Falsely accused of shoplifting

Just recently myself and my son ( is 23 with learning disabilities) have been accused of shoplifting in our local store. This store is a very big name store in the UK.
We weren't detained or searched in the store. I was in the shop buying my daughter (is 14 & is a selective mute.) something for her breakfast a drink and some water and the store manager came up to me and asked to have a word with me at the back of the store.
I was in a rush as we had to get to my daughter's bus stop so I told her this.
She said to me that I might as well put the goods down as I'm not going to be served as myself and my son had been seen on CCTV shoplifting.
I was gobsmacked to say the least.
I asked to see the CCTV footage of us stealing and she said No I can't do that.
So being very shocked and confused I just said to her but I don't steal, and she said very aggressively Yes you were!!!
At that point I put the goods back and walked out of the store to find my daughter crying :mad:
What can I do?
What are my rights and how far should I go?

This is what I have done so far.
I have emailed the company customer care staff twice and rung them. I have only had one email back from the first contact email from them.
Solicitors can't help because I wasn't arrested or have police involvement.
CAB can't help yet only if I'm not happy with the outcome.
The police lady I spoke to was very kind understanding and helpful and gave me a lot questions to ask them.
I am now getting a letter of complaint together to send to head office. (I will be keeping a copy of that letter:D)
I just hate the waiting & not knowing. It's all just so inconvenient and unfair.

Comments

• The_Old_Bag
    The_Old_Bag Posts: 4,706 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Inconvenient is not the word I would use.
    I don't think this is the right area to get the right sort of advice.....
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    You've put in a complaint, so there's nothing more to do, really.

When you say "waiting & not knowing", what don't you know? Whether you're permanently banned from the store? Or just whether you get an apology?

What outcome would you like?
  • loftykins
    loftykins Posts: 25 Forumite
    never heard of being accused of shoplifting while still in the store, did you eat or drink anything while in the store?
    If they saw you take something and had it on cctv why would they let you leave the store with the items?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 5:52PM
    loftykins wrote: »
    never heard of being accused of shoplifting while still in the store, did you eat or drink anything while in the store?
    If they saw you take something and had it on cctv why would they let you leave the store with the items?

I don't think this happened in the case the OP describes, but in many places you havent actually stolen it until you pas the last possible place to pay for it, aka, outside.

Anyway, OP. Were you doing anything which could have been considered suspicious? Putting items in a bag for life? You say your son has a LD, was he doing anything which to an outsider who does not know his behaviours be misinterpreted? (my grandad had dementia, he would pick up things in shops and pocket them, all the time)

However, the bones of it are. You were 'accused' in store, declined to discuss it and were not searched or detained. You left the store. Thats it. Youve made a complaint regarding how you were treated. What else do you want? An apology?
    Put it this way, you're not going to get anything else, money etc (maybe a small 'go away' voucher) there's no compensation for making a child cry and making you feel inconvenienced(?) and annoyed
  • loftykins
    loftykins Posts: 25 Forumite
    that's my point, you have not stolen anything until you leave the store without paying for it.
    Perhaps they were helping themselves to pick n mix or something similar (theft by consumption)
    I am also confused as to why the OP didn't have time for a word with the manager but had time to view the cctv if they were allowed.

My bet is that there is a lot more to this story the OP is not telling us.
    I also fail to see the relevance of her children's disabilities.
  • marliepanda
    Well if there was concealment or consumption then yes.

Selective mutism on its own isn't a disability, but it's irrelevant, agreed. As are the sons unless he was doing something due to his LD which could be misinterpreted (easily done)

Shop managers don't tend to accuse people for no reason and in the manner which always seems to find its way onto news sites and forums.

Even if the shop manager had ran at them shouting 'stop thief' there wouldn't be a combo claim to answer. Why solicitors have been mentioned is crazy, as is the CAB. And the police?! What a waste of everyone's time. You simply say 'I'm not stealing and you should get your story straight before accusing. I'll be taking my custom elsewhere' end of story.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Request a copy of the CCTV evidence, under the DP Act, Subject Access Request (SAR).
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • marliepanda
    Request a copy of the CCTV evidence, under the DP Act, Subject Access Request (SAR).

Why waste a tenner?
  • Why waste a tenner?

The store concerned may not levy a charge for supply a copy of the CCTV recording.
    The £10 is only the maximum that can be charged and not an amount that must be charged.
  • marliepanda
    The store concerned may not levy a charge for supply a copy of the CCTV recording.
    The £10 is only the maximum that can be charged and not an amount that must be charged.

Okay, so even if it is free, the OP either gets a film of some possibly suspicious activity, or one with absolutely nothing.

It will make zero difference to the outcome of this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure