Appliances

Hi all

Just wanted to know I am in the process of buying appliances and electrics for the house as I am renovating it, I went to wickes and they suggested me to look at best buy on which but i was wondering is there any other place we can get reviews on which is the best washing machine, fridge freezer and stuff like that.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,008
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Which? Online?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Which? definitely. I'm not sure how much non-members are able to see online, though.

Otherwise, public libraries always used to keep paper copies of the monthly magazine, I don't know if they still do.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Go with Which? Its £1 for a trial - you can easily cancel within the trial period, otherwise its something like £8.50+ per month to remain on subscription.

I haven't found any free sites that perform comprehensive test reviews across ranges. Most websites go off the look of an appliance and the manufacturer specs, and do little in the way of real testing, and assessing owner feedback.
  • shays_mum
    shays_mum Posts: 1,693
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Keep to the branded ones, bosch, aeg (i like them personally compared to the other branded ones)miele etc. Then appliances direct, which i think is quite cheap & well recommended on this site.
    HTH :)
    No one said it was gonna be easy!
  • Myser
    Myser Posts: 1,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If my post hasn't helped you, then don't click the 'Thanks' button! ;)
  • tracey3596
    tracey3596 Posts: 661 Forumite
    Another "+" for Reevoo as above post ...... having recently replaced many of my major appliances, I found trawling through the reviews of people's ACTUAL EXPERIENCES time-consuming.
    BUT ultimately of more real value (to me, anyway) than the supposed "what is the best ...? " - type of editorial from subscription material.
    Simply - if 1200 people have actually bought "X" cooker and awarded it a total score of 4.9 out of a maximum 5, would I really want to risk a similar cooker that say 35 people scored 3.2?
    As stated though, time-consuming. :eek:
  • CKdesigner
    CKdesigner Posts: 1,234
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree that generally Which reports are generally fairly good and that review sites are also generally good, but I can't help thinking great reviews on review websites just 'snowball' by people that actually don't know a lot!

If a consumer needs a new washing machine, for example, they would typically read some positive reviews about it on a website, so they think they will buy one. After a week or 2 they also then write a good review on the washing machine, but what experience have they had of other comparable washing machines? How do they truly know they have the best washing machine for them and the money they have spent, other than the fact that equally knowledgeable consumers have also purchased it and thought it OK. There might be another washing machine out there that is significantly better for them but simply hasn't been reviewed.

However, constant reviews of products that rate them as poor I think have more weight, as ultimately many consumers have felt the product to be poor value for money.

CK
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,224
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Don't forget to look at using Cashback Sites for purchases Example http://www.topcashback.co.uk/search/merchants/?s=Wickes :money:

Cash BACK IS never GUARANTEED :beer:
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    shays_mum wrote: »
    Keep to the branded ones, bosch, aeg (i like them personally compared to the other branded ones)miele etc. Then appliances direct, which i think is quite cheap & well recommended on this site.
    HTH :)
    It does - you've answered the question I had in mind this morning ("Is Appliances Direct recommended by MSE?") but if you could point me to where on site that would be great.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure