PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I transfer mortgage from 1 house to another?

Hi All

This sounds like a simple question, but I am not too sure.

Basically I own a property which is valued around 125k and has a mortgage for 90k. The mortgage was a 5 year fix and now has 4 years left.

I also have a property worth around 105k which is mortgage free. I want to transfer the mortgage from 1 house to the other (Please dont ask why). Is this possible? both properties are in my name. What will my costs approximately be?

Many Thanks

Comments

• SquatNow
    SquatNow Posts: 2,285 Forumite
    Is this possible?

No. You'll need a new mortgage.

And you are now unlikely to get anywhere near as good a deal on a 5 year fix. You'de be looking at 90%LTV if you're lucky.

And your estimated values on the properties are meaningless... surveyors are being a lot harsher now... they use to speculatively value up, now they value down. I wouldn't be at all supprised to find the banks estimated value of the £105k property to be below the 90k mortgage value.
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's not really true, SquatNow. If the original mortgage allows portability (and most do) then the lender should be happy to allow the mortgage to be moved to the other property, subject to the new property meeting their lending criteria and the OP's income and credit history still satisfying their lending criteria.

Effectively it is a new mortgage, but with the remaining term (and rate) of the original one. And doing it this way would avoid incurring a significant ERC if one applies.
  • SquatNow
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    That's not really true, SquatNow. If the original mortgage allows portability (and most do) then the lender should be happy to allow the mortgage to be moved to the other property, subject to the new property meeting their lending criteria and the OP's income and credit history still satisfying their lending criteria.

Effectively it is a new mortgage, but with the remaining term (and rate) of the original one. And doing it this way would avoid incurring a significant ERC if one applies.

True some mortgages do allow that, but I doubt they'de let the OP do it when moving the mortgage to a property with a LOWER value... in fact there is no chance as it would mean a significant change in the LTV Ratio... unless of course the OP payed off a large chunk of the mortgage first.

I assumed the OP didn't intend to pay off a large portion of the mortgage, cos if he could he already would have factored that in!
    Bankruptcy isn't the worst that can happen to you. The worst that can happen is your forced to live the rest of your life in abject poverty trying to repay the debts.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Forumite
    The new mortgage would be for under 90% LTV; the original mortgage was for just over 70% LTV. That difference isn't particularly a big deal - most lenders are happy lending up to 90% and most charge the same rate for 70% LTV as for 89%.

So I don't think it will be a problem, let alone "no chance".
  • hedgen
    hedgen Posts: 13 Forumite
    Our mortgage is only portable where the value of the house is roughly the same as it is currently, as otherwise the risk for the mortgage company changes.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    You said "don't ask why" so I won't, but:

If your reasoning is to claim the mortgage interest as an allowable expense against rental income, you don't need to move the mortgage. Mortgage interest is an allowable expense wherever it is secured.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • MarkyMarkD
    Forumite
    Well done, silvercar. But of course it would depend (irrespective of the security for the mortgage) on the value of the property when it began to be let, not its present value.
  • SquatNow
    MarkyMarkD wrote: »
    The new mortgage would be for under 90% LTV; the original mortgage was for just over 70% LTV. That difference isn't particularly a big deal - most lenders are happy lending up to 90% and most charge the same rate for 70% LTV as for 89%.

So I don't think it will be a problem, let alone "no chance".

A) The 90% LTV is based on the OPs estimated "value" being accepted by the banks... very unlikely.
    B) A bank isn't going to allow a customer to move a mortgage from 70% LTV to a 90%LTV without ramping the rates or adding a huge fee. Lots of banks offer it on paper, but in real life they just wont do it. Especially not on a 5 year fix.

The basic answer is, if he asks the bank they will say no.
  • rlc22
    rlc22 Posts: 385 Forumite
    SquatNow wrote: »
    A) The 90% LTV is based on the OPs estimated "value" being accepted by the banks... very unlikely.
    B) A bank isn't going to allow a customer to move a mortgage from 70% LTV to a 90%LTV without ramping the rates or adding a huge fee. Lots of banks offer it on paper, but in real life they just wont do it. Especially not on a 5 year fix.

The basic answer is, if he asks the bank they will say no.

Are you psychic? Or perhaps you're the mortgage lender?

Surely the advice to the OP is: ask your lender!

Then there's no need for any speculation!

And in response to A) above, perhaps OP is a surveyor or has looked for recent comps...... it's very negative to assume that they're way off base with their valuations
  • clutton_2
    clutton_2 Posts: 11,149 Forumite
    ignore all the above - ask your lender ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure