Regular Saver Thread **New and Restarted**

Comments

• ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    18cc wrote: »
    In the HSBC section at the beginning (and also as quoted above) the 'page 85' link is invalid

"You may also have difficulty opening this account if you do not have a regular income - see page 85 of this thread. "

Yes, that is because MSE deleted the original hugely useful thread which had over a million views and could not get it back. :(

This thread is a recreation of the first few posts with additional posts made this year.
    Since it was re-created, understandably Special Saver 2 has not been updating the first posts.
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    18cc wrote: »
    In the HSBC section at the beginning (and also as quoted above) the 'page 85' link is invalid

"You may also have difficulty opening this account if you do not have a regular income - see page 85 of this thread. "

There was a post from a poster who had taken early retirement. Their application to open a Regular Saver was refused as they were not receiving a salary or a pension.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Could I ask what the situation is with this thread? It's been a month since it was restarted by Westie. SS2 last logged on to MSE 2 weeks ago. The opening posts haven't been updated. :(

Is this because of an IT issue in that SS2 can't update the opening posts or have they decided to move on and not update them due to their old thread being spammed/deleted for some (silly) reason?

The reg saver thread has been an extremely useful resource for myself and family members. I will PM SS2 in the meantime, there may be another reason - hopefully they're ok.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    karlie88 wrote: »
    Could I ask what the situation is with this thread? It's been a month since it was restarted by Westie. SS2 last logged on to MSE 2 weeks ago. The opening posts haven't been updated. :(

Is this because of an IT issue in that SS2 can't update the opening posts or have they decided to move on and not update them due to their old thread being spammed/deleted for some (silly) reason?

The reg saver thread has been an extremely useful resource for myself and family members. I will PM SS2 in the meantime, there may be another reason - hopefully they're ok.

SS2 wasn't always able to update the original thread every week.

I'm sure they will be along soon, either to update, or let us know they can no longer do it.

Let's hope SS2 is OK and just very busy at the moment.
  • Hi Everybody,

I am sad to see my old thread has been deleted but glad to see we have been able to resurrect the first page and carry on the thread here. Many thanks to Westie983 for getting the first page restored in this new thread.

For anybody who was receiving regular e-mail updates from the old thread, you will need to subscribe to this new thread to get the e-mail updates. There are instructions in post 1 and to save people having to search for it, I am copying the relevant paragraph below. I need to go and do this myself in a moment, so useful for me to remember how to do it!

"If you want to receive automatic alerts when new posts are added to this thread then use the following instructions. Login, go to the top of any page in this thread, click "Thread tools" then click on "Subscribe to this thread" and then select whether you want to be notified as soon as there is a new post (you will receive an e-mail telling you to go to the website for more details) or select daily or weekly updates (you will receive an e-mail daily / weekly with a handy summary of all the new posts)."

Here is the update that I have just carried out.

- Mansfield BS Young Regular Saver (1st Issue) interest rate increased from 2.5% to 2.6% from 14th February

- Nottingham BS Special Regular Saver (Issue 6) account withdrawn

- Principality BS Dylan Regular Saver Bond issue 6 replaced with issue 7 - same interest rate but children up to the age of 17 can open it (I have recorded up to age 16 with issue 6), the account can be closed early without penalty but no free Dylan the Dragon money box now

- Ipswich BS Smart Save (Issue 2) interest rate increased from 2.75% to 2.85% from 31st January 2018

- Mansfield BS Regular Savings (4th Issue) interest rate increased from 2.25% to 2.35% from 14th February 2018

- Cambridge BS Regular Saver issue 5 replaced with issue 6; the details look the same to me

- Leeds BS Regular Saver issue 11 replaced with issue 12 with new maturity date of 31st January 2019

- Virgin Money Regular E-Saver issue 8 replaced with issue 9 with new maturity date of 20th February 2019

- Virgin Money Regular E-Saver issue 7 replaced with issue 8 with new maturity date of 1st February 2019

- Monmouthshire BS First Home Bonus Saver (Issue 2) interest rate increased from 4.5% to 4.75% from 1st January 2018

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Hi SS2

Good to see you back. Thank you for the update and your continued efforts.

Here's to the next 300 pages.
  • Hi Everybody,

I am sad to see my old thread has been deleted but glad to see we have been able to resurrect the first page and carry on the thread here. Many thanks to Westie983 for getting the first page restored in this new thread.

For anybody who was receiving regular e-mail updates from the old thread, you will need to subscribe to this new thread to get the e-mail updates. There are instructions in post 1 and to save people having to search for it, I am copying the relevant paragraph below. I need to go and do this myself in a moment, so useful for me to remember how to do it!

"If you want to receive automatic alerts when new posts are added to this thread then use the following instructions. Login, go to the top of any page in this thread, click "Thread tools" then click on "Subscribe to this thread" and then select whether you want to be notified as soon as there is a new post (you will receive an e-mail telling you to go to the website for more details) or select daily or weekly updates (you will receive an e-mail daily / weekly with a handy summary of all the new posts)."

Here is the update that I have just carried out.

- Mansfield BS Young Regular Saver (1st Issue) interest rate increased from 2.5% to 2.6% from 14th February

- Nottingham BS Special Regular Saver (Issue 6) account withdrawn

- Principality BS Dylan Regular Saver Bond issue 6 replaced with issue 7 - same interest rate but children up to the age of 17 can open it (I have recorded up to age 16 with issue 6), the account can be closed early without penalty but no free Dylan the Dragon money box now

- Ipswich BS Smart Save (Issue 2) interest rate increased from 2.75% to 2.85% from 31st January 2018

- Mansfield BS Regular Savings (4th Issue) interest rate increased from 2.25% to 2.35% from 14th February 2018

- Cambridge BS Regular Saver issue 5 replaced with issue 6; the details look the same to me

- Leeds BS Regular Saver issue 11 replaced with issue 12 with new maturity date of 31st January 2019

- Virgin Money Regular E-Saver issue 8 replaced with issue 9 with new maturity date of 20th February 2019

- Virgin Money Regular E-Saver issue 7 replaced with issue 8 with new maturity date of 1st February 2019

- Monmouthshire BS First Home Bonus Saver (Issue 2) interest rate increased from 4.5% to 4.75% from 1st January 2018

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here
    Hi SS2,

It is great to see you back. The old thread helped me on many occasions and I'd like to thank you for the hard work you put in.

I am very grateful for the updates and hope you realise how much we all appreciate them.

Andy
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    A reminder that Virgin Money Regular E-Saver Issue 3 matures tomorrow.

As always, you an request closure up to 30 days in advance on the withdrawal page. The balance plus interest gets transferred to your nominated account on the selected date.
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 February 2018 at 6:21AM
    Closure sent, Money already in account.

Roll on to the next maturity which is Santander next month.

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983 wrote: »
    Closure sent, Money already in account.

Roll on to the next maturity which is Santander next month.

Westie983

Mine appears to be missing any closing interest.

Can someone remind me if this gets done overnight tonight?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure