NST December: Debt Destruction December

Options

Comments

• Lauralozzle
    Options
    Day 2
    NSD 1/15
    Sadly my darling Mummy passed away this morning. Very emotional time for me and my family. My sister, my brother and his wife came down to spend time together and to start to sort things out. They have been very supportive and helpful. We are pulling together.
    Grateful for:
    My wonderful life with my Mummy.
    For my family being here.
    For @rgos agreeing to have something I ordered for my Mum to be picked up and agreeing to give me a refund.
    For the undertakers who were very kind. Someone who my Mum and I know works for them and have asked for him to deal with things.
    For friends being supportive.
    For the support on this thread.

I’m sorry for your loss Kerry Woman xx
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • cybertortoise
    Options
    So sorry for your loss Kerry woman. Sending hugs and kind thoughts your way xx

I just sat and worked out every penny that will be coming in between now and the 28th December and it looks like I have £392. This has to finish my 5 kids presents and pay for food, dog food, nappies etc until the 28th December.

Today I am grateful for sunshine on cold days, my ex partner helping me out, my daughter's slightly offkey singing which always makes me smile and that our family cold is finally tailing off.

I'll be doing yoga everyday, and I'm banishing Facebook from my phone as I sit and scroll for ages without even posting anything. Such a time waster.
    Restarted my journey toward financial stability on 1st September 2021 - I will succeed!

Total debt - £39888.13 @ 31.08.21

Current debt - £21270.51 @ 29.12.2023
    Paid to date: £18617.62

DFD: Aiming for end of 2028
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    Stupid internet. It stopped working mid way through my post and now it’s all gone.

Today has been spendy - got tea bags and stamps. Will go shopping tomorrow too so another spendy day on the cards. I hoping to bag some NSD in the week though.

I’ve cleaned the kitchen - I don’t think the OH would have gotten around to it otherwise.

Today I’m grateful for the sunshine as it has not rained today, althoughts it cold. Im also grateful for my hot bath this morning, tasty dinner tonight and the relaxing day I’ve had.
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • Timetopullmysocksup
    Timetopullmysocksup Posts: 30 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 2 December 2017 at 10:52PM
    Options
    Really sorry to hear the sad news of your ma passing Kerry Woman, glad she made it home before passing. Hope you have lovely memories to comfort you in this difficult time.

#5 checking in on day 2

Debt Plan
    - my total debt £7,027.19 (OMG) My DFD is Sept 2020 *weeps*
    The plan is to overpay wherever possible even though my budgets are tight in the first place. I have done the snowball calculator so know where I am going which is always a bonus. I NEED NEED NEED an emergency budget so have to wiggle that in too. I have been rounding down my bank into an online penny jar as well as over paying on cc's so just need to step this up a bit. Any extra 'income' (overtime, gifted money,sales etc) will go towards this.

Exterminate - I have already gave up my awful Polo habit, I'm a chomper. I can't think of anything at the moment but will revisit this after having a think. There must be something. Not coffee though.

Clear up - spare room needs re configuring, want to get a more workable desk solution in there, we have a bureau but its not really working for my daughter and the tons of homework she has, I have to decide whether to get rid of the bed or the wardrobe to make room. I have a list of stuff that needs to come down from the loft when I get the decorations and tree down, mainly boxes from stuff we no longer have but also for some bits I want to sell.

Explore - like everyone else love this idea. Will research free exciting places to explore

Mental Health - I'm ok despite a few hiccups in November, can't stay down for long.

Budget - I will continue taking £80 a week out in cash and using £10 for mobile top up, £20 for Petrol and £50 for everything else. I have my mot and electricity bill due the end of the month and the money is already to one side for both. I have decided I am not buying anymore gifts now and people will finally have to get it, I need to stand by my guns, I have just put £235 back onto a recently cleared cc and it would be insane to spend anymore money on people, they will just have to understand. I have crossed my name off secret santa too, it's not compulsory although colleagues make you feel like it is.

Evaluate - I feel like I have made a big step forward this year but I know I need to make a massive leap next year as a dfd of Sept 2020 is not nearly soon enough. I have curbed useless spending since August so I know I can do better with a full year.

Remember - others have it worse and I can still be generous. Reverse advent, shoebox appeal and a separate food bank donation have already been done. I am now in the process of making up a hamper to donate.

December Budgets:
    Nsds - 1/17
    Petrol - £20 pw
    Groceries - £50 pw
    Mobile - £10 pw (this comes off monthly bill that I get £20 towards from ma & pa as they are on my plan along with my daughter)
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 2 December 2017 at 11:49PM
    Options
    The Plan part 2

So Christmas, DS3 and Beloved will be here (only know this as Beloved asked me if I would need any help cooking hte Christmas dinner, I said I would fine). so far we have parsnips for roasting and plenty of frozen veg, some sliced beef. No lamb which is his favourite, no turkey which she might expect but will worry about that later. Christmas is quite a production at her house, lots of presents and food. When they had their early Christmas together I made them stockings but they both looked bemused so not sure what they want/ expect - will have to build some new traditions. Then there is the small matter of mum. Not sure if she has been/ is expecting to be invited to spend the day with one of her partner's grandchildren. Don't want her to be alone so may end up going there for the day (after I've sorted out food for DS3 and Beloved). I usually invite DS2 round for a meal on a mutually convenient day.

Presents - hae bought a Banksy calendar for DS2. Have had a pact with DS1 and DS2 for some years now - you buy yourself something you want from me and I will buy myself something I want as my present from you (so they pay for the expensive stuff they want and I buy myself something modest but something I want). Already discussed DS3 and Beloved - think I bought them both a pair of trainers (may not have transferred the money yet) and DS3 has had to send the first 2 pairs back. I have socks and undies for him and she chose all the new kitchen stuff with me so we jointly own that.

I think the daffodils I bought were mum's Christmas present (I bought them when they needed planting) as she only wanted token presents. I did want to get her a little surprise (was looking for something 'reindeer- ish') and I will need to buy her a plant or some flowers. My brother always used to buy her flowers for her birthday, Christmas and Mother's Day and I took it on when he died (but plants last longer).

I also seem to have 'adopted' yet another waif and stray and have talked myself and the other crafters into making a birthday present, organising a little party on the 13th and making a Christmas stocking full of hm gifts. Will try to settle on an amount for these budgets by tomorrow.

Probably need a holiday budget too. Again 11 years since I have been anywhere so no idea. Half board at the hotel, the brochure mentioned packed lunches but not counting on it. We get afternoon tea one day. We will be going to York one day and the St Nicholas Festival is on, so I thought maybe I would allow myself a budget of £20 'mad money' and if there are loads of crafty items I like, I will choose something under the £20. I think mum will pay for most of our lunches and I am happy to make do with a Boots meal deal rather than somewhere expensive (I think Harrogate is expensive, I know the housing is). I have £60 in £2 coins in the drawer, I will take that and hope it is enough.

I have a notebook, have written today's spends in it.

Will spend some time next week on evaluating the year and planning for 2018.

Social activities - I still think I am building a social life up rather than cutting back. I ahve done a lot in November, especially in the last week but most of that is as mum's companion/ assistant rather than for me although I have enjoyed most of it (even the pantomime was okay, as long as it's only once a year, more would be torture). I am quite happy to miss the 'after dinner entertainment' on all 4 nights next week if that will do - I want to read, I have a load of sewing/embroidery (now behind schedule because of the Christmas Fair) and if the hotel has access to any tv services I would be very happy to catch up on some of the things I have missed (not watched any tv except on u-tube and at mum's since the new licensing rules came in, in September last year - so if anyone knows when any Dr Who might be showing?)

Using up what is in the fridge and freezer before I go, have asked Ds3 and Beloved if there is anything they need for next week. Was going to do on-line orders for when we get back but think I will wait, stock check and then plan/ shop. I will also batch cook then and trawl for ys goodies.

Remember. i have taken 10 packets of biscuits and ten tins/packs from my shelves to the the food bank this week, I put 6 toiletry items in the box when I went to the SM and have added another (I got the wrong item for me) + 3 tins of soup from mum to the box in the library this morning. I have a scarf from mum and another pair of new socks to take over to the homeless place round the corner. So think I have done my reverse advent calendar. I have been dropping odd coins in collection boxes here, there and everywhere. I think I'm always nice but have added smiling more and saying good morning to people. Doing random acts of kindness, informally, as I am frightened of signing up for one of the organised lists in case they want me to start hugging random strangers without introduction and orgaanising street parties. Adopted new waif and considering part-time dog minding - mum seems to have been re-thinking the dog issue in favour of 'minding' friends and relatives dogs for a week or so when they go away.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Report for today.

Today has been spendy, fun in places and tiring at times.
    e
    Slept well, very well, then dozed after pills, bath and breakfast. Took foodbank donation to library, returned one book and renewed another (would not let me renew on-line but staff were able to). Very relieved as I am using part of one design to frame a house warming gift for DS1 and his fiancee and some other small designs for my RAK (random acts of kindness gift exchange for embroiderers) Christmas partner - wanted to make her a folding sewing book with space for pins/ needles, scissors and a pincushion but may need to revise that. She likes cats and luckily I have several cat designs part completed and a back up simple design if I need shortcuts - a black and a white cat curled into a yinyang design.

Carried on to the Christmas Tree Festival at my old church. I have never been before, it's now in it's third or fourth year and has obviously been building up over that time. There were loads of trees, lots from local schools, some by sections of the church (the choir one had musical notes and little cartoon choristers topped with photos of the real ones) and some by local voluntary and social groups.

It was £1 entry fee. Today only, there was a Christmas market. I bought a metre of Christmas fabric for £4 to make the stocking I need and then a selection of pieces from a basket, mostly in blue to make covered baskets from some of the cardboard boxes I have. Spent £21.50 (this is why I stay away from material). The fabric was 1/2 to a 1/3 of the price I have seen elsewhere including on-line. The woman was selling up, she had switched to doing B0die Shop at h*me but gave me her phone number as she still has lots more fabric at home and doesn't live far away. Useful as we no longer have anywhere local that sells fabric - we used to have several market stalls and a number of factory shops.

The largest piece is two metres of bunting shapes with a nautical theme - all red, white and blue, assorted patterns (check/ spots/ stripes) and some 'picture' flags - a life buoy, a lighthouse etc. Picked it because it fit my colour scheme for the baskets but when I saw it unfolded I think I will make it up as bunting and it can be mum's surprise present - her shed and fence panels are blue and she wants to decorate the shed when we have finished painting (I am planning to paint the edging panels she no longer needs white and make mock window boxes with them).

Spent £4.75 on hm gifts that I don't have to make (a large felt and fabric heart, an enamel brooch, a fabric covered notebook, a block of glycerine soap, a tiny teddy (25p), 3 Christmas cards and a mini selection box - not hm, but supporting the church). Still planning to make a purse, attach a message to a small embroidered angel and perhaps some lavender bags, plus the stocking and the heart shaped cushion which people have signed. There were many lovely things but I was balancing the cost of items versus the amount of time it would take for me to make them.

Also got a slimming world bag and magazine for free. Meant to go back to the cake stall but forgot.

Came home, ate, set off the washing machine, short rest, came on here then set off to the sorting office (Christmas hours so open until 5.30pm) to retrieve DS1's parcel. Bought a pasty to eat on the way (kept me warm inside and out). Was tired again by the time I got there (thankfully the parcel was small enough to go in the rucksack, the largest one he's had recently was half the size of a door) so walked back over the bridge and straight on to the main road and caught the first bus back to the bus station.

Walked through to the shops as there were some items I needed from the £ emporium, then back here, another post then back out to go to the candlelight carols at mum's church (tickets bought back in September). Took a taxi, arrived at nearly the same time as mum. Jolly evening, mum got to chat with lots of church friends. I could sing because a brass band covers defective voices, pasties and cakes at half time and best of all, two changes to the programme meant that they played David Esssex's 'Winter Tale' and Greg Lake's 'I believe in Father Christmas' - had seen the music when I went to the toilet but had almost given up hope that it would be included.

Did not win the raffle (mum paid), really wanted the life size Dulocks dog but of the six people sitting in our pew, the 2 women who weren't me and mum both won one of the ten prizes. Bought leftover pasties on the way out for DS3 and then called for a taxi home. Had to share the back of the taxi with mum's walker as it would not fit in the boot.

Today I am grateful for all that I have got done, for solutions to some present problems, that the holiday is nearly here (and will try very hard to leave any stress behind).

Do I need to go on the naughty step apple?
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all turtles :j

Checking in: 2/31

NSD: 1/15

Debt destruction: Have no debt now but not so long ago were 93K in debt so I know that I need to make sure I don't go down that slippery slope again...but we are on a fairly fixed income so need to rein the unnecessary spends which have been creeping up..

Exterminate I need to stop buying stuff, particularly clothes & shoes.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Deffo need to do this, and am in the throes of it atm. Am starting to panic just a leetle bit as Christmas is getting very close ...and we are away for a week before then.. Have next week to do stuff, then a week away, then back for a week before family get together....need to do lots of planning which is not my strong suit, have to force myself instead of winging it.. will also make a list for DH, which to be fair he is always asking for.

Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Will try to do this, and try to take a compliment when it's offered, not something I'm good at! Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health. Indeed

Explore your local area – Will attempt to explore local area when we go to Ireland, there are lots of opportunities, it's such a beautiful place.

Mental health. Went out into garden today, planted some bulbs - had a large sack which were sprouting already. Didn't do them all but plan to do more tomorrow.

Write down 4 gratitudes each day. Grateful for- DH paying me a compliment, for having a garden, for a roof over my head and that our poorly dog is better today (self inflicted)

Budget Need to do this but not got my head around finances yet, watch this space

Evaluate the year you have had: The year has been generally good, last year was very bad with bereavement and attendant problems. This year DD achieved her ambition to join the emergency services but it has been tough, not only for her but for us as well. A couple of my relatives have serious illness but are still with us & I will be happy to host them at Christmas. Need to plan 5 things that will happen next year.

Have made donation to animal charity, a one-off donation to help.

So sorry for your loss Kerry Woman, it is very hard to lose a parent.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss Kerry Woman.

Yesterday was a NSD.

Today I was at the Tesco Food Bank collection volunteering, then went to my in-laws to help them bring down their Christmas decorations from the loft.

As my OH and I walked through town on our way home we reflected on this year and I have decided to class it as a success. I have had some extreme lows, but also some extreme highs. I have achieved more then I first realised.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss Kerry woman, big hugs
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So yesterday was really good, lots of sensible savings made until, I went out for my work do (I was driving so others paid car parking and drinks) and I paid £13 for the meal (£20 deposit had already been paid). I woke up this morning with a horrible thought that I remember not having much money in my purse at the end of the night, I'd had £50 cash so should have £37 left and I was right :( The only thing I can figure out is that I was doing the bill yesterday and everyone was handing me their cash and I was giving back change, so at some point I've muddled the monies and ended up giving people change out of my purse :( So cross with myself. There was some change after the meal (not as much as I'm missing) and I have that, which we'd said would go towards a fuddle but I'm going to have to tell them that it's actually my money :rotfl: So annoyed at myself but not much more I can do. Almost everyone else was tipsy so I imagine some of them didn't calculate how much they owed correctly. Oh well, you live and learn.

Yesterday was lovely but very spendy - brunch out, bought sister's present, got nails done but it hardly cost anything due to discount from the massage and then meal out.

Today I was hoping to stay in but a friend wants cheering up with a trip to a Christmas market. I'm seeing it as an opportunity to pick up the last few gifts, hopefully!
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure