We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Daydream fund challenge part 4

Comments

• we have stayed up the ranch in the caravan since April, and have only slept in house1 twice lol...but I am there every day lol

as hubby said earlier, once the floor is put back in at the ranch, we can intall a toilet and shower, get the electrics in on that side of the house, basic kitchen, put in the rayburn and start living in there..

Boys can have a caravan each lol....I think now that they are 2 years older than when they told us they wouldn't live here until it was all done, they have grown up a lot, and are now more realistic with things..

I really take my hat off to choille and can we have a MAJOR party when you have your first night sleep in your gaff...
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Better_Days
    Better_Days Posts: 2,742 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Bloomin' cats. At his request just got up to let my marmalade cat out as I'd forgotten to unlock the cat flap. Pushed open the cat flap for him, but no, he wanted me to open the door. Opened the door, and he stepped forward and sniffed the air. No, no.....not going out.....Now I'm back in bed I've just heard the cat flap go, he's gone out after all :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:What is it they say about cats - they want to be out when they are in, and vice versa, and often simultaneously. I'm definitely a well trained cat slave.:D

It's a bit sad I know but I love my water softener :o:o:oAfter 10 months of hard water it is now soft again. No soap scum, no limescale on the taps and sinks, and, joy of joy, shampoo that lathers without using half a bottle at a time.;)

Hope the weather stays mild and still for you Dave while you are full of holes! Are you getting your insulation through a utility company? We could do with more in our loft, but there is already some down.
    It is a good idea to be alone in a garden at dawn or dark so that all its shy presences may haunt you and possess you in a reverie of suspended thought.
    James Douglas
  • Hope everyone is seeing some sunshine. First for us in Glasgow for a loooong time (at least at a weekend) :j.

Anyhow used the time productively to do some 'editing' in the garden.

Lifted everything tender for overwintering
    Moved the perennial poppy to put with other 'pinkish' flowers (astilbe, japanese anenome, Persicaria affinis 'Superba')
    Moved the Giant knapweed (Centaurea macrocephala) from the shade border to the sunny border, this year it didn't flower :(
    Took out the alchemila mollis I'd been using as easy ground cover and replaced with spring bulbs
    Planted the half-standard holly I got in the crocus sale.
    Cut down the perennials that were 'over'.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Hope the weather stays mild and still for you Dave while you are full of holes! Are you getting your insulation through a utility company? We could do with more in our loft, but there is already some down.

It's been sunny, but not very still here today. Now it's clouded-up and a bit grim. The wind is whistling up the small valley from the big one and I've been bearing the brunt of it, hedge laying down by the stream. :(

I don't need to start on the hedge yet, but I thought I would, just to let you-know-who see that I'm still actively sorting those trees.:p This will be my 4th year at it.

But I'm cream-crackered now, so it's a quick bit of woodwork to stop the draughts, light the fire and chill (warm?) out!

The postcode lottery insulation offer is via EDF. The minimum now for new installations is 270mm, I think, so they should top up anything less than that. :)
  • weather is grey, wet, and a bit windy...

been in work today for a few hours...so got some more pennies for the pot...
    now at home doing some cooking, before going back up to the ranch....

was going to ask, has anyone grown the jack o lantern pumpkins? the ones they use for Halloween? how many pumpkins do you get per plant??

just wondering, as loads of places locally sold out, and there were loads of people on the old FB asking where to get some..
  • Davesnave
    was going to ask, has anyone grown the jack o lantern pumpkins? the ones they use for Halloween? how many pumpkins do you get per plant??
    We only grow squash. This year, we prepared 3 trenches with compost/manure and planted 4 plants in each trench.
    Between the trenches, we laid heavy ground cover fabric, so there were few places for weeds to grow.

The squash grew and covered all the plastic. We have had around 40 -45 squash, I think, which isn't bad for a crop we more or less ignored most of the time! :D

So 3 or maybe 4 squash per plant, and I expect pumpkins would be similar, but that quantity might easily be increased with a bit of regular TLC.
  • lucielle
    lucielle Posts: 10,730 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Lovely day here and quite warm. DD1 and I did a 7 mile walk, enjoyed it.

Cracked another alloy but it has been repaired. Seriously considering changing the car.
    L
    Total Debt Dec 07 £59875.83 Overdrafts £2900,New Debt Figure ZERO !!!!!!:j 08/06/2013
    Lucielle's Daring Debt Free Journey
    DFD Before we Die!!!! Long Haul Supporter #124
  • thanks Davesanve..

was thinking of planting them either on or by the side of our manure heap...and leave them go, lol..

as I am sure they are greedy plants... had visions of the plant in the little shop of horrors lol

If they don't sell, they will not go to waste, even though we don't like pumpkin as a food, the pigs do
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Davesnave wrote: »
    We only grow squash. This year, we prepared 3 trenches with compost/manure and planted 4 plants in each trench.
    Between the trenches, we laid heavy ground cover fabric, so there were few places for weeds to grow.

The squash grew and covered all the plastic. We have had around 40 -45 squash, I think, which isn't bad for a crop we more or less ignored most of the time! :D

So 3 or maybe 4 squash per plant, and I expect pumpkins would be similar, but that quantity might easily be increased with a bit of regular TLC.

Yes, 3 or 4 per plant sounds reasonable. We used to grow them when the kids were little - They loved them, and I always liked the idea that they totally 'got' the bit in the Cinderella story where she was sent to the store room to fetch a pumpkin :)

I inadvertently grew some this year too, for the first time for ages. DD gave me what she assured me was a courgette plant. I was dubious but planted it anyway in a big tub. It took over the bottom part of our small garden and started to climb up the shed. It eventually collapsed due to the weight of 2 large pumpkins. I was fed up with it at that point and pulled it out :eek:

They need lots of space!
  • Davesnave
    Our courgettes have been more productive than squash, I think. They are still producing....or they were. I'm not too sure what tonight's wind will have done to them! :(

Lucielle, do you drive something fragile? Must admit I broke both front springs on mine, but the alloys are intact.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback