Shower dripping

I have what I think is a 'Sirrus TS1850 Stratus Shower', but I didn't install it so I have only been able to gather this from looking at pictures on the net.

The shower will turn off, but needs to tightened as tight as possible or continually drips.

I am doing a plumbing course, but I am only in my first few months. I can't see any obvious isolating valves to isolate the supply and it disappears immediately into the wall, with no obvious way of accessing the pipes.

The Combi-boiler feeds it with hot water.

Asking the tutor at college only gets - all showers are different, it depends on your shower and you need to read the instructions, which I don't have.

Is it just a washer or are these cartridges? Could it be limescale due to hard water? Shall I just dismantle it as far as I can and clean the parts?

Any help welcome as dripping is getting annoying!

Comments

• Not my SQEP but in my experience with a cold feed (not from combi-boiler) shower, the internal plastic reservoir sprang a leak below the heating element. Not a good idea & the leak wasn't really the turning off. In your case it may be a washer but until you finish your course (or ask the tutor for help) you may want to minimise use.
    Good Luck.
    Yorkie
    ;)
    SQEP - Suitably Qualified & Experienced Personnel
  • stphnstevey
    stphnstevey Posts: 3,224 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for your help

Thought I might have got a few more replies
  • needaspirin
    needaspirin Posts: 1,208 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    This site has spares for the TS1850 and some pdf files with diagrams and instructions etc.
    http://www.shower-spare-parts.com/products.php?RangeID=29&ProductTypeID=14
    You may have to isolate both CW & HW systems before dismantling the mixer.
  • stphnstevey
    Thanks - this is what I brought up fro Google - they have some good diagrams though.

Not sure how to isolate the HW from a combi bioler though? The central heating is under pressure, so I don't want to knacker that. Tere are no obvious isolation valves.
  • jennifernil
    jennifernil Posts: 5,580 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Turn off the boiler first. Then turn off the cold main into the house at the main stopcock and drain the shower and taps until no more water comes out. Then you can dismantle it.
  • stphnstevey
    Thanks

This seems like a silly question even as I write, but I just want to be sure!
    I presume the CH is a seperate circuit from the tap HW - therefore the pressure in the CH system won't be effected?
  • jennifernil
    The water in your CH does not mix with the water coming from the taps.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    thats what the heat exchanger is for. to heat the DHWS.
    the two never mix.
    switch off the boiler and turn off the CWS (main) stopc0ck.

then you can service the shower mixer valve. a seal kit will prob cure it.
    Get some gorm.
  • stphnstevey
    Turn off the boiler first. Then turn off the cold main into the house at the main stopcock and drain the shower and taps until no more water comes out. Then you can dismantle it.

How can I isolate the HW?
  • jennifernil
    You don't need to, the hot water coming from the shower starts life as the mains cold water. The combi heats it, then it becomes hot water.
    So by turning off the main stopcock you are cutting everything off.

You are sure you have a combi boiler? It is very different with a conventional boiler.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure