Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 3forholidays
    • By 3forholidays 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    • 1,149Posts
    • 12,372Thanks
    3forholidays
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread
    • 24th Dec 16, 6:24 PM
    * I wish it could be Christmas every day * - It's the 2017 Christmas Chatter Thread 24th Dec 16 at 6:24 PM
    ‘Well I wish it could be Christmas every day
    When the kids start singing and the band begins to play
    Oh I wish it could be Christmas everyday
    So let the bells ring out for Christmas’

Hello and welcome to the 6th Christmas Chatter Thread.

This thread is not just about Christmas, but our whole year. We have had many ups and downs, deaths and births but we have all made it through to the end of the last thread and Christmas 2016.

NOTE - For all new people please don't lurk, but come and join in with all the chatter. We are all a little mad (about Christmas!), but not dangerous.

The following posts will be made up of all the links saved from last year with new ones added as we go.

This will hopefully make it easier in October/November when we are all looking for them.

Please let me know if any become out of date or if you would like your birthday added to the list

Thanks to all posters on the previous threads – the thread is only a success because of your contributions!

So on that note it is over to you and roll on Christmas 2017!

Our Birthdays

JANUARY
    Newthrift 18th
    Clumsy42 28th

FEBRUARY
    murie 24th
    junior_j 25th

MARCH
    vulpix 12th

APRIL
    quidsy 23rd
    princesskitty29 29th

MAY
    pixtotts 4th
    Opee92 13th
    Pinksteps 21st

JUNE
    Nic2075 1st
    04624181 13th
    dropsofjupiter 22nd
    msgigglewick 23rd

JULY
    mrs-moneypenny 17th
    Hanley25 19th

AUGUST
    Treasurequeen 12th
    patentgirl 30th

SEPTEMBER
    Spendless 28th
    whitesatin 28th

OCTOBER
    freespirit66 1st

NOVEMBER
    Peppapig 1st
    mrsinvisable 7th
    pinknfluffy28 28th

DECEMBER
    FeistyFidget 14th
    3forholidays 15th
    CHRISSYG 25th !!!!!!!!
    Last edited by 3forholidays; 24-12-2016 at 6:52 PM.
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC 10 - No 043 £510 (as at 30th July)
Page 52
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Aug 17, 1:40 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 14,390 Thanks
    Peppapig
    GTQ shame you couldn't see your mum but the video has made me feel all festive. Hope your friend is ok and it isn't anything horrible. Have a lovely holiday.

V another busy day for you, what on earth is the first part of your craft group name that the forum has obliterated it lol? Hope the funeral goes as well as these things can. I'm liking the cricketers idea

Well I'm home and the washing is on lol. Nice to be back and looking forward to my own bed but quite nice to have had nothing to do all day but read and find things to buy on line
    It's the most wonderful timeof the year .....
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 10th Aug 17, 2:08 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 34,622 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

MURIE oh how the other half lives eh £300 for a candle

PEPPAPIG glad your procedure all went well and you are back home now. Do you have to wait long for the results? I love that you have booked your Christmas dinner out already, I would love to do that one year but the prices are so high and I always think what I could do with the money instead haha. Your miniature village sounds fab I cant wait to see it in progress

KERRI haha my nerves would be shredded if I did a last minute lucky dip meat purchase I wish you luck though ive heard some fab bargains can be found

MRSINVISIBLE wow great bargain there I hope it doesn't get cancelled for you

VULPIX you are going great guns on the present front I still cant make my mind up of giving money or buying something for the adults? I hope today goes as well as can be expected

GETTINGTHEREQUICKLY I am fine thankyou for asking oh that video was very festive thankyou for posting it, hope you have a lovely holiday with the family

CURRENTLY READING SUMMER AT THE COMFORT CAFE -
    AMAZON VOUCHERS EARNED 2017 £115
    CHRISTMAS MONEY SAVED 2017 - £570/£667
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • By 04624181 10th Aug 17, 5:26 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 5,282 Thanks
    Hello all, lovely to see the thread so busy. cannot believe we are at the end of our 3rd week of the summer hols. It is going so quickly.

Nipped into work for a few hours to get some bits done. Just helps us be in front on the first day of school.
    Ordered some clothes from everything5pounds. 2 dresses and a cardigan for work, Very impressed as 2 are from well know high st stores.

Mrs I - Wow amazing deal! Hope you manage to get your dishwasher fixed
    Vulpix- Dont you just love it when you find bargains you have forgotten about. LOL love the craft name, is that the official name?
    Peppa- Glad you are home now, sounds like you used your time productively. Cath Kidston crockery is gorgeous.
    Sammykaye- Would it be ok to ask for the ladies details who made you the mermaid set for your DD if you still have them please. My DD really would love one, ideal gift for her.
    GTQ- Hope your friend is ok, must of been a shock for you all.
    Absolutely loved that video, really put me in the festive mood.
    Free- I too like the idea of eating christmas lunch out but I never seem to be able to bring myself to pay so much. Especially as my kids would probably leave half of it. Maybe when they are older.
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 10th Aug 17, 5:52 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 14,390 Thanks
    Peppapig
    0462/FREE I must admit I do begrudge the cost a bit but we did it a few years ago and it was so nice not having the planning, prep and clearing away. This year DD2 will be having Christmas Day at hers (we'll be having Christmas with them on Christmas Eve) so it's going to be all adults except for DGD who is 8 going on 18 and will eat almost anything. I wouldn't do it with the little ones. It's more than twice the cost of a normal three course meal but then I suppose everyone is giving up their Christmas to prepare it so I suppose I can understand it. Plus of course we've sold our dining table as we felt we'd rather have the space

FREE they should get the results in 7 to 10 days but of course that doesn't mean I'll get them then. I suppose it's sort of no news is good news.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Aug 17, 6:40 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 47,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    0462/FREE I must admit I do begrudge the cost a bit but we did it a few years ago and it was so nice not having the planning, prep and clearing away. This year DD2 will be having Christmas Day at hers (we'll be having Christmas with them on Christmas Eve) so it's going to be all adults except for DGD who is 8 going on 18 and will eat almost anything. I wouldn't do it with the little ones. It's more than twice the cost of a normal three course meal but then I suppose everyone is giving up their Christmas to prepare it so I suppose I can understand it. Plus of course we've sold our dining table as we felt we'd rather have the space
    Originally posted by Peppapig
    My mum recalls once when we went out for xmas dinner - I was still in my high chair so tiny toddler and all I had was a plate of sprouts...apparently the venue wanted to charge a full price meal for it My parents politely declined that bill
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• girlinayellowdress
    • By girlinayellowdress 10th Aug 17, 8:57 PM
    • 543 Posts
    • 8,365 Thanks
    girlinayellowdress
    Just popping in quickly Murie to say if you were thinking of a nice candle, expensive but not in the £300 bracket, I have a couple of The White Company candles, the 3 wick are about sixty pounds but sign up and if I remember correctly you get an email discount. Expensive still but I burnt them last winter on and off and put the lids on to see me through this winter too. I've also had the Sainsbury's 3 wick at about £16, far more reasonable maybe. I think the 3 wick look nicer for a gift
    COMPETITION WINS 2017
    game/switch, 4 cycles, bbq, garden set, fridge/cooler, 2 micro scooters, 4 hampers, 2 pairs shoes, terrarium, 2 magazine subscriptions, bee, bug and butterfly houses, doll, sylvanian families sets, bluetooth speaker, sodastream, £100 magazine comp, The Girl From The Tyne novel, 2 pairs sunglasses
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 10th Aug 17, 9:13 PM
    • 6,669 Posts
    • 47,174 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Just popping in quickly Murie to say if you were thinking of a nice candle, expensive but not in the £300 bracket, I have a couple of The White Company candles, the 3 wick are about sixty pounds but sign up and if I remember correctly you get an email discount. Expensive still but I burnt them last winter on and off and put the lids on to see me through this winter too. I've also had the Sainsbury's 3 wick at about £16, far more reasonable maybe. I think the 3 wick look nicer for a gift
    Originally posted by girlinayellowdress
    Just to add to this, I got some Woodwick candles for gifts in the sales, but compared to £300 they're very reasonable at full price. Boots stock them too if you want to have a sniff of them.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Aug 17, 9:02 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly
    I may have bought myself a Cath Kidston bag

I saw one on the Bay of Fleas yesterday, about ipad size, white with little coloured hearts. Thought it would be perfect to take on flight with me, big enough to hold kindle, phone, travel docs but not too big. Placed a bid & someone bid against me (), they had to keep bidding as my max was more than their bids, bet they were well & truly cheesed off when I won by 7p! I always place my max bid as £x.07 & tend to win because of the odd amount, so worth considering if you don't already do it.

Got home from SW to find a card from the council saying they had come round to inspect the property. All private landlords in the borough need to be licenced (allegedly to weed out the rogue landlords, but it is an easy money making method for the council) & the council are inspecting the properties. What they don't realise is that I work for a company that owns properties and we have had ours inspected, so I know that both my landlord & I need to be advised they are coming as they check various things (gas, electrical certs etc, most of which the landlord keeps), and they are not allowed by law, unless it is an emergency, to turn up unannounced. Having only lost 1/2 lb (I know, it was a loss and considering I have felt bloated all week, I can't complain), was not that happy, but the card annoyed me entirely, so pigged out. Feeling guilty today though, so back on plan!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • By 04624181 11th Aug 17, 9:46 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 5,282 Thanks
    Morning all,
    So today will be mostly shopping and cleaning ready for a busy weekend. Hoping to finish some little bits off in the kids bedrooms today/tomorrow too. Waiting for payday to finish off the kids school uniforms.
    Peppa- My hubby mentions us eating out every year, the no cooking, no cleaning, no planning side of it totally appeals to me.Getting ready and going out for lunch, enjoying lunch and then leaving without having to wash up or serve dinner sounds perfect! Every year we look at prices and every year the kids prices put me off. Maybe when they are older. You will have an amazing time. So will you be having 2 christmas days? that will be amazing xx
    Kerrigt- lol a plate of sprouts xx
    GYD- white company candles are supposed to be amazing!
    GTQ- congrats on your Cath kidston bag win. I too always do a random odd number when I bid, seems to work in my favour.
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 11th Aug 17, 10:37 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 14,732 Thanks
    vulpix
    Peppa the craft group is bee itchin and stitchin.Or as Mr V says The Coven.

Funeral was very nice of its kind.The drive to Angelsy was beautiful as I know the area very well we went on B roads.

I am also a fleabay queen adding random odd numbers.

GTQ your weight loss will show up next time.Naughty council.Is this another money maker for them?

I don't know if I like going out on Christmas day.My step Grandma used to take us all out when I was little and I remember not wanting to be dragged away from all my new toys.The first year my FIL died Mr V went to see his Mum on Christmas day.Only me n DD1 at home so we went to Rusholme in Manchester for a curry.The place was full of single parents with teenage children.We had Christmas the next day.So for the past few years we have driven to MIL's on Boxing day and taken her out.It is cheaper than Christmas day but still expensive.I would have Christmas day every day if I could at home.

The cocacola truck footage looks most civilised.You couldn't get any where near it when we went to Manchester.I love the ad but it doesn't make me buy the drink,I prefer pepsi!

Vx
    • Gettingtherequickly
    • By Gettingtherequickly 11th Aug 17, 11:31 AM
    • 3,450 Posts
    • 14,823 Thanks
    Gettingtherequickly

The drive to Angelsy was beautiful as I know the area very well we went on B roads.

Naughty council.Is this another money maker for them?

Vx
    Originally posted by vulpix
    I drive to Holyhead every Christmas as I take the car home for the convenience and I LOVE the view once you cross over the Menai Bridge, it is so relaxing & peaceful looking at the beach.

Of course it is a money maker for the council!
    Did my LBM in reverseFinally debt free with money in the bank!

I know I am getting old, but there is no need for my consultant to age me by another 10 years 😉
    • mandco
    • By mandco 11th Aug 17, 10:05 PM
    • 671 Posts
    • 8,669 Thanks
    mandco
    GtQ hope your friend is Ok and its nothing serious

Peppa glad your home and everything went ok shame about the extra stay but at least you had your own room.
    Xmas dinner out sounds great it is expensive but I think for adults who will eat what on the menu its probably well worth it. We ate out xmas eve last year as I wasn't sure if I'd be able to cook and that was really nice and not that expensive either so might do it again this year

thanks for the well wishes still can't shift this migraine its alot better than it was I haven't had one that bad for ages but still got a horrible nagging ache
    Probably not helping that I've spent the last 2 days decorating

Thanks for the suggestions for dd birthday at the moment they are thinking beauty treatments & a takeaway if they can agree on what kind - Need to order her cake at the weekend as they have to be done a min of 72hrs before.

Clintons have some reduced items in store 50%/70% off lots of tsum tsum stuff

Tc all
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • mrsinvisible
    • By mrsinvisible 12th Aug 17, 7:34 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 12,705 Thanks
    mrsinvisible
    Saturday again, l like Saturdays, except like this one because of the liquid sunshine. l'd love to go out for Christmas dinner, but the family like to be at home (my home, that is) it means that the adults get a work and worry free dinner, don't have to wash up, and don't have to wear uncomfortable shoes and sit up straight at the table, and it means the nibs can eat/leave what they want without being reminded of how expensive their leavings are. and can play with their presents.
    GTQ weight loss is weight loss. well done. Cath Kidson bag, too, lovely. l don't do bay of fleas, it seems too complicated, but my DDIL does it a lot. she always adds a random pence amount too.
    /man came to see dishwasher, it needs a new pump, coming back on Tuesday to fit it.
    Email today from M&Spensive, cabinets have been despatched and will arrive on Monday.....RESULT!!
    Bough DGN a play tent from Halfords, £20 down to £8, birthday present sorted.
    Mandco thanks for the Clintons info. They had an 'all cards £1' day recently but l missed it.
    • alja
    • By alja 12th Aug 17, 9:53 AM
    • 752 Posts
    • 7,281 Thanks
    alja
    Hi all, sorry I've been awol the last few weeks, two weeks ago I had a mini hospital procedure to get done and then rest up a little. I also had that week off as I've just started a new job this week! Thankfully on the MSE front it's a job that will be paying me more money each year, so I'm really hoping it's at least good for the next year or so. Me and my partner are hoping to buy our first home together, potentially next year, so this will really help us if I stay there!

So it's been a busy few weeks and Christmas has taken a back foot whilst I've paid lots of bills this month, insurance, water bill, TV licence etc etc.

We have our summer holiday in a couple of weeks too, so I don't see me buying much before then as I'll need money to take away with me, but I may go and have a little look online in case I find the odd thing or two.

We might go blackberry picking today as some are coming out near us. Can anyone recommend anything to do with them? Maybe something for Christmas?
    • vulpix
    • By vulpix 12th Aug 17, 10:20 AM
    • 773 Posts
    • 14,732 Thanks
    vulpix
    Blackberry Vodka,blackberry jam,blackberry curd,blackberry pie.Yum,yum,yum,

Hope alls well,on the last straight with the decorating,new curtains and duvet covers have come.The rest of the house is a complete tip.

Going to a house party later.In with the in crowd in the village now!

Vx
    • sammy_kaye18
    • By sammy_kaye18 12th Aug 17, 2:20 PM
    • 3,043 Posts
    • 18,949 Thanks
    sammy_kaye18
    VULPIX and PEPPA - thanks for the concern but I have had dizziness nausea etc since 2013 so they are fairly sure it has changed from Labyrintihits to Meniers now although the are going to test me to see if it is Migraine Assisted Vertigo - but I dont actually get headaches just all the other symptoms.....either way I have pills that help it and Im still able to work so cant argue

PEPPA - Im glad your home and I hope your feeling better. I must be one of the only people in the world to not have any experience of Cath Kidson stuff so I am off to investigate

046 - I will have a look - I brought it on my husbands ebay so I will see if I can find the seller - it was only recently so I will tag you in the post again once Ive looked although Im not sure of his password so it may take a bit but she had lots of different sets and they arent expensive either but good quality and look lovely.

Alja - we make Blackberry Jam which is easy enough and tastes delicious, as well as putting them in pies and making into blackberry syrup to put on icecream, pancakes etc

MRSI - well done on your bargain and I hope they turn up for you on Monday

MandCo - thank you fro the heads up about the Tsum Tsum stuff in the card factory.

KerriGT - I am the only one who really enjoys the christmas sprouts too - husband has a few because its xmas and I make sure the kids eat at least one each because its christmas but Id eat them happily all year

GTQ - I too am an odd number ebay buyer - its a good tip too. How are you finding SW?? I have just started it.

Murie - I cheat slightly because my husband makes big scented candles so if I ever need gifts I just ask him nicely :-)

Well just finished my shift for today - only 3 hours - so made a nice change. Found a good gift for my daughter in B&M - its a microphone stand with a selfie stick on it so she can tape herself singing. She loves making little videos on my phone so we gave her our spare iphone for her birthday to play games on and make videos so Im sure she will enjoy that - and its in their 2 for £20 promotion so I can either get her something else or I might be able to get something for one of my nieces.

Apart from that Im still no further ahead for my husband and my sons list of clothes hed like is growing. Im thinking I might just get him clothes store vouchers and promise him a day out just the two of us shopping, that way he gets gifts and quality time

and just for a little feel good picture on a rainy miserable day - here is the newest picture of our little newbie Nicki, 2 weeks old
    [IMG][/URL][/IMG]

right off now to look up a few more Xmas bits and do a few competitions.

Have a good day all

Sammy
    x x x x x
    Back working and happy in my job
    ....Working on becoming Me ....
    Working on a Credit Rating!
    • Peppapig
    • By Peppapig 12th Aug 17, 5:34 PM
    • 1,080 Posts
    • 14,390 Thanks
    Peppapig
    OMG SAMMIKAYE Nicky is just too cute for words, I think I'm in love 😍 I've been a Cath Kidston fan for many years but sadly for me the more recent stuff (since Cath sold the company) just isn't doing it for me, it's nice enough but seems to have moved away from the idea of modern vintage which was always the usp.

ALJA glad the hospital procedure is all done with and congratulations on the new job.

GTQ it's funny you should say about the card making you eat more, I'm miffed with DH today and I've eaten two bars of chocolate- no logic to it because it won't affect him but I've done it anyway!

0462 yes two Christmases and I won't be cooking on either yay! I'm determined to get my Buck's Fizz on Christmas morning this year though, I always plan to do it but there never seems to be time but this year I'm on a mission.

MRSI great news about the cabinets, hate it when you order something at a real bargain price and then the order gets cancelled.

VULPIX your social life puts mine to shame. No, wait, I don't have a social life.

DSS came unexpectedly yesterday and has taken down all the wall units from the old kitchen and put them up in the new one so at last things are moving and I can believe it's really going to happen. One base drawer unit to move and then it's time to get the worktops cut. Unfortunately DH has spent the day in bed today so other than clearing up the mess and putting the cabinet contents away nothing else has been achieved. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Aug 17, 2:48 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 34,622 Thanks
    freespirit66
    Afternoon everyone,

PEPPAPIG ooh things seem to be taking shape now in your new kitchen. I hope DH is ok and up and about today

SAMMYKAYE aww what breed is she? She looks so cute!

VULPIX how was the party? Are you hanging today?

ALJA ooh you cant beat a Blackberry and Apple Crumble

MRSINVISIBLE glad your order has gone through fab bargain

MANDCO I hope the migraine is a lot better today its horrible when they hang around so long

DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • freespirit66
    • By freespirit66 13th Aug 17, 2:55 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 34,622 Thanks
    freespirit66
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY TREASUREQUEEN FOR YESTERDAY
    DEBT FREE DAY 20/6/2014
    • By 04624181 14th Aug 17, 9:44 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 5,282 Thanks
    Good Morning all,
    So yesterday the dishwasher finally gave up on us. It blew mid cycle and caused the electrics to go off. Husband had to sort the consumer unit out and get all the electrics back on. So no dishwasher for the moment! That is a toaster, and iron and now the dishwasher in the last 2 weeks!
    We managed to finish DD wallpapering on saturday phew! how stressful! next time i am paying a decorator to do it. How myself, DH and DS are still alive is a miracle. There was a few disagreements lol x
    Vulpix- loving the craft group name! Shall we start the craft group back on here on 1st September?
    GTQ- Why oh why do councils think they can get away with doing things underhand? Lucky for you, you know your rights. I bet lots of other tenants have let them in without knowing they dont have to.
    mandco- hope you are feeling a bit better and have managed to shift your migraine
    MrsI-great news about the cabinets.
    Alja- hope you are feeling ok after your hospital procedure, get well soon. Congratulations on the new job! fantastic news x
    Sammykaye18- thank you for looking for the ebay seller for me x AWWW nicki is absolutely precious. We have a yorkshire terrier/chihuahua cross named ruby. she is gorgeous, with such a lovely temprement, best dog we have ever had.
    Peppapig- YEAH! 2 christmases is fantastic! not to have to cook on either is an absolute dream too. Hope your dh is feeling better. Great news about DSS turning up and moving the cupboards. I bet its all starting to take shape now.
    Free- how are you doing? been up to much?
    PK29- I do hope you are all doing ok xxx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,198Posts Today

9,116Users online

Martin's Twitter