Trying to find a decent credit card for abroad purchases preferably interest free

Not really interested in the Tesco or Sainsbury CC offers as they seem to be more orientated with grocery shopping. I'm looking for and interest free credit card specifically for holiday flights and Accomo. whilst having a back up/big purchases abroad CC. Any recommendations - I was thinking possibly AA (had a bad experience with them previously being tight on the credit limit though) or Halifax but I will have to close my current Halifax credit card unless I can call them up and change it??

Comments

• ARH_2
    ARH_2 Posts: 109
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Both of these have perfect overseas rates:

Halifax clarity - not interest free, but £20 into cashback, which could offset this.

Nationwide select (you have to be a nationwide customer) - has an 0% intro too.

EDIT: Do you have to close a current Halifax credit card? I'd suggest giving them a ring, but you'll likely miss out on the intro £20.
  • Alexd52
    Alexd52 Posts: 318
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you are thinking of the Halifax Clarity card, you may not have to close your Halifax Mastercard first. I currently have both.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,375
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    See http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards for a fairly comprehensive analysis....
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You could get the best possible 0% card, then to avoid the overseas fees link it to a Travelex Supercard and use it that way (but not for withdrawals). It should be counted as purchases on the 0% card, others may confirm (or not). Carry backup as the Supercard sometimes fails.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • ironagedave
    ironagedave Posts: 22 Forumite
    Yes, I was thinking of calling them and seeing if 'I could trade it in' it was an old BT credit card and I moved that over to a different card - I have only kept because of the credit limit keeping my borrowing levels comparatively low.
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    eDicky wrote: »
    You could get the best possible 0% card, then to avoid the overseas fees link it to a Travelex Supercard and use it that way (but not for withdrawals). It should be counted as purchases on the 0% card, others may confirm (or not). Carry backup as the Supercard sometimes fails.

Haven't they not been accepting new applications for over a year now? A bit pointless to recommend if no-one other than those who registered for the pilot card are able to get it.
    https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard/faqs

You can only have a maximum of two credit cards with Halifax Bank and a maximum of five within Lloyds Banking Group (which includes Bank of Scotland and Lloyds).

If you already have an old Halifax card, you'd be better off applying for the Clarity card as a new application because of the £20 offer, that way if your limit is too low you can transfer the existing credit limit from your old Halifax card over and then close it.

https://www.halifax.co.uk/creditcards/clarity-card/

If you want the best card for 0% purchased abroad, then Nationwide Select credit card is the one:
    http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/credit-cards/select/features-and-benefits

You do need to be a Nationwide current account holder however.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,547
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Candyapple wrote: »
    Haven't they not been accepting new applications for over a year now? A bit pointless to recommend if no-one other than those who registered for the pilot card are able to get it.
    https://www.travelex.co.uk/services/supercard/faqs
    "Unfortunately, we’re currently experiencing a processing issue, which means we’re unable to send out any new Supercards at the moment"

Does anyone know how long this has been showing?

Supercard applications were not restricted to pilot card users.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • kovacsi76
    kovacsi76 Posts: 30
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If it's for purchases, have a look at Virgin's travel credit card. It has 0% interest for 12 months on purchases and 0% non-sterling transaction fee. Do not use for cash, as it carries a 5% fee for cash withdrawals.
  • This card was brilliant for our Euro holidays, as it was linked to our Santander account but they charge £1.25 per transaction where the supercard did not.
    However today we received a letter from Travelex saying the card was being discontinued as not viable. it ends in July 2017. such a shame. So folks you wont be able to apply for this one.
  • I'm looking at the Virgin travel credit Card and barclays Travel Card.

Has anyone used these? Just wanted ot check if ive understood the exact terms of these cards:

Virgin is interest free on foreign purchases for 12 months, you dont have to repay balance in full each month and there is no transaction fee. There is a charge on withdrawals.

Baclaycarsd is interest free for withdrawal and purchases if you repay the balance in full every month, but there is no transaction fee until 2022.

If ive got the above correct, im probably leaning for Virgin and i'll apply for a separate pre-loaded debit card for withdrawals.

ANy advice appreciated, thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport