Valuation complete but no offer

Valuation was completed 8 days ago by Kensington. Broker says it went fine. Employment references were sent and only query was regarding the second applicants method of working as it's a 2 hour commute. Hopefully the references have satisfied, but we still haven't received an offer. Any idea of this is normal for a case to be stuck after valuation ? Could we get declined even at this stage ?

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Underwriters have busy in trays. Your case has thrown something up which is not the norm. Due consideration will therefore be required.
  • mgxeab
    mgxeab Posts: 16 Forumite
    Thanks, but am I'm correct in thinking that if there was a real problem and they wanted to decline, then it would have declined already? In other words no news is good news? We're still in there?
  • Just following this as we are in the same boat and am interested in how you get on :)
  • mgxeab
    So just to update then. They approached my wife's employers no less than 5 times. The HR department have completely satisfied their requests (ability to work remotely, flexible working policies and permanency of the job as well as its continuation). The actual "working pattern" cannot be defined and HR are not obliged to confirm and commit to any of these aspects due to unpredictability of week by week work patterns. On that basis alone Kensington underwriter has declined the mortgage.

This is unacceptable but our hands are completely tied. My broker has managed to resurrect some re-evaluation of the case by offering to provide (by my wife) a written statement providing an example typical working week involving the flexible working and office based working. Along with potential costs involved.

We are providing this now, however, seriously considering some kind of legal action as they simply cannot expect employers to dictate or confirm a working pattern that is no fixed.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    mgxeab wrote: »
    We are providing this now, however, seriously considering some kind of legal action as they simply cannot expect employers to dictate or confirm a working pattern that is no fixed.

You are barking up the wrong tree I'm afraid to say. There is no right to a mortgage. The lenders underwriters are the ones to decide whether they'll accept your application. If there's aspects that do not meet their own internally set criteria. Then to say no is their prerogative. That's the nature of lending in general.
  • mgxeab
    No company is immune to complaints legal or otherwise - especially if the outcome results in placing a customer in an unfavourable position both with their employers, financially and undue stress. Sure they can decline but to do so in such a manner is not something they are allowed to just get away with.
  • I'm the the process of waiting for an offer from Kensington. The house was bought 4 weeks ago. Full submission went in last week and now waiting for an offer. Wondering how long the process takes. Getting a little impatient.
  • BLOW_FLY
    BLOW_FLY Posts: 115 Forumite
    Ashlea9175 wrote: »
    I'm the the process of waiting for an offer from Kensington. The house was bought 4 weeks ago. Full submission went in last week and now waiting for an offer. Wondering how long the process takes. Getting a little impatient.

Here is a quote from ACG on another thread about Kensington:

"Kensington do usually get there, they are just ridiculous when it comes to underwriting. I always pre-warn my clients if we use kensington (and one or 2 other lenders) that they will make it hard work and that it is not a sign of their application being a bad one, it is just kensington being a nightmare for everyone."

BF
  • Ajhoyle
    Ajhoyle Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi. We've just done our mortgage application today with Kensington... anyone any ideas on timescales start to finish. Full mortgage app to offer?
  • MrMortgages
    MrMortgages Posts: 12 Forumite
    I have just completed one with Kensington for a client, it took 5 weeks to get a full offer. They are painfully slow and awkward to deal with, but needs must.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure