Tumble Dryers Fire Risk - Hotpoint / Indesit / Creda

Options

Comments

• amat_endura
    amat_endura Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I registered in November and got a repair date estimate of April. I checked the link yesterday and it showed no month at all, so this morning I rang 0800 151 0905 and got a very quiet and shy sounding woman who gave no explanation for why the date had been removed and instead gave me another number to ring to book the repair (03448 224224). I tried explaining that making me wait more on top of 6 months was not acceptable, and tried to negotiate a free replacement. All I got was the response that these machines are safe, they just want to make them safer! Then the usual advice, clean the filter and don't leave unattended.

I don't think it helps that there isn't much cross talk between Hotpoint, Whirlpool and Indesit. I'll keep trying and may have a pop with Resolver. When people use the Whirlpool enquiry form which options do they chose from the drop downs?
  • Ellemay
    Ellemay Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I paid £99 for a replacement condenser Dryer. It was delivered yesterday but I found out today it is not the model I ordered. I phoned Hotpoint and they said they could change it but it would cost me £50 for a re-stocking fee. He quoted their T&C's state they can supply a similar product. I have found very few reviews of this machine and they have not been favourable. I ordered TDWSF83BEZ. I got TDWSF83EPZ(UK). Can I insist on the machine I paid for or are they within their rights?
  • amat_endura
    amat_endura Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    After posting on the forum I used the contact form on the website and just put it through as a general enquiry. By the end of the day I'd had a phone call and made a repair appointment for the next week. This was carried out Wednesday with the only hitch being that I was supposed to be contacted when the repair tech was on their way, which didn't happen.

All sorted now, would have been nice to blag a new dryer but that wasn't to be.
  • happytom
    Options
    after waiting months for engineer ,they eventually came and on watching him in my kitchen I said just what are you doing to make safe my machine he replied to be honest nothing the back i take of is the same as the one i will put on this is what we do take it up with them .i was gob smacked all this time waiting the trips to wash house plus extra costs for him to say that i said i have no faith in the machine and don,t want it he said tell them , when i phoned up on one off those live chats because they don,t answer phone they said to me you are no longer are concern you have been removed from our lists , what kind of company runs like this ? they should give every one their money back and should be very embarrassed for putting peoples lives in danger it is truly disgusting how they have treated me and i want people to know that telling people to wait for engineer is a scam a lie so beware ,i will tell watchdog my mp and every site i can find and with your help we can stop there tricks thank-you
  • New_Body
    Options
    Just been on Live Chat with the company for couple of hours. Not prepared to offer a free replacement if machine older than 12 months. What was of real concern however was that the company can not guarantee that the repair will remove the risk of fire. I asked very direct and simple questions: does the repair remove any risk? Is it 100% guaranteed? Got non committal answers. People who have had the repair still have a potentially dangerous machine in their houses.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    New_Body wrote: »
    I asked very direct and simple questions: does the repair remove any risk? Is it 100% guaranteed? Got non committal answers. People who have had the repair still have a potentially dangerous machine in their houses.

It's totally impossible to have any electrical item that is totally risk free and guaranteed not to catch fire so it's extremely unlikely that any retailer or manufacturer would ever make this claim.
    All they can do is to repair or replace the suspect item and therefore reduce the risk to an acceptable level.
  • jsbach
    jsbach Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Indesit say it is safe to use a tumble drier so long as you do not go out or go to bed when it is on. What they do not tell us is what to do if there IS a problem.

In the unlikely event I decide to sit reading a book for an hour whilst my washing is drying and, during that time, a fault develops, presumably the first I will notice is a smell or some smoke. Is it then, the advice to turn off the machine (which I would) or to use a electrical fire extinguisher OR to get out of the house and dial 999.

Presumably there must be some advantage in not going out or to be whilst the machine is on.

Incidentally, when I checked my machine online a few months ago it was said to be OK. When I had a letter from Indesit last week saying I still had not registered my machine, I rechecked the number and - lo and behold - it is now an affected one.
  • Did someone had the chance to see what the engineer is modifying at the affected appliance? Couldn't this be done by none Whirlpool services?
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jsbach wrote: »
    Indesit say it is safe to use a tumble drier so long as you do not go out or go to bed when it is on. What they do not tell us is what to do if there IS a problem.

In the unlikely event I decide to sit reading a book for an hour whilst my washing is drying and, during that time, a fault develops, presumably the first I will notice is a smell or some smoke. Is it then, the advice to turn off the machine (which I would) or to use a electrical fire extinguisher OR to get out of the house and dial 999.

Presumably there must be some advantage in not going out or to be whilst the machine is on.

Incidentally, when I checked my machine online a few months ago it was said to be OK. When I had a letter from Indesit last week saying I still had not registered my machine, I rechecked the number and - lo and behold - it is now an affected one.

Well what would you do if your oven, washing machine, dishwasher, fridge, TV etc caught fire? Do you need specific instructions from all your appliance manufacturers as to how to react if one catches fire? They all carry a risk, a washing machine even more so.

productsafety_large-406055.jpg

If you're in/awake you will smell any smoulderings before they become a fire, if you're out/asleep you won't.

The advice has ALWAYS been never to leave the home or go to bed with a tumble drier running, the problem is people ignored that advice, and here we are now.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • worldtraveller
    Options
    Millions of owners of potentially lethal tumble dryers have been warned not to use them until the machines have been repaired.

Tumble dryers sold under the Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit brands have been behind a series of fires.

Whirlpool, which owns the brands, had said they were all right to use, providing someone was in attendance.

But following advice from Trading Standards, the new guidance is not to use them until they are repaired.

A statement on the Whirlpool safety website says: "If your tumble dryer is affected by this issue, then you should unplug it and do not use it until the modification has taken place."

BBC News

Whirlpool - Safety Notice
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure