Cat D write-off?

I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to £4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?

Comments

• Bendybops19
    Bendybops19 Posts: 11,212 Forumite
    I bought a cat C write off. Basically, if the insurance company thinks that repairing it will cost more than the actual car, they will write it off. But the owner can buy the car back off the insurance company if they do this and get the repairs done themselves.

Which is what the guy did with the car i bought. After the car has been reapired it has to go through a special long MOT, so make sure it has had this done.

It is a little unnerving that the person didnt declare it was a Cat D tho, but then they guy i got my car from didnt either :rolleyes:

Get the car checked over fully, make sure it had all the correct checks after the repairs and he has all the paper work. If your happy, go for it!! Being a cat D, you should get alot of money knocked off!
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
    I gave up jogging for my health when my thighs kept rubbing together and setting fire to my knickers
    :starmod: :staradmin :starmod:
  • Exemplar
    Exemplar Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can you post the exact details of the car please, I will let you know it's real worth.
    Alex
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.

I have opinions, you have opinions. All of our opinions are valid whether they are based on fact or feeling. Respect other peoples opinions, stop forcing your opinions on other people and the world will be a happier place.
  • carl310166
    carl310166 Posts: 747 Forumite
    I have been thinking about buying a cat D motorbike from a workmate of mine,i have seen the bike,and i know what work has been done etc.

I had a look on this site http://www.car-crime.com/salvage_category.htm
    and i asked other people.

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.
    Sponsored by Tesco Clubcard Points !!
  • martyn95
    martyn95 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have seen a car that I really like....Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 04 Plate...with 36,000 miles on the clock....Really liked it when I saw it....haggled to £4700...was going to go and give the money today...Just paid for a Car Check to be sure...and found out it was "recorded as a Cat D write-off on 3 Nov 2005"......Now im really confused because I really like the car......Any advice?

Best to stay clear as you may have difficulty selling it.

However it is the best category.

Cat 'A' Total Burn out - crushed
    Cat 'B, To be stripped of parts & then crushed
    Cat 'C' Repairs exceed pre accident value
    Cat 'D' Meansit was a constructive total loss & repairs did not exceed its pre accident value.

Regards

Martyn
  • martyn95
    martyn95 Posts: 6 Forumite

Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.
  • I have a cat D vehicle. It was repaird to 100% (just panel damage) I have not told my insurance company it was cat D when insuring it, as I was not asked.

I am now selling the vehicle, and the buyer is having trouble getting insurance, her insurance company Direct Line want an AA Vehicle Inspection, is this common?

Is it a legal requirement to tell your insurance company that a vehicle was listed as cat D?
  • [QUOTE=carl310166

There will not be any problems insuring the bike,BUT if you are involved in an accident in the future,they will not be able to obtain a true value for the vehicle,so be carefull.

That is my understanding anyway.[/QUOTE]

Insurance companies usually take a % off the final value, if the vehicle has been categorised.
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • martyn95 wrote:

Also , when buying a car get a HPi check carried out.

You could do, but in our case (see my thread 'HPI, waste of money, what's the point?') the Hpi check was a complete waste of time and ended up costing us more in losses! Never believe what is printed!!

LMT x
    Buy nothing for a month challenge - Oct
    12/31 NSD

CC - [STRIKE]£536.02[/STRIKE] £336.02
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It might be a good buy if it's been properly repaired and you're intending to keep it for several years.

Just a thought, but make sure you are actually buying the repaired one and somebody hasn't switched the plates to an identical stolen vehicle. If it turns out to be stolen, you will lose the lot.
  • Jorgan_2
    Jorgan_2 Posts: 2,270 Forumite
    Buying a cat D shouldn't be a problem as long as its been repaired properly. Make sure you are paying less than market value for the car & remember this when selling. If its got all the paper work, you shouldn't have a problem. It doesn't have had to be in accident, either. Mate of mine bought a cat D Jag XJS convertible. Previous owner had left it parked with the hood down & some low life decided to pour 4 or 5 cans of paint over the interrior.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure