We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Horse manure...

Options
lucym
lucym Posts: 431 Forumite
Our local stables is giving manure away - the question is can we put it straight into our compost bin?

Comments

• Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    Best place for it! I think there's only a problem putting it near plants; if you dig it in I think you need to leave it a while before you plant but composted it should be brilliant.
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Horse manure needs to be "well rotted" before you put it near any plants - apparently, fresh manure could damage the stems if placed too close.

Compost heap?? Yep, ok, that sounds logical.

In the days when my dfriend of yesteryear provided an abundance of manure (free!) I would accept some, then leave it in a spare corner of my garden to *rot* in the sun/elements, until Autumn time and then use it as a top dressing on my soil.

Didn't have a compost bin in those days :(
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Mado
    Mado Posts: 21,776 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    My book says "It needs to be stacked for at least 6 months, 'cos otherwise it is too hot and will damage plants!!!"

I have helped myself to some locally... my kids did complain that the area stank (probably the wheelbarrow) but it all fine now inside the compost bin.
    I lost my job as a cricket commentator for saying “I don’t want to bore you with the details”.Milton Jones
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can also simply stack it in bin bags, or straight onto a bit of spare ground.

It should be OK to use in the Autumn/Winter when you dig it into the ground, where it will further rot down.

Any "fresh" smell will soon disappear :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You could also put some in a pair of old tights and hang it into a water barrel. It rots quicker and makes your water more fertilised! :D
    Mink
  • Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Ooooh, mink! Like ... compost tea? I've made compost tea and my garden thought it was getting a double vodka and tonic!!! Most happy were the plants :D:D:D:D
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • spendaholic
    spendaholic Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well rotted manure doesn't smell at all. Fresh manure will burn the plants, and it stinks - and steams.
    spendy/she/her ***DEBT-FREE DATE: 11 NOVEMBER 2022!*** Highest debt: £35k (2006) MY WINS: £3,541 CASH; £149 Specsavers voucher; free eye test; goody bag from Scottish Book Trust; tickets to Grand Designs Live; 2-year access to Feel Amazing App (worth £100); Home Improvement & Renovation Show tickets; £50 to spend on chocolate; Harlem Globetrotters tickets; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Guardians of the Galaxy goody bag; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Queenie wrote:
    Ooooh, mink! Like ... compost tea? I've made compost tea and my garden thought it was getting a double vodka and tonic!!! Most happy were the plants :D:D:D:D

Yuk! Just the thought of compost tea... :D:D
    Mink
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just glad I don't drink tea :eek:

:rotfl:
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Murtle
    Murtle Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    be wary next time Queenie offers tea and cakes.....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure