Go Skippy Car insurance

Options

Comments

• vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    apollo13 wrote: »
    .......I have bought a second car. I have a 4 yrs no claim bonus on my first car. Now I want to use that bonus on my second car on my current insurer by telling them that I don't want to insure my first car but instead second car. Hopefully they will do this.

Now I am left with my first car without insurance, bear in mind (although it is illegal) I still have the 4yrs discount insurance certificate of my first car with me. So now I will go and find another Insurer to insure my first car, showing them I have 4yrs no claim discount(basically I am lying about this) But will this work I mean I know I can't insure two cars on same no claim discount. Will the new insurer find out about this? They don't do cross check now do they? What do you think guys?

P.S I had lost my 3 years no claim bonus in an accident (car was written off obviously) but was eventually able to get it back by showing that same 3 years no claim bonus to the new insurer and thus currently on 4yrs running with the current insurer.

well I suppose as the current insurance is fraudulent then having two fraudulent policies rather than one isn't a great difference. Can't see how having 2 makes you more likely to get caught either

Might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb

I suppose the other alternative is to be honest with your insurer, extract yourself from the web of stored up trouble you have constructed and pay the appropriate premium
  • sanedriver
    Options
    Buzby wrote: »
    I've been with them for 6 years with no issues (and 1 claim). They appear to be the clout behind 10+ brands who offer different targeted services on differing websites, however that's simply the shop front, behind the scenes they are no different than any other established company and they have always been a little cheaper than the 'big' names.

I've no issue with their services so far, and do not expect this to change.

That's odd I just spoke with an agent from Go Skippy after numerous problems who confirmed they were a new company only trading for a couple of years now. Hence not having a proper system set up yet and still the need to send in copies of licences etc. Most companies and all i've used in the past are able to query the DVLA directly and use MIB database to confirm claims and can confirm NCD by just taking your old policy number and confirming it direct with the insurer.

They also take out finance instead of setting up a direct debit and have a whopping £75 minumum cancellation charge. It's the first insurer i've had in years that have been borderline useless. I would avoid this company and am personally gutted I decided to save the tenner and go with an unknown unheard of company.
  • blaiser
    Options
    sanedriver wrote: »
    That's odd I just spoke with an agent from Go Skippy after numerous problems who confirmed they were a new company only trading for a couple of years now. Hence not having a proper system set up yet and still the need to send in copies of licences etc. Most companies and all i've used in the past are able to query the DVLA directly and use MIB database to confirm claims and can confirm NCD by just taking your old policy number and confirming it direct with the insurer.

They also take out finance instead of setting up a direct debit and have a whopping £75 minumum cancellation charge. It's the first insurer i've had in years that have been borderline useless. I would avoid this company and am personally gutted I decided to save the tenner and go with an unknown unheard of company.

I wish I read this thread before I got my insurance from goskippy - they have not even been around year so I don't know what the previous poster is on about.

I am in the process of cancellation my insurance with them which I bought yesterday - they said they charge £20 for cancelling my policy and £25 for cancelling the direct debit.

I understanding the £20 for cancelling the policy but never ever heard being charged for cancelling the direct debit.

These insurance companies have unfair and unreasonable fees - relating to 'admin charges' - and top of this high adjustment insurance premiums for any changes to the policy.
  • rs65
    rs65 Posts: 5,682 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    blaiser wrote: »
    I wish I read this thread before I got my insurance from goskippy - they have not even been around year so I don't know what the previous poster is on about.
    According to the FSA register, Go Skippy is just a trading name of Eldon. Go skippy is registered since May 2013 - Eldon registered since 2008.

Look at companycheck for more info.
  • blaiser
    Options
    rs65 wrote: »
    According to the FSA register, Go Skippy is just a trading name of Eldon. Go skippy is registered since May 2013 - Eldon registered since 2008.

Look at companycheck for more info.
    exactly registered since Feb 2013 - I make it 7 months not 6 years.

I know go skippy parent company are based in Gibraltar and been trading for a decade or so.
  • rs65
    Options
    Go skippy is a trading name of Eldon - FSA register shows it registered by them in May 2013.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register/firmNamesCurr.do?sid=196236

I guess things have changed since the first post.
  • blaiser
    Options
    whenever they started trading in the UK or when they were registered is not important - but the complaints regarding their excess charges.

charging a whopping £75 to cancel a policy or adding excessive fees or charging excessively high premiums for adjustments and changes to policy is totally unfair and unreasonably in my opinion.

I wonder if insurance companies like goskippy are complying with the consumer protection from unfair trading reglations :question:
  • rs65
    Options
    Charges have been referred to the FOS in the past and £50 seems to be the benchmark - or certainly it was a few years ago. The FOS deemed justifiable charges to be acceptable.

The £20 you were charged is near the bottom end reported on here.

The charge for cancelling the direct debit is probably actually a charge for cancelling the credit agreement. The credit agreement will be with an external provider - separate from the insurance itself.
  • blaiser
    blaiser Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 26 September 2013 at 7:17AM
    Options
    I remember cancelling my car insurance three years ago and it cost me £25 admin fee and I got all my deposit back..

Goskippy said over the phone £45 to cancel my policy - but I think once the final bill comes it will be at least £75..... plus and other fees they will add. As their t&c stated that.

This seems very excessive to me - to cancel a policy.

A year ago I remember Which having a report on hidden insurance charges. (I would post a link but I can't)

These fees and charges keep going higher and higher - also they seem to be bringing in fees for whatever they can...
  • AFCBdave
    Options
    apollo13 wrote: »
    For some reason I couldn't post a new thread so I had to nose in. My apologies.

I have bought a second car. I have a 4 yrs no claim bonus on my first car. Now I want to use that bonus on my second car on my current insurer by telling them that I don't want to insure my first car but instead second car. Hopefully they will do this.

Now I am left with my first car without insurance, bear in mind (although it is illegal) I still have the 4yrs discount insurance certificate of my first car with me. So now I will go and find another Insurer to insure my first car, showing them I have 4yrs no claim discount(basically I am lying about this) But will this work I mean I know I can't insure two cars on same no claim discount. Will the new insurer find out about this? They don't do cross check now do they? What do you think guys?

P.S I had lost my 3 years no claim bonus in an accident (car was written off obviously) but was eventually able to get it back by showing that same 3 years no claim bonus to the new insurer and thus currently on 4yrs running with the current insurer.

This is either a time-wasting attention-seeking knob trying to wind us all up, or a perfect example of why we are all paying sky high premiums for our car insurance.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure