Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    • 16,136Posts
    • 59,959Thanks
    mum2one
    Santas challenge 2017
    • 31st Dec 16, 1:04 AM
    Santas challenge 2017 31st Dec 16 at 1:04 AM
    A warm welcome to old and new friends.

What is Santas challenge...

We're a lovely thread, may be small but we're good... I know Christmas happens every year, yet by planning throughout the year this can take off some of the financial pressure of finding everything last minute, spread the tasks throughout the year.

It's not just about Christmas, it's birthdays, Easter, Valentine's Day,x cleaning those kitchen cupboards, having a general moan about life, yet being there as well.

The great plan is for a challenge on the 24th of the month, so that by Christmas Eve we are all ready and can sit back and relax...

A big welcome to everyone. Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    Sisters legacy -50 charitable acts 43/50
    Tackling the debt free life one day at a time xx
    RIP Dad, - Always love you, - He was 1 in a million xx
Page 3
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 14th Jan 17, 12:10 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I hope the shoulder is okay now Basketcase, that must have been a nightmare, and painful

I have a cousin with 5 kids under the age of 10 that likes to swap presents-these need sending. I would rather she kept the monies for the kids than send presents, I'm going to put the suggestion in again this year as she sends for my daughter and niece and they are 18 and 21 now

I always get my daughter things like facial wipes, body shop shower gels/scrub, bras etc, all things that she uses throughout the year but saves me money in the long run as little presents for Christmas instead With 2016, I was really thinking of making sure I got her things that would be of use at Sept ready for the start of uni aswell.

My mum loves those little jams from hotels, we always try to get her some and when we went to Prague for the Christmas markets, I brought back some body lotions from the hotel that are fantastic. I have autoimmune problems with a lot of allergies, everything has to be patch tested, ended up keeping the body lotions for myself, they are fab
    • meg72
    • By meg72 14th Jan 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 45,191 Thanks
    meg72
    Would love to join in, I have made at start, Poundland 25p loads of Frozen items. 10 little prezzies for great nieces and little friends, Cards wrapping paper and little knitted stockings to use as gift bags.

Santa wine bottle covers 50p each of Ebay, paid a £1 for them last year. and four gifts received that I wont use and can re gift.

Now have to organise somewhere to house my stash and make a note of what I have and for who.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • foxyloxy11
    • By foxyloxy11 14th Jan 17, 2:38 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 1,213 Thanks
    foxyloxy11
    Got some Totes slipper socks in the factory shop today £2 from £5. They'll go nice with someone's pressie.
    365 day penny challenge - £176.00/£667.95
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £440.00.00/£1000 Stage 1
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 15th Jan 17, 11:01 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Bought my mum some reindeer bedsocks(have a bobble for the nose) yesterday-down to £3. For a 71 year old anything goes with my mum, the more quirky the better. It's amazing what my daughter buys for her nan that I think my mum won't wear, then I see her happily trotting around wearing said items!
    • Anglea
    • By Anglea 16th Jan 17, 12:36 PM
    • 6,993 Posts
    • 17,187 Thanks
    Anglea
    Hello to all the new members, it's really nice to read the details what everyone is doing.

Katiehound, glad to hear you are on the mend. I never imagined you'd have so many clips.

There are two birthdays this month, I'm on top of one of them but have to co ordinate other people's cards/gifts (for DS2) and have to remember to buy a card for the second birthday as I don't like the cards I already have at home.

I'm supposed to be going to a Wassail on Saturday and want to think up some kind of hat or something with greenery attached to my coat but I'm not certain I still want to go as something has cropped up unexpectedly.

• Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 17th Jan 17, 12:16 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    My daughter wanted to pick up some Christmas socks from Tes*o-3 pairs for £2 as we don't know when we can get back when and if they will be reduced further.

Just by chance while buying cat food, noticed on the small toy aisle opposite, connect 4 (smaller ones) down from £5 to £1.25
    Bought 3, well chuffed as they will be used for birthdays and because they have to be sent, I always have to factor in postage aswell, so a really good buy that I know will be played with.

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone, it's nice to talk Christmas and birthdays etc and I've got my daughter into looking out for thoughtful presents at cheaper prices......esp as she is soon to become a poor uni studen!

Didn't want anything from the Boots sale but a quick mooch around this morning, there were a couple of things I saw.......I just don't want to battle a sale and the items are not online
    • meg72
    • By meg72 17th Jan 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 45,191 Thanks
    meg72
    Picked up a couple of Disney Activity tins in Home Bargains today for 1.99 each. Lovely tin with activity book, stickers and felt tips. One for a Birthday pressie and one for a part Christmas pressie.

Best of all I am still using money left from last years Christmas fund as had quite a bit left over.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 17th Jan 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3,343 Posts
    • 9,466 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Excellent bargain hunting!

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 17th Jan 17, 5:09 PM
    • 16,136 Posts
    • 59,959 Thanks
    mum2one
    I'm 99% sure that's its boots 70% sale 2mor...

I have £100 vouchers - earth via vouchers from surveys - plan is add £20 should be able to get £400 worth of goodies xxx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 17th Jan 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3,343 Posts
    • 9,466 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Oh that's excellent!

I'm in work all day tomorrow so probably won't get a chance to go but hope you get loads of bargains!

Dxxx
    Goals
    Debt free by Christmas 2017
    Save for Christmas 2017
    Goal weight of 10st 7lbs by Christmas
    Add to deposit savings
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 18th Jan 17, 10:53 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Very frustrating about the Boots sale, I only want a Sanctuary item.
    Speaking to one of the assistants I know and she said they had people queuing outside last Wednesday and this week, with people giving abuse when they found out it was still 50%, which I find just awful, I've been hit by many a basket in the past aswell
    I had popped into the card factory next door for a birthday card, they had some beautiful Christmas gift bags 75% off -big gift bags worked out about 37p so picked a couple up for myself and some for my mum.
    Have been really lucky with bargains this year.......only problem is my mum wants a couple more of the gift bags now so back to the shop later or tomorrow
    Last edited by Happy Kitties; 18-01-2017 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Spelling correction
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 18th Jan 17, 11:32 AM
    • 16,136 Posts
    • 59,959 Thanks
    mum2one
    I'm disappointed as well re boots, there was people queuing at our local store, fingers crossed its Friday....I'm sure a lot of people hold out for the 70% off.

Xx
    17 crafts in 2017 = 0/17
    • squishylove1989
    • By squishylove1989 18th Jan 17, 2:10 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 267 Thanks
    squishylove1989
    Hi All,

Hope I am not too late to join? I LOVE Christmas. It's my favourite time of year but the last couple of years I have managed to fall into Christmas burn out and become a completely unorganised mess. This leaves me frazzled and over budget so really hoping this group can keep me on track.
    Sometimes you just have to throw on a crown and remind them who they are dealing with
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 19th Jan 17, 5:18 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 36,237 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Katiehound, glad to hear you are on the mend. I never imagined you'd have so many clips.
    Originally posted by Anglea
    No, I never imagined that many either- last time I thought 37 were quite enough. Seems they get carried away with the stapler in theatre!!
    Added to that things still aren't quite right! back on antibiotics for another (only 2nd) week.
    I am getting cabin fever with these grey grey days and still in pain. This time last knee I was swimming- no chance until (hopefully) next week.

Yesterday I managed to walk down to Wilco but clearly the best bargains had long gone, however got some little trains- engine+tender for 25pence each , had been £1, ideal for the shoe boxes.

The main thing I have done this week is to instigate power switch. I took all my EON points out and converted to Tesco. Now I read that if there is an odd number at end of contract they round up to 100 points. Ever hopeful as I haven't had the last statement. ....... switch due early next month.

Need to deal with annual travel insurance, methinks that will have shot up since I have had 2 x claims and more medical 'problems.'
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 20th Jan 17, 10:26 AM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    I hope things start to get better for you soon Katiehound, there is nothing worse than cabin fever after an op, esp when things don't go as smoothly as expected.

Well I went to the Boots sale this morning to get the Sanctuary gift that my daughter wanted for me for Christmas. It is only a small shop with not a massive amount of stock based on two sides of one isle.
    About 25 people in front of me, managed to get a few extra bits I was after on one side of the isle but there was no way I could get near the other side. being in a wheelchair I got wedged in between people on the one side. This woman wanted to come down the isle, said that I couldn't move but if she just moved back I could get out and she could get it. She wasn't budging at first but I think once she realised that I was well and truly stuck, she moved. I was so glad to get out of there, by 9.10am I was back at the car, but the mountains of gift sets people were picking up was incredible
    • meg72
    • By meg72 20th Jan 17, 10:55 PM
    • 4,920 Posts
    • 45,191 Thanks
    meg72
    Had a good day today. Picked up two £15 gift sets for £2.50 each in charity shop and two big jars Yankee Candles half price at 8.99 each.
    That's 4 pressies off my list.
    Slimming World at target
    GC Nov 16.50.
    GC Dec 24.89
    GC Jan 2.50
    • crazy-cat-lady
    • By crazy-cat-lady 21st Jan 17, 6:52 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    crazy-cat-lady
    I didn't bother with the boots sale in the end. Got everything I wanted in the 50% off really. Was only going in for a mop up in the 70% and couldn't be bothered.

Bit of a mess here. United utilities called the other day to say there's an unexpected jump in water useage. 3x regular amount. I have a leak it turns out. I had to do a leak test when using NO water at all. I was losing the equivalent of a bath full an hour. No leaks or loss in the house and ground around is dry. Had to argue with them for ages to get them to send someone out to investigate. They wouldn't accept it wasn't in the house and was probably on the lead to the house, which they have to deal with. Got really worked up in the end as I want it fixed and not to pay a fortune for it all. Supposedly there's a leak allowance they can put in place so we don't have to pay for everything. But they were so unhelpful to this point, agreeing to send someone out, I bet it won't be easy getting them to waive any money.

Cheered myself up with a handbag from the cath Kidston sale. Only £20 and very nice. Plus with it being the oilcloth type material all her things are made from, it'll be babyproof and wipe clean when the little one starts on pur!ed food this month.
    Last edited by crazy-cat-lady; 21-01-2017 at 6:55 PM.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 23rd Jan 17, 12:43 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL-I hope you've got things sorted with United Utilities

Still waiting for the Te*co Christmas socks to come down in price to 50p. My daughter wants some to give as presents and my niece has requested some as a present.
    Loads left but they are not budging on the price
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Jan 17, 8:37 AM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 7,996 Thanks
    chanie
    Still waiting for the Te*co Christmas socks to come down in price to 50p. My daughter wants some to give as presents and my niece has requested some as a present.
    Originally posted by Happy Kitties

Have you checked the price at the till? Sometimes, they don't always mark down the prices on the items, but they scan through at the lower price. I bought some of the Xmas socks a few weeks ago, and they were reduced to 75p each and were 3 for 2.

Payday is tomorrow, so I'm going to take the opportunity to start stocking up for Xmas. Work is a bit quiet for Mr C at the moment, so I can only get a couple of bits and pieces, as we have a few birthdays too.
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £761.68
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
    • chanie
    • By chanie 24th Jan 17, 8:06 PM
    • 1,632 Posts
    • 7,996 Thanks
    chanie
    CCL-I hope you've got things sorted with United Utilities

Originally posted by Happy Kitties

My local Tesco has one of those price checkers in the clothing aisle, O I thought I'd scan some of the socks to check the price. The women's socks were scanning at £1. They had some men's socks with mistletoe and the word 'mistle toes' which scanned for ..... wait for it...... drum roll......... 4p. Yes. 4p. Plus 3 for 2, so 6 pairs for 16p. The irony is that I don't have 6 men to give them to (have earmarked 3-4, so only a few spares).
    2017 challenge to save £800
    Savings on purchases £761.68
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4327401ht
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,693Posts Today

7,291Users online

Martin's Twitter