me" time thanks to Marie!
    Jan 20 - NST challenge
    Jan 20 0%cc debt 7700/7700
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I Kondo' the evening, a party for a friend and then a few drinks at a local pub with other friends...the Kondo magic is helping me spend time and money in joyful ways...back home to a tidy house after an evening of doing things which are fun! All dressed up and out with no hassle to find nice bag, summer weight coat, killer make up- lots of "me" time thanks to Marie!

Ahh you had a Hygge evening!
    Must use my stash up!
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Siebrie, best wishes to your mum, hope the procedure goes well.

You raise an interesting point about your DDs. I'm firmly in favour of bedrooms being for sleeping - although one of mine is used as an office my own room doesn't have a TV, I try to make it a restful place. I don't have children but I can see that you'd rather they play in the main living room where you can interact with them and see what they're doing.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    toys downstairs, in family rooms, are fine when the children are small, as long as there is a storage area. When children get older then it is good for all in the family to have more defined areas. Adults need their adult space too and children do like a degree of privacy, which they get in their rooms. Toys can be brought out and then put away, back into bedrooms. I am with siebrie`s husband on this but it`s only my opinion :)

I have been able to order fresh fish this morning, just because I now have freezer space and can lay my hands on all my vac packing gear. I portion to my sizes and then vac pack, ready to use. I also went into sainsbury last night, on the way home and I cannot tell you how many things I walked past, slightly tempted but kondo space overcame any temptation, the thought of having biscuits in that space that would have to be removed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure