PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

How long did you/will you spend in your first home?

Options

Comments

• GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    First house (2-bed Victorian terrace) we stayed in for about 4 years. For me it was never 'home', just a house. Current house (3-bed 30's detached) we've now been in for just over 8 years. It was a plan to be here at least 10, but probably for many many years more, but our thoughts about what we want in life have changed. We now want the ability for our daughter to play out with her school friends etc, which we just wouldn't feel safe doing on the main road that we live on. We're now looking at a new build on the edge of an estate up the road.....completely against what either of us have ever wanted in the past! Chances are we will stay there for 10-15 years and then, if anything, downsize to another character property....although it could well be a longer term than that.
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just got my place last year. Had everything I wanted (area I wanted, big garage, nice garden, etc) apart from the fact it is a 2-bed instead of a 3-bed. Not much of an issue right now, but if I ever had kids, the current spare room / study would be no more. So need another room some point down the line.

I hope that in a few years I will have overpaid a fair bit and saved up even more, so I can look at moving onto the next place. Also, this place is all mine, obviously if I move to get a bigger place for kids I'll have a partner who can contribute also. :)
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 October 2016 at 2:18PM
    Options
    First home was a one-bed Victorian mansion-type flat overlooking the sea on the south coast. We were there two years before selling it and buying a three-bed Victorian terraced house slightly further inland. We moved from flat to house when DS was six weeks old. There have been several other houses since then, the largest a six-bed Victorian 'villa' where we spent the longest time - ten years.

Current house - four-bed detached Victorian/Arts & Crafts with large garden - is a downsize from our previous houses, but still of a reasonable size as DH and I like our own space. We purchased it in December 2014 and will probably be selling up next year when we've completed the restoration works :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • firebird082
    Options
    Bought our first house (2 bed terrace) 2 years ago. Like the area, love the garden, so now can't consider selling as I've put too much effort into making the garden fabulous! We plan to extend to make it suitable for us + children. Luckily this is an option, as we were aware that it was when we were buying.
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Three years in my first house. I would have stayed but I needed to leave the area for work and personal reasons. I bought a flat, which I've been in my current flat a year and hate, so I have thrown in the towel and am moving again in November, to what I hope will be my forever home.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    9 years next month, all I could afford, would love too but cannot afford to move on.
  • lcfcstephen
    Options
    I have just bought a 2 bed house and like others am planning to move in probably around five years. But depends on factors like children and money. We will definitely move at some point if all goes to plan. And will probably wait at least five years to build up enough equity - especially with getting a help to buy loan to help borrow enough to be able to borrow (despite a sizeable deposit). I would hope that the next house is a 10-15-20 year house if not a forever house, but not sure that will be possibly. Though five years is a long time!
    Mortgage Debt £53,879.68 as of 2nd July
    Help to Buy Equity Loan Debt £26,799
    Total Debt: £80,678.68 of £133,995 two bed house
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Looking around at property where we are a 3 bed semi to a 3 bed detached isn't that big of a jump in price

Its if you want a 4 bed detached that it becomes a lot more expensive
  • ap1985
    ap1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    I am in the process of buying my house. However, I aim to stay there for around 10 years at least before moving on...I want to have children so I am sure when that time comes and they grow older my husband and I will need a bigger house :)
    :jFinally going to be a homeowner:T
  • lee111s
    lee111s Posts: 2,988 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    3.5 years. Should be out of it in about 6-8 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure