Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

How to donate clothing to a homless person?

ohreally
ohreally Posts: 7,525
Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
I would like to donate some clothes to a homeless person but I'm wary of approaching a random individual.

I would like items to go to someone living rough, who will have a real need, any ideas on how I should do this?
Don’t be a can’t, be a can.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There are homeless projects in most towns and cities.
    Google them.

Homeless projects in .........should do it.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There are lots of people who are not actually living rough who also have a real need.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • w211
    w211 Posts: 700
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Your local church probably knows organisations, which you can donate your clothes to.
  • Salvation Army?
  • McKneff wrote: »
    There are lots of people who are not actually living rough who also have a real need.

Hen's teeth, I've just been reading this
    http://colchesternightshelter.org.uk/begging-and-the-night-shelter-service-charges/

Makes one think...
  • One of the much needed, but rarely donated items of clothing are socks & underwear. I always put my unwanted clothes in one of those clothing bins, and sometimes buy a pack of pants & cheap socks from Primani to throw in too.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Don't know if you have now found this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1557341
    Yes, an old thread but all the points in it remain valid, IMO.
    Hen's teeth, I've just been reading this
    http://colchesternightshelter.org.uk/begging-and-the-night-shelter-service-charges/

Makes one think...
    Certainly does. it's why my first thought on reading the OP's first post here was "if you don't want to build a relationship direct with a homeless person, then your best bet is to trust an organisation working in that field ...

Having said that, each local organisation will work in different ways. Not all will have the storage or facilities to give out clothing. Those that do may have restrictions on what they can accept, eg our local Christmas shelter wasn't looking for suits and shirts but welcomed less formal menswear.
    One of the much needed, but rarely donated items of clothing are socks & underwear. I always put my unwanted clothes in one of those clothing bins, and sometimes buy a pack of pants & cheap socks from Primani to throw in too.
    I was relieved to hear that you buy NEW underwear for this purpose!

Also worth pointing out that some of the public collection bins may not very directly benefit local charities. Some are more commercial enterprises, which give (or at least claim to give) a % to charity. So if you have strong feelings about what happens to your cast-offs, read the small print and pick your bin carefully!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • This is truly a great initiative, in fact nothing can be better than donating something to some needy people. In our area Outreach Center collects old cars to support underprivileged with basic needs.
  • Maybe ask a local Big Issue distribution office?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure