PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Sneaky ways to save the pennies

Comments

• Becky_2
    Becky_2 Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    For the last few weeks I have started to bring in a flask with my own coffee instead of buying coffee at work but I have still continued to use the small sugar packets at work. This saves me at least £5 a week and the coffee tastes better too!
    No toiletries challenge, started 18/1/2010 - Putting £1 in my savings jar for every item that I use up. Pot 1 to 4 = £261. Pot 5=£23
    Boots points:£39.21. Extra money in 2012:£674.59. In 2013 £603.48. 2014: £85. 2015: £0 :j
  • purplevamp
    purplevamp Posts: 10,327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Aril wrote: »
    Make sure you have a spatula in your kitchen. It makes it soooooo much easier for scraping the last bits of mixture out of the bowl or jars rather than using a metal or wooden spoon
    Aril
    When you buy the spatula Aril recommends above, also use it for scraping out the last of mince and stews etc when you are serving or portioning them out, I was stunned how much was left in the pan when it looked pretty much emtpy.

It's also great for getting the last bit of marg/butter out of the tub, usually enough for a round of toast :p
    A side note - my friend's family call a spatula a "mean spoon" - because it's spo efficient at clearing out the cake mixture, there's none left in the bowl for sneaky nibbles!
    :rotfl: so true!!

Also on the note about finding pennies on the floor, we've just come back from Dublin and my DD found 18C and my DS2 found 7C. People just throw it away, got to Gatwick and found nothing...:rolleyes: Not a fortune but they were pleased with their treasures!!
    Caterina wrote: »
    ...I ALWAYS pick up pennies, on account of the fact that being snobbish about small gifts from the Universe will send out a signal "out there" that I do not want good things to come to me/that I am ungrateful. So I pick up pennies and give thanks when I do.

Has anyone read books about the law of attraction?

Caterina - this sounds like C.O. to me :T :A
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £92,275.21 Jul 2037
    Swagbucks ~ £100 (2023 ~ £355)
    Surveys ~ £77.55 (2023 ~ £344.20)
    Make £2024 in 2024 #35 ~ £246.61 ~ (2023 ~ £2,224.70)
  • Apologies if anyone has put this, but I use one of those washup brushes that has changeable heads on it. I bought a big three pack of fairy from Makro last April, and bought one of these brushes, and even though I wash up plenty, I'm still not even half through one bottle. I think I've only used one pack of brushheads too.
  • Ive found this thread realy useful and have taken on board loads of ideas andwill be looking for bargins etc.

I do like to look in Poundstretchers,poundland,home bargins,wilkcos and otherbargin shops.
    Sarah, who is trying to make small changes :money:
  • Olliebeak
    Olliebeak Posts: 3,167 Forumite
    Always make sure that you thoroughly read the pricing details on special offers etc. Yesterday in MrA, I was looking at their own frozen fish portions. Cod or Haddock in breadcrumbs and/or batter - Any 2 for £5.00! BUT I wanted the Cod in Batter which was £2.44 per pack!

Pardonnez-moi! - but in the dim and distant past when I went to school, that made 2 packs £4.88 NOT more than £5!! :confused:
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There is a technique for scraping out jam jars etc when they appear nearly empty - it's a bit like using the knife blade like a lathe - up and down the length of the jar, very quickly but each stroke slightly over lapping the last one. Eventually, as you rotate the jar, the left overs will accumulate in the bottom of the jar, ready for one final sweep and enough for a slice or toast (or two!) My Dad taught me this when I was small, as he'd gone through the war with a really sweet tooth, so each little bit of jam saved was a blessing to him. Works just as well on butter or margarine tubs too.
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Ossireo
    Ossireo Posts: 573 Forumite
    Olliebeak wrote: »
    Always make sure that you thoroughly read the pricing details on special offers etc. Yesterday in MrA, I was looking at their own frozen fish portions. Cod or Haddock in breadcrumbs and/or batter - Any 2 for £5.00! BUT I wanted the Cod in Batter which was £2.44 per pack!

Pardonnez-moi! - but in the dim and distant past when I went to school, that made 2 packs £4.88 NOT more than £5!! :confused:

I've notice this happens quite a lot, I try and look at the tiny bit on the bottom of the SEL now that states price per weight or quantity as a comparison now :rolleyes:
  • something i've noticed is Icelands round pound value, really not that great value, a few months ago they had a butter/spread at £1 yet in all the other supermarkets i used, it was only 99p, this may 'only be a penny' to us but could make them a fortune, i haven't used them since, so thats an occassional penny saved.
  • Aril
    Aril Posts: 1,877 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The supermarket constantly put the unit price per kg on one item and then per 100g on another similar product...they are assuming that people can't/won't do the maths to work out the best value one. Before I passed my Maths exam a couple of years ago I was one of those shoppers :o:o
    I've also noticed that on a weekly basis the supermarket will swap between the bigger tin being the better value or two smaller ones [presumably working on the assumption that people won't go back and recheck] For some reason syrup is one of them so do recheck every time you stock up.
    Aril
    Aiming for a life of elegant frugality wearing a new-to-me silk shirt rather than one of hair!
  • Find a supplier of horse feed. A bag of apples approx 5-6 x the size of a supermarket one will cost approx £2 and a sack of carrots about £1.50.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure