Housing benefits change with boyfriend moving in

Ally_E.
Ally_E. Posts: 396
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 18 March 2011 at 11:26PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,945
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    why is he paying his brother if hes not living there?
    so he lives with you and pays his brother while the tax payer pays for both of you?

that is benefit fraud!
  • Your bf's income will be taken into account and you will loose your HB and CTB.

I would suggest your brother stops paying rent to his brother for a property he is not living in.
  • Ally_E.
    Forumite
    edited 18 March 2011 at 11:26PM
    we pay tax too. more than i get in benefits. so the way the council sees it if live together then def share the rent even if we don't in real life, isn't it?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Ally_E. wrote: »
    Hi, my boyfriend is moving in with me in my shared accommodation. I am on housing benefits now and would like to know how this situation will be affecting my benefits. He's moving in, but won't be paying rent, as can't afford atm, he's paying rent to his older brother at his old place until August 2011. He's working 12.5 hours a month and gets paid 800 post tax. I work less than 15 hours as well and get paid around 250. I want to notify the council of the change in circumstances, but the only change is that he's name will be officially on council tax bill, i won't be getting financial support from him, if anything I will be paying the rent on my own. Any advice what to expect from the benefits office?

When he moves in you'll be assessed for all means tested benefits (like HB, council tax benefit) as a couple, which will probably mean a big drop. You'll need to declare his income and savings as well as your own.

Have a look at the calculator on the turn2us site.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    we pay tax too. more than i get in benefits. he's paying because he has a contract there and doesn't want to terminate, as brother is in need of the money. so the way the council sees it if live together then def share the rent, isn't it?

It's not so much "sharing the rent", as that you are an item for the purposes of benefits.

If your friend, or sister, moved in with you then you'd get a "non-dependants deduction" in housing benefit which basically means they'd expect your friend to contribute towards the rent. But only their share.

But as it's your "boyfriend" you are classed as "living together as man and wife" which means everything is assessed jointly.

Maybe best wait till your bf's rent contract is up at the old place?
  • Ally_E.
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    When he moves in you'll be assessed for all means tested benefits (like HB, council tax benefit) as a couple, which will probably mean a big drop. You'll need to declare his income and savings as well as your own.

Have a look at the calculator on the turn2us site.

i tried turn2us and it just showed council tax benefit, not the housing one. does it mean after all the info i put in i'm no longer entitled?
  • Ally_E.
    Forumite
    It's not so much "sharing the rent", as that you are an item for the purposes of benefits.

If your friend, or sister, moved in with you then you'd get a "non-dependants deduction" in housing benefit which basically means they'd expect your friend to contribute towards the rent. But only their share.

But as it's your "boyfriend" you are classed as "living together as man and wife" which means everything is assessed jointly.

thanks for explaining.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    i tried turn2us and it just showed council tax benefit, not the housing one. does it mean after all the info i put in i'm no longer entitled?

It's unusual (if renting) to be entitled to council tax benefit but not housing benefit. You can usually get HB at higher incomes than CTB. What's your rent and council tax?
  • Ally_E.
    Forumite

It's unusual (if renting) to be entitled to council tax benefit but not housing benefit. You can usually get HB at higher incomes than CTB. What's your rent and council tax?

rent is 450 a month, CT 120, but reduced to 29 with my Council tax benefits.
  • zagfles
    Forumite
    rent is 450 a month, CT 120, but reduced to 29 with my Council tax benefits.

Don't get it then. Maybe the rent is too high to get HB on all of it - but even then would have thought you'd get some if you get CTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure