Currys PC World Knowhow

Hi,

Thank you for reading my query.

I submitted my laptop for repair (water accident) at Currys PC World in November 2014. My laptop was returned without repair and the Whatever Happens plan that I bought with the laptop in 2008 was terminated subsequently. When I collected the laptop from the store unrepaired, I received a letter stating that I had not reported any spillage and that my whatever happens plan has been terminated . However, that is not true, i clearly explianed to a member of staff what happened. Nevertheless, due to the incident not being reported properly by staff, they returned the laptop without repair.

Now, As per the Whatever Happens Agreement, accidental protection/ breakdown/ mishaps/spills etc is covered under the plan, for which I have been paying since 2008. Also, despite stating in the letter that my Whatever Happens has been terminated and refusing to repair the computer, I had been charged for the months my computer has been broken and pending investigation (???); DSG Retail continued to charge me for the service and did not repair the laptop. So, a few weeks later, I had a call from an investigator, I explained them what happened and a week or two later i get an email/letter stating my claim has been declined. I continued to pay them until March 2015 i.e. 4 extra months and canceled it seeing my money was being wasted.

Do i have any ground to take them to a small claims court? I have tried using resolver to resolve this case prior to any court action, however they have stayed their ground on this subject. P>S My policy covered literally everything apart from theft or natural disasters.

Any help will be appreciated or just point me to the right direction? :)

Comments

• kpwll
    kpwll Posts: 4,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    They covered this on Rip Off Britain @ 9.30am this morning. You can probably see it on BBC iplayer.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Who is the investigator, is it a claims management company?

Why was your claim declined?
  • The investigator is a 3rd party company who just called me and asked me what the issue was. After telling them what happened, they rejected my claim via a letter (2-3 weeks later). But tbh, I dont understand why the investigator is involved. The laptop broke and they should be able to fix that considering i have paid them £9 pm for 6 years.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What was the water accident? Spilling a glass of water would be a mishap but dropping it in the bath would be neglect, if the former it would be covered under the terms of the agreement, if the latter it wouldn’t.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hitman11 wrote: »
    The investigator is a 3rd party company who just called me and asked me what the issue was. After telling them what happened, they rejected my claim via a letter (2-3 weeks later). But tbh, I dont understand why the investigator is involved. The laptop broke and they should be able to fix that considering i have paid them £9 pm for 6 years.

Just remember when you get your next laptop that £9 a month for 6 years would have been enough money to buy a pretty decent laptop now which will almost certainly be far better than the one you have.

So next time just save that money in the bank.
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Jesus christ when are these cowboys going to get shut down ??!!

PC world are an absolute joke
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Fosterdog wrote: »
    What was the water accident? Spilling a glass of water would be a mishap but dropping it in the bath would be neglect, if the former it would be covered under the terms of the agreement, if the latter it wouldn’t.

It is not that cut and dry, it would depend on the exact circumstances of dropping it in a bath as to whether it would be deemed neglect by a court of lae
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    dacouch wrote: »
    It is not that cut and dry, it would depend on the exact circumstances of dropping it in a bath as to whether it would be deemed neglect by a court of lae

IMO taking a laptop into a room with a bath filled with water is negligent, how can it be anything else? You wouldn’t take your kettle or toaster in there and most bathrooms don’t have an electric source (other than maybe a shaving socket) because bathroom and electrical appliances don’t mix. The are no circumstances I can think of that could ever be anything other than negligent. Even without a bath full of water the condensation an moisture in the air can cause damage.
  • I was enjoying a nice bath with Netflix actually. Sadly havent done it since this incident :-p When i picked up the laptop it slipped and banged on the side of the bathtub and into the water.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Hitman11 wrote: »
    I was enjoying a nice bath with Netflix actually. Sadly havent done it since this incident :-p When i picked up the laptop it slipped and banged on the side of the bathtub and into the water.

Do you have a copy of your policy? The current one excludes:
    Repair or replacement of the product which has been neglected, abused, misused, or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the product
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure