Great 'What discounts can I get when I'm disabled' Hunt

Comments

• dizzylynny
    dizzylynny Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi I have just stumbled over this sight and already I have already found a huge amount of usefull information. Thank you all!
    Can anyone help me with some advise on DLA please. I was awarded DLA last year after chemotherepy for cancer at the base of my spine which has left me with mobility problems and requiring a carer for personal care. Can anyone tell me if you can work while having DLA I would if possible love to go back to my old job (sitting down!) but i still require help with personal care thankyou;)

Yes you can work on DLA it is not a means tested benifit and has nothing to do with your income only to do with your ability to walk/care etc etc x x
  • ash4becks
    ash4becks Posts: 589 Forumite
    dizzylynny wrote: »
    If you go on to the Motability web site i think you will find that you can apply for driving lessons on there and they will pay for about 20 (dont hold me to that) and offer support after that! I hope this helps!!!
    x x x
    you have to be under 25 x
  • dizzylynny
    dizzylynny Posts: 10 Forumite
    HELP NEEDED!!

However I could do with some help as well!!!
    As im unable to work due to my disability/illness and I live on my own im really struggling to pay my bills and without my dad constantly helping I would have been cut off.
    Ive contacted E on my suppliers and they inform me that even though I am on DLA and IS because im not over 60 im not entitled to any discount. Does anyone know of any suppliers that do??? PLease Help!!

Last year I went to Silverstone race track to watch the BTCC and after calling up in advance I was told I was entitled to a free carer ticket with my full paying disabled one. But I did have to fax across proof of my DLA. They also said that you couldnt get a free carer ticket on the gate, but how true this is I dont know. Im not sure if other race tracks offer similar discounts but im really hoping they do!!

X X X
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    You need to conact the companies your bills are with and ask them about social tariffs (for pople who use 10% or more of their income to pay for bills, I think) and some companies give help with water and electric for those of who use extra due to disability, and are income-basd benefits.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • niamhtra66
    niamhtra66 Posts: 559 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »
    What's the number for non-BT customers to call to register for directory enquiries? I know it's 195 for peple on BT.

You can call any of the BT services from another provider by putting 0800 800 in front, for example it would be 0800 800 195, for cus services it would be 0800 800 150 etc.
  • oldrodge
    oldrodge Posts: 11 Forumite
    sh1305 wrote: »
    You need to conact the companies your bills are with and ask them about social tariffs (for pople who use 10% or more of their income to pay for bills, I think) and some companies give help with water and electric for those of who use extra due to disability, and are income-basd benefits.

Hi
    My partner has the heating on all day and all night in the winter and also often in the summer [she has a hereditary illness that is lifethreatening and that warrants this]. BGas did not want to know despite her DLA, letters from consultants and social workers.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oldrodge wrote: »
    Hi
    My partner has the heating on all day and all night in the winter and also often in the summer [she has a hereditary illness that is lifethreatening and that warrants this]. BGas did not want to know despite her DLA, letters from consultants and social workers.

DLA isn't income-based.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • lyniced
    lyniced Posts: 1,880 Forumite
    RSC (Royal Shakespeare Company - stratford) £15 for wheelchair users and £15 for carer (normally £30-£40 each)
    Me transmitte sursum, caledoni
  • dane-katie
    dane-katie Posts: 961 Forumite
    My local gym gives cheaper member ship it is £27.20 instead of £35 a month
    Is a Bipolar bear :p
  • some gps may refer you to special "gym" classes, for example healthy hearts programme, if you have suffered a cardiac event, or healthy choices, if you suffer depression, anxiety or over weight etc. these are reduced rates. may be worth asking at your local doctors.
    3 wonderfull kids :female::female::male:, 1 fab hubby :heart: , 2 beautifull cats and 1 very large dog = my family!
    :grouphug:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport