PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This is an emergency Fencers!

I have just boiled the kettle to fill my hot water bottle but I cannot undo the stopper. Right now I have a kettle filled with hot water and a hot water bottle full of cold water and a stuck fast stopper :(

I've tried everything I can think of, damp cloth, dry cloth, putting it in the fridge, to no avail!

This really is panic stations..it's blooming freezing.

Any ideas?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Try holding the neck of said hottie under the hot tap...
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Floss wrote: »
    Try holding the neck of said hottie under the hot tap...

Ok thanks, Off to try that
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    -4? We had a chat with my son who is dog watching for us. His starter in his truck froze and it!!!8217;s in the shop. He!!!8217;s using my Escape. It was -31, so his truck is in the mechanics (it!!!8217;s a 1989model,) and he walks over to our house to get it out of the garage. !

Minus 31 ° centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii :rotfl:

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Minus 31 ° centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii :rotfl:

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!

Unfortunately not..that stopper is adamant it's stopping!

I can feel how cold you must have been! How to take the edge off what I'm sure was a fantastic holiday, I'd love to visit Hawaii

I've just added another layer of thermals :D
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Karcher - if that doesn't work, try wearing rubber gloves if you have any. Or using a wrench to hold the stopper so you get a better grip.

This kind of incident is why I have 6 (or is it 7?) hot water bottles. One sprang a leak the other day and I was simply able to replace it with another one from the pile. Having said that, I like to have 3.. not all full, but I can the position them strategically so all of me is warm.

It also helps if I remember to put the blankets on the bed as well as the duvet when it's cold. Rather than remembering when I wake up cold in the morning.
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Karcher, I don't know if you are still fighting with you hwb but if so try threading a bit of metal though the hole in the stopper you are meant to hang it up by - I have used a skewer, a knitting needle or the tin5e of a carving fork - and twist that. It gives you a bit more purchase.

NO HWB. DISASTER!!!
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    karcher If you have anything for opening jars try them or another one is if you have one of those none slip mats for a tray that works too.

I have some circles of the same stuff for opening jars. I had to use mine to turn off the hot tap tonight it was stuck on for ages.

tomorrow morning we are going to see a bungalow. We uses to live in one very like it. They would have been identical when they were built in the 70s. Ours had been turned into a chalet bungalow. This one has had the bathroom moved and the kitchen extended. A rear extension built with an extra bedroom and a new bathroom. We saw it on the market last October, right move was not showing me bungalows and when I did a new search it came up. I called immediately but it had gone.

DS got sent it on his mobile phone two days ago from one of the other websites that have not sent me a thing since I registered in October. If the small bedroom is big enough this will be perfect for us. Nice quiet area but not too far from the shops Nice and near to work for DS.

The main thing is "No One" above us but birds, clouds and very high planes.

Polly we have not seen you for a few weeks are you OK.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Fingers, toes and any other bits crossed for you, nursemaggie - it!!!8217;s about time you and your DS found a decent place to live. Imagine the housewarming party we!!!8217;ll have if you get it!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 8 February 2018 at 9:31AM
    Morning al I imagine that karcher is still struggling to get the top off her hwb. I had to smike because I had an equally silly problem yesterday. I couldnt close my front door. It's one of those doubleglazed jobbies with a locking system that you need a key to open from the outside but inside you can open and close it normally, or that is the idea. Yesterday I opened the door to the postman and that was it. No way could I get the beast to close again. After about 20 minutes I gave in and googled the problem. Well, that was a waste of time. Endless instructions on how to OPEN the door once locked but none at all on how to close it again. Eventually I had to call in DS2 who had an equally long struggle with it. Eventually he managed to get it closed but agreed that it needed a doctor's appointment.
    As luck would have it he had a friend who was a locksmith, he'd get 'old Tone' to pop round and look at it.
    My DS2 has many friends, all of them have useful skills and can be called on to sort out problems. I swear that if I needed brain surgery Old Pete would be round to perform the operation on the kitchen table for the price of a mug of coffee and a slice of fruit cake.

Yesterday's ToDo list has been shifted to today. So I'll be spending the morning in the kitchen producing tangerine marmalade, lemon curd, batch of oat biscuits, loaf of bread and some cheese scones for the freezer. If there's time maybe some lentil and bacon soup.
    Me, the oven and Classic FM. Heaven.

Keep warm and well.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a long time making it.

ETA. nursemaggie, please let this be the house you've been waiting for, and if possible, please let it become yours.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family