Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Donating duvets to charity

Primrose
Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
I have two virtually new single duvets in their covers to dispose of and am having difficulty finding a suitable charity to give them to as two charity shops I've approached told me "put them in the recycling bin" as they're not allowed to take them.

This is such a waste and I won't do this. Does anybody know of a national charity perhaps for the homeless or resettling refugees who would be able to make good use of them? There doesn't seem to be a Salvation Army in our area, and I don't know whether they take these kinds of products.

Comments

• Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    The Red Cross. Emmaus.

Alternatively, would a local women's refuge take them?
  • nanto3girls
    nanto3girls Posts: 5,951 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Even if mine were like new,i wouldn't expect anyone to want them.We gave ours to kennels,who said they like them for bedding for the dogs.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    I had a duvet I didn't want, nearly new. I cut it into nine squares and made nine dog/cat cushions out of them. Used an old duvet cover to cover them.

Yes, you could give it to a dog rescue.
    Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Doesn't that seem a waste. I've got a couple of nearly new duvets up on top of the wardrobes i was going to take to a charity shop. Surely at this time of year some homeless person would be glad of it.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • After downsizing, I put a feather duvet that had hardly been used on freegle, and someone came to collect it to make a bed for their cat.

I was happy with that, saved it going into landfill.

Most charities can't take them for hygiene reasons. Which is understandable.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I have just given 3 to the local Staffie rescue.
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Our local drop-in centre accepted a couple of sleeping bags for their clients so a similar place may take the duvets.
  • choille
    choille Posts: 9,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Put them on freecycle or gumtree for free. Them who need them will get them....
  • "put them in the recycling bin"
    Very poor advice. Unless whoever collects your recycling asks for duvets they will not want them.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    After downsizing, I put a feather duvet that had hardly been used on freegle, and someone came to collect it to make a bed for their cat.

I was happy with that, saved it going into landfill.

Most charities can't take them for hygiene reasons. Which is understandable.

Is it?

Don't people wash their charity shop buys as a matter of course?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure