Graphics card strobing ONLY on Windows 7 login screen...?

2»

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No way! I was just about to send it back, when I double-checked for drivers on the manufacturer's (MSI's) website. Sure enough it said to go to nVidia to get the latest drivers.

But MSI provided one (v355.82) from a few years back, so I gave it a go. So far there's been no strobing on the login screen!

I upgraded to v381.65, and again there was no strobing!

I upgraded to v385.69 (the latest version) and the strobing returns.

So maybe it's a driver issue after all?!
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Now try booting into Windows, uninstalling the card completely, switching off the PC and then restarting. See if Windows picks up drivers for the card: it should do. If they work, try switching off and booting into Linux.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Robisere wrote: »
    Now try booting into Windows, uninstalling the card completely, switching off the PC and then restarting. See if Windows picks up drivers for the card: it should do. If they work, try switching off and booting into Linux.

Huh. Genius! After uninstalling the latest 385.69 driver via Device Manager, and rebooting... Windows automatically installs the older 381.65 driver.

When I run the GeForce Experience app, it prompts me to update to the latest driver version. But I guess (for some reason) it just isn't compatible with my system...?

I filed a bug report earlier with nVidia.

But... otherwise... it looks like this card is actually working fine, right?! Just some dodgy drivers?! So... can I go and play some games?! :p

Thanks again, everyone! :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport