IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

POPLA Decisions

Comments

• Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Ah well at least we know a POPLA appeal can be won on this instead of the usual no GPEOL.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
  • aabs
    aabs Posts: 46 Forumite
    I would like to thank all forum members who have helped with my appeal and would like to give a mention to the follow member for helping give me the confidence and support to make my appeal

Coupon Mad, Dee140157, HO87 and ColliesCarer
    It's annoying that these outfits can demand money and cause so much stress to the RK then not even bother to submit an evidence pack to even try to justify their actions.

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.
    The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.
    Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.
  • Merulius52 wrote: »
    Circs: overstay in shopping mall car park, free for 3 hours.

Adjudicator said

failed to show that they complied with the relevant requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

WOW!!!!!!!!!

This is a rare occurrence indeed [if it were a bird the twitchers would be flocking for a sighting of it]....something other than GPEOL or PSDSU.

Would be interesting to see more of the relevant appeal points.
  • bargepole
    bargepole Posts: 3,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Merulius52 wrote: »
    Adjudicator said

failed to show that they complied with the relevant requirements of Schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012.

No more detail than that, sadly.

I had listed about 7 non-compliances, so not sure which was convincing, plus a number of other grounds, including GPEOL.
    Once the assessor finds one ground on which to allow the appeal, he doesn't need to consider or address the other points.

The fact that they didn't comply with POFA kills it stone dead, everything else is immaterial.

I have been providing assistance, including Lay Representation at Court hearings (current score: won 57, lost 14), to defendants in parking cases for over 5 years. I have an LLB (Hons) degree, and have a Graduate Diploma in Civil Litigation from CILEx. However, any advice given on these forums by me is NOT formal legal advice, and I accept no liability for its accuracy.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,345 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Previously though they've homed in on GPEOL even though there have been PoFA non-compliance issues raised within the appeal.

It does seem to me that Assessors are either starting to get a better grip and understanding on the nuances and subtleties of PoFA non-compliance and/or GPEOL is sitting on slightly thinner (albeit rather thick) ice now?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • DollyDee_2
    DollyDee_2 Posts: 765 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=92529

Is it this one?
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,614 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 16 August 2014 at 9:46PM
    DollyDee wrote: »
    forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=92529

Is it this one?
    Ooooh that's interesting!

No (unless there was a typo about the PPC) it can't be the same case as the above one was v 'Civil Enforcement' so the thread said?

The pepipoo single decision case was v CP Plus at a Motorway Services (same sort of case where CP Plus actually WON at POPLA last month!):

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=92529

The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.

The Assessor's reasons are as set out.

The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor's Determination

The Operator issued parking charge notice number XXX arising out of the presence at XXX, on XXX, of a vehicle with registration mark XXX for exceeding the maximum permitted stay and not making payment for parking thereafter.

It is the Operator's case that the Appellant's vehicle was parked in excess of the maximum permitted stay and they did not make payment for parking thereafter and this was a breach of the terms and conditions of parking as set out on signage at the site.

The Appellant states that they have never admitted to being the driver of the vehicle and therefore the parking charge notice is not valid. The Appellant states that the Operator has not complied with the requirements of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 in order to establish keeper liability.

Having reviewed the evidence, the Operator states that they are pursuing the Appellant as the driver of the vehicle and not the registered keeper and therefore the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 is not applicable. As the Operator is pursuing the Appellant as the driver of the vehicle, the burden rests on the Operator to prove that the Appellant was the driver. The Appellant has not admitted to being the driver of the vehicle and I am not satisfied that the Operator has shown that they were the driver. The onus is on the Operator to prove their case against the Appellant and on this occasion they have not done so.

Accordingly, this appeal is allowed.

Nozir Uddin
    Assessor
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Thanks to all of those that helped me / contribute to this forum...

14/08/2014

Reasons for the Assessor’s Determination

It is the Appellant’s case that the parking charge notice was issued incorrectly.

The Operator has not produced a copy of the parking charge notice, nor any evidence to show a breach of the conditions of parking occurred, nor any evidence that shows what the conditions of parking, in fact, were.

Accordingly I have no option but to allow the appeal.

Shehla Pirwany
    Assessor

:money::money::money::money::money::money::money:
  • I have just had an appeal allowed on failing to show the keeper liable.

This was slightly different however as the copy of the one produced to POPLA was not the actual one they sent me, it was just the template for it.

POPLA claimed they are unable to rely upon that as evidence.
  • Dee140157
    Dee140157 Posts: 2,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    That sounds odd.

However another win on POFA 12.
    Newbie thread: go to the top of this page and find these words: Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Motoring > Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Click on words Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking. Newbie thread is the first post. Blue New Thread button is just above it to left.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback