Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • savvy
    • By savvy 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    • 29,678Posts
    • 45,216Thanks
    savvy
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5)
    • 29th Sep 10, 11:17 PM
    Making cards - Ideas (part 5) 29th Sep 10 at 11:17 PM
    Welcome to the Card Craft thread where there are many members who are new to card making as well as the more experienced members who love helping others out on their path to making cards. If you are new to this craft please do post and somebody will be along with some advice for you

Please note this thread is now a continuation of an original thread on making cards - Part 1, the second thread - Part 2 , the third thread - Part 3, and the fourth thread here - Part 4, it may be a good idea to look these first for advice or ideas.
    Last edited by savvy; 29-09-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Page 237
  • ScattyJan
    WBR I'm being nosey - why do you put carnations through your Big Shot?
    ohhhh i didnt like to ask lol
    xx
  • melissa75
    Afternoon ladies! I'm feeling much better today - my nasty cold seems to have gone!! I must remember to place my LOTV order today before everything sells out again! Hoping to get some crafting done later - got to make a birthday card for my Mum. Some presents arrived today for her from Past Times - I really like their stuff, I'm very impressed with it all!

Marg - no wonder its driving you crazy trying to keep your head still, fancy not being able to watch tv either - I really feel for you - I would be a right grump if it was me.

Flourgirl - thanks for being kind! I'm feeling a lot better today apart from about bursting out of my maternity jeans - I must buy some more! How did the shaped cards go? Congrats to you and DS 2!!!

Wanna-b-rich - thanks! I'm glad they changed the swabbing procedures just before you had yours done - what a relief!

Choccy - sorry you didn't manage to get your bug fixed. Looking at my big shot I can't see many ways for it to break - its quite sturdy!

Craftygranny - no wonder your d-i-l was scared, how is she this morning - are they letting her go home?

The-wife - I'll be thinking about you today at the funeral - sending you hugs.

Betterlife - welcome to the thread, sounds like a fab idea using your images, unfortunately I can't help - my printer refuses to work. Good luck though!

Louby-Lou-Lou - hope your neice's parents find somewhere suitable to stay - it must be an absolute nightmare for them.

Georgiegirl2012 - sorry - I can't think of anything suitable - maybe a pair of scissors?????

Savvybunny2009 - welcome to the thread! its a bit of a minefield when you first start out - there are so many gorgeous products out there to buy. My basics would be - a decent guillotine or paper trimmer, some douvle-sided tape and some pva glue, and some glue dots. A load of cardstock, some card blanks and envelopes and some patterned paper. The best thing for you to do is to look at people's blogs and see what sort of cards you like so you know what sort of products you're after (I hope that makes sense). Then we can give you some links to the cheapest places to buy all this stuff!!
    • louby-lou-lou
    • By louby-lou-lou 28th Jan 11, 2:27 PM
    • 1,483 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    louby-lou-lou
    Thanks everyone.
    Have just heard she is now breathing on her own
    But that she was being sick again so they took her back down to theatre, knocked her out to look down her throat again and she is still very swollen and may need to go back on the ventilator but for now they are just seeing how she goes on her own

She didn't know much about anything until today as before she was druged up but it hit her when they rushed her back down and now she has come around she realises how close she was. The hospital said if my bro had waited even a hr before taking her hospital she wouldn't be here now.

She can't talk but can't stop crying bless her. Can't wait to see her but looks like i will have to wait untill next week!
    Mummy to 2 wonderful boys

Want to be fit for 30 not fat at 30
    but i want never gets!!!
  • ScattyJan
    Oh Louby fabby news xx
    Glad you are feeling better Melissa xx
    • Giggle
    • By Giggle 28th Jan 11, 2:41 PM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 13,397 Thanks
    Giggle
    Louby, Thats good news. Have they asked at the Hoispital to see if they know of anywhere near for them to stay you never know they might know of some B&Bs
    I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It
  • Squidge29
    Hi everyone!

Big squidges (hugs) to those who need them.

Quick question... on some of your cards there's 3d flowers that look so realistic, where do you get them from? I could do with a few lilac & cream coloured ones to brighten up a rather boring card i've made.

Thanks xxx
  • pointofnoreturn
    Louby - great news, lets hope all is ok and she is on the road to recovery now.

Melissa - glad to hear you are feeling better.

flourgirl - a wedding - how lovely, will they ask you to do the invites??

Marg - hope the doc allows you to lift your head more.

Hope everyone else is ok. I had a lovely day yesterday at a day spa. I had bought some of the £10 spa vouchers on lastminute.com last year as a gift for my sister and we went yesterday. They are brilliant value. Giggle - we were in Brockworth so your neck of the woods!!! We went to Stroud afterwards and to Home Bargains as we don't have one anywhere near me and I hear so much about the shop that we had to visit!!!
    The E-mail of the species is more deadly than the mail.
  • thriftyscotslass
    Louby - thinking of you all, you must be so worried. That's great that she can breathe by herself again, even the ability to be sick seems encouraging iyswim. Which city is it? What about a Premier Inn or even a Travellodge? Maybe speak to the manager, explain the situation and negotiate a price. Maybe one of the extended family could do this - I'm sure Mum and Dad wouldn't want to.

Squidge29 - WildOrchidCrafts is a good place to start with 3d flowers
  • melissa75
    Louby-Lou-Lou - that's fantastic news that she's breathing on her own!! Must be quite a shock for her though finding out how sick she was - no wonder she's crying. Hope they manage to diagnose her soon.

Squidge29 - I get my flowers from here:
    http://www.mulberrycraftsuk.co.uk/
    and here:
    http://www.wildorchidcrafts.com/index.php?main_page=index&zenid=2k1p8p4hs4f60fhm5m blcpmna6
    and this is the glue that I use to stick them on:
    http://www.wildorchidcrafts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=106&product s_id=1314
  • melissa75
    pointofnoreturn - sounds like you had a fab time. I've been to Stroud - I loved it, it was so pretty.
  • wanna-b-rich
    Peppop & Scatty - I was trying out a flower pounding technique which wasn't overly sucessful with carnations, but worked a treat with the violets from my garden

Mel - glad your feeling better

Louby - that's good news, I hope the accomodation problem gets resolved

The-Wife - hope your funeral went OK (sorry forgot about that this morning).

PONR - glad you had a good time
    Today I weighed in at 11st 1lb aiming to be 10st or less by August........OK the damage was worse than anticipated, Slimming World officially weighed me in at 11st 9.5lb the work starts here
    18/1 - 11st 4lb 25/1 - 11st 3lb 01/02 - 11st 2 1/2lb 08/02 - 11st 2lb 15/02 - 11st
  • paddingtondoo
    Peppop & Scatty - I was trying out a flower pounding technique which wasn't overly sucessful with carnations, but worked a treat with the violets from my garden

Mel - glad your feeling better

Louby - that's good news, I hope the accomodation problem gets resolved

The-Wife - hope your funeral went OK (sorry forgot about that this morning).

PONR - glad you had a good time
    Originally posted by wanna-b-rich
    Sorry been awol - seem to have a housework addiction which is very worrying and I've also been to work.
    Everything Wanna B said (yep cheating) plus hope your DIL is ok Craftygranny and congrats to your son and soon to be DIL Flourgirl

Found this whilst hopping the other day has SVG file freebies as well as normal stuff - are those what you posh cutty machiny girlies use?

Remembered sommat else - am amazed your bug broke choccy - I've had mine 3 years and it's still great (hope it doesn't hear me ) Ordered a few embossing folders and dies last weekend so am glad OH is off to Scotland to watch football tomorrow so can have a play once I find something to keep tall child busy
    Last edited by paddingtondoo; 28-01-2011 at 6:11 PM. Reason: idiot forgot linky
    Officially a non-smoker but still rounder than recommended

• Mad-Frog
    • By Mad-Frog 28th Jan 11, 6:16 PM
    • 925 Posts
    • 9,681 Thanks
    Mad-Frog
    Louby Glad to hear your niece seems to be on the mend, huge cyber hugs to her no wonder she is scared, let us know if we can send any cards to cheer her up

Betterlife and Savvy Welcome to the thread

The Wife hope the funeral went okay

Choccy Sorry to hear about your bug, I have been looking at the bigshot but can't really justify getting one

Marg How are you getting on now, sounds a right pain?

Craftygranny How is your DIL?

Have made two male cards, just another two to do then I can get on and play with all my pretty new stash, have ordered some Magnolia dies and I really like them, just can't use them on boring male cards. All but one of my parcels have arrived, and OH didn't know about any of them I just need some more flowers and LOTV stamps then I should have enough things to play with for the rest of the year

I heard from Razerbladekisses today, she was supposed to go the her friends funeral but due to an 'admin' error at the hospital couldn't go, she has received the cards and says thanks as it cheered her up and made her smile on a horrible day, so thank you everyone who sent me a card for her.
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 28th Jan 11, 6:17 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    Marg just posted a card for your challenge,hope it meets the water theme.
    • TomsMom
    • By TomsMom 28th Jan 11, 6:28 PM
    • 4,706 Posts
    • 13,045 Thanks
    TomsMom
    Louby Great news about your neice, you must all be so relieved. I hope her recovery is swift.

Craftygranny Did your d-i-l come home today? I hope all is well.

Marg Are you still behaving and doing as you're told .

Melissa Glad you're getting over your cold and beginning to feel like yourself again.

Flourgirl Lovely news about the wedding, great excuse for a new outfit .

Welcome newbies

Georgiegirl Sorry I don't have any ideas for your card, not much imagination but I hope you can find something suitable.

Took some pics of my birthday cards today, will try and blog them over the weekend. We've had such lovely sunshine the last few days it would be a crying shame not to take Poppy out. Long walk in the woods this morning, an hour on the beach this afternoon, not sure what I used to do with my time before we had her .

Hope everyone is well, big huggies to all.
    • artydoll
    • By artydoll 28th Jan 11, 6:36 PM
    • 2,090 Posts
    • 11,411 Thanks
    artydoll
    A big welcome to betterlife and Savvy,theres always someone to help on here.

Louby,sorry about your niece,so glad she seems to be on the mend now.

Marg,keep your head down,when your reading this thread.

I know what its like,went through it with my OH .he was always glad to go to bed at night .so he didnt have to keep his head down.
    Been trying out some quilling the last few days,was cutting the strips with a scissors,but found a paper cutter for a £1 in poundland ,cuts card and paper like a dream,a great little bargain.
    Its only made from plastic,so I,m going to ask my daughter to get me another one for sparesy,she,s always in there.
    My quilling results are posted on my thingy.
  • Soma
    Soma - you're back
    Originally posted by wanna-b-rich
    I've updated my blog with some boxes I decorated for pressies. I was surprised at how simple it was and I used my 'special' papers that I've been hoarding for years

Louby- so glad to hear that your niece is improving
    Georgie - you do realise that we have to see this card now!
    • Savvybunny2009
    • By Savvybunny2009 28th Jan 11, 8:51 PM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 16,658 Thanks
    Savvybunny2009
    Hi everyone, thank you all for the warm welcome I'm looking forward to sharing my creations with you all x

I have so many ideas I am literally buzzing and wantto get them all out but don't want to buy lots of items that are a waste for a beginner. I think someone mentioned it was a good idea to have a cd of images/pictures? Does anyone have any suggestions of cd's that could help?

Also I would love to know where a good place to find wide pretty ribbons and unique embellishments from? I'm going down to hobbycraft tomorrow to have a browse so will be able to pick up the essentials... must make a list!
    Comping wishlist for 2017
    1. Family holiday 2. Christmas presents 3. Fishing stuff

The more you put into life, the more you get out
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 28th Jan 11, 8:56 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    I've updated my blog with some boxes I decorated for pressies. I was surprised at how simple it was and I used my 'special' papers that I've been hoarding for years

Louby- so glad to hear that your niece is improving
    Georgie - you do realise that we have to see this card now!
    Originally posted by Soma
    The man himself suggested using an american pool "8" ball as inspiration. It wasn't until somebody explained to me that the 8 ball is black that I understood. So I've sent him a message on FB to ask if he only wants one ball on his card.

But it will, no doubt, be in that bloggerrliscious place just as soon as I've done it.

And as I haven't done it yet, then I had to put something else there.

Hope all children are getting better/feeling better, all pregnant folks are quite comfy, all not so comfy folks do as they are told in order to make them comfy and all those who need hugs get them, either virtually or, if you are fortunate enough, in real life.

xxxxxxx
    • Georgiegirl2012
    • By Georgiegirl2012 28th Jan 11, 8:58 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 6,246 Thanks
    Georgiegirl2012
    Hi everyone, thank you all for the warm welcome I'm looking forward to sharing my creations with you all x

I have so many ideas I am literally buzzing and wantto get them all out but don't want to buy lots of items that are a waste for a beginner. I think someone mentioned it was a good idea to have a cd of images/pictures? Does anyone have any suggestions of cd's that could help?

Also I would love to know where a good place to find wide pretty ribbons and unique embellishments from? I'm going down to hobbycraft tomorrow to have a browse so will be able to pick up the essentials... must make a list!
    Originally posted by Savvybunny2009

There is a magazine out there called "Lets Make Cards". It is quite pricey at £7.99 but comes with a complete card making pack usually about 8 card blanks and envelope and various embellishments including sparkly bits and ribbons. It might not be something you want to buy every month, but it could be good, just for giving a variety of items.

welcome to our world
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,774Posts Today

7,550Users online

Martin's Twitter