First Time Buyer Mortgage Questions

Options
Hi all,

I've read quite a few things on the forum but this is my first time posting.

Quick intro, we are two first time buyers with salaries of 20k and 30k and one good, one average credit score and have had an offer accepted on a property worth £185k, we're going in with a 10% deposit. The offer was accepted about two months ago and since then we've been trying to keep our bank statements a bit clearer and easy to read, could do with some advice though.

Basically I always pay on credit cards for everything and anything due to the cashback and protection they offer (pay them off in full every month), therefore submitting my bank statements to the lender won't really show that much and will also show very little about my lifestyle. My bank statement usually has a handful of transactions - deposits into a savings account, everyday spend credit card and gambling transactions. Is it worth offering to submit the credit card statements too so they can see where my money is actually going so they can create a picture of me and my lifestyle?

Another query I have is how much impact will a recent 'missed payment' (within last 3-6 months) have, and how much good will the Notice of Correction realistically do? I say 'missed payment' because I set up a standing order to send money into my regular saver for my deposit instead of moving money manually on payday, and could you believe it, come pay day I completely forgot and moved the money myself! Come standing order day it wiped my bank account into the red and it ended up being reversed. I've now contacted the credit reference agencies to add a NoC to basically say 1) it was voluntary payments to a savings account and 2) it was payed regardless, just happened to be manually a few days previous.

Also, I have a handful of gambling transactions every month, totalling £50 per month, which I see as very little as I am still living at home with very little commitments and save anywhere between £700-900 a month (I luckily live in the North East!). I've never went into my overdraft, except for the mistake mentioned before' nor have I missed a payment or anything for gambling, is that all they'll actually be concerned about or will any form of gambling flag up as a risk?

Another unusual one is that we are both part of a scheme where we provide feedback on restaurants, bars and hotels in return for free stuff, so my credit card statements probably paint the picture of somebody who has a somewhat luxurious lifestyle for my salary, my question is how personal do mortgage applications get? Am I able to provide, say, letters that can clarify these transactions and what they are or is it like an online credit card application, which is the only real experience with credit I have, which is basically a quick and automatic answer within a minute?

Apologies for the long post, I usually see myself as being good with my money but mortgage applications seem to be a much bigger and more complex kettle of fish and i'm wondering what is actually important criteria for the lender here and how much effect will the credit card statements, missed payment and NoC actually have, anybody with experience?

Cheers,
Mark

Comments

• glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    First of all, has the lender asked you to provide bank statements? It is becoming less and less common nowadays. In terms of the credit card statements, wait and see if they do query your bank statements first of all. Theres no need to provide documents which they haven't asked for.

In regards to the Notice of Correction, I am not sure that one late payment is a sufficient reason to put one on your file. They can turn what can be an instant approval to a referral to an underwriter purely because of the notice of correction on file. I would probably suggest you do not put a NoC on the file, and explain to the advisor at the point of application the circumstances regarding the late payment, and if it does cause problems once they obtain a decision then they can refer it down to the underwriter with that information. However, if you do have a late payment on your file which is recent then choose your lender carefully as with some it can be a decline no matter how trivial.

On the gambling point, as long as the levels involved are considered affordable for you, then I don't really see it being much of an issue.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    You had an offer accepted 2 months ago and you have not even made an application yet?!?! How is the agent not on your case?! I would expect you to be nearing completion by now.

Do not put the notice of correction on file. The simplest way to look at it is that a computer reads your credit report. It can read numbers and figures. It can not read a note you put on and so automatically kicks it out for an underwriter to assess. It should not change the overall outcome of your application, but it will likely delay the decision.

We have a saying in the industry as a whole, only provide whatever is asked for. Nothing more, nothing less. So do not give them credit card statements unless they ask for them.

Gambling transactions can be an issue with some lenders, so cover that off before applying with the lender - or your broker if you are using one.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • markuss91
    markuss91 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    The chain is not complete yet so we have not applied for a mortgage.

I understand what you mean about the NoC, it is a bit unusual and will be flagged on the credit search, i'll not add them.

What do you mean cover my gambling transactions, as in hide them and only show the amount, I didn't think this was allowed?

Thanks for your advice everyone!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,727 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Cover it off, as in speak to the lender about it before applying. They may have an issue, they may not. But I always run anything that could be an issue by a lender before applying.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure