Dreaming of financial freedom!

Comments

• shangaijimmy
    shangaijimmy Posts: 3,796 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ch- I wish Mrs SJ would read your quote! She definitely has her fathers hoarding tendencies!
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £61,892.24......
    Mortgage Neutral Deficit: £43,082.90... Mortgage Neutral Savings: £18,809.34

MFiT-T6 #13 - £3,517 of £15,500 (22.69%)
    1% Mortgage Challenge 2022 - £157.59 of £650
  • Swash
    Swash Posts: 209 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Charly,

Just finished reading your diary, will subscribe. You're doing so well, think I'll look into premium bonds instead of the lottery :)
    "Nothing is permanent in this wicked world, not even our troubles".
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It's definitely difficult getting the balance right between 'it might come in handy' and 'I don't need to keep this'... but as you're moving, I'm sure it'll become much easier! :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I had to get quite ruthless Charleu; I'd always thought I didn't have much stuff as I've moved a lot but when gf saw all my stuff and said how much junk do you have I was a little offended at first. I then started to work through stuff and be objective; does the thing have a use that I use it regularly for? Is it something that I love and gives me happiness? Is it something I paid a lot of money for, regret it and now don't want to get rid of due to guilt?

I found by questioning why I'm keeping stuff helped me reduce down a lot. Don't get me wrong, I still have a fair amount but I'm getting better at it!
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • foxyloxy11
    foxyloxy11 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    if your up that way why don't you pop a note through the door saying that your interested in the house...you never know they might give you a call.
    it works for Phil and Kirsty...you've nothing to lose :)
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Thank you for the advice and words of encouragement. It is much appreciated. I love how supportive people on this forum are!

So, we were down in Nottingham at the weekend and we went to the dream house. We knocked on the door and spoke to the owner, who was lovely. She'd put the house on the market after she split from her partner and wasn't sure if she could keep the house on, but as she could and it hadn't sold after being on the market a year she decided to take it off the market. She also has a gate in the garden fence which opens into her parents' garden, which is another reason she didn't really want to sell. We left our details with her and said that if she changed her mind and decided to sell could she please let us know. We weren't really expecting a response but I got a text yesterday saying that she isn't quite at the point of wanting to move but is battling head v heart as she knows it would be financially better for her to move so wanted to know what we'd offer as she needs to think about what to do. I sent her a response back with a ballpark and said that if she let us know what she needed to move we could see is we could make it work. I haven't heard back so I'm not sure if she's considering what we said, is looking at what would be available for her to buy or straight up thinks it isn't enough to make her want to move. We'll have to wait to see if she gets back to us but I am so impatient and the waiting is killing me! I do believe that things happen for a reason so I'm desperately trying to think that if it is meant to be, it will be and I can use the time to focus on getting the house ready to go on the market. At least if she is interested in selling to us she's not in a rush to move and can wait for us to sell!

In other news, I took my mum and Grandma out yesterday. We had hoped to go to Hebden Bridge but it was raining and miserable so we went to the local shopping centre instead. Lots of shops all under one roof, and much easier to push Grandma's wheelchair! We got there a bit before the shops opened so we had a latte at Patisserie Valerie, courtesy of mum, and all had a great chat. Afterwards we took Grandma's watched to the Watch Hospital to get a new battery for one and a new strap for the other, so she was pleased to get that job done. Mum bought a couple of new bra's for when she has her shoulder scanned (she's badly damaged it when my dad pulled her to steady himself)... I doubt the doctor will even see it, but at least she'll feel confident :) I didn't need anything so I managed a NSD for me and they enjoyed a change of scenery so I think it worked out win-win for us all. Unfortunately the trip to Nottingham on Saturday and taking my mum and Grandma out means I am a bit behind with the decluttering and listing on eBay but DH is working away this week so I will find time to catch up on the evenings :)
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Fingers and toes crossed for the dream house ch4rly!! x
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • Hope you hear something soon about the house x
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Look at you making things happen with the dream home! I have everything crossed for you that your trying for what you want works out :D x
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Wow Charley, great proactivity going on here.... fingers crossed it pays off for you!

Have you listed anything yet? ;)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback