cancel lovefilm

hi. i'm thinking of joining lovefilm to get the free trial but how easy is it to cancel?

thanks
:j :j :j :j :j :j :j

Comments

• You have to phone them to cancel but it's easy enough, they don't try and convince you not to cancel or anything. You do get occasional emails saying 'Why not come back to lovefilm?' though. I joined to get the free trial and ipoints and it was worth it for the points.
  • yeah, once they receive your outstanding dvds, they'll cancel your subscription, but you can still access your account if you decide to re-activate in the future
  • rag_doll
    rag_doll Posts: 210 Forumite
    Cancelling is straightforward, I was offered a deal to stay, I think it was a month for free, I accepted & then cancelled 2 months later. Have since gone back to them when I was offered 2 months for price of 1!
    FAIRTRADE NOT FREE TRADE

STOP THE BADGER CULL - PLEASE SIGN HM GOVERNMENT E-PETITION
  • Recommend sending back all discs 7 days before next payment date by recorded delivery (70p)
    On the day you send them back remove all titles from your list (including reserve list titles)
    Watch the titles get booked back into your account
    Cancel by phone - or maybe online outside phone hours

Sorted

Allan
    You don't win silver - you lose gold
  • skibster
    skibster Posts: 3,808 Forumite
    I wouldn't mess with lovefilm; it's not worth the hassle. I had them for awhile last summer and got tired of the old movies they sent after you've been with them a couple of months (you can't number selection order). Which wouldn't matter if you just want to take the free deal and run, but you can't cancel online like you can with Blockbuster, you have to call, and you may or may not be cut off after waiting for a rep and have to call back a few times. I had a film that hadn't come after several days and I wanted to make sure it was sorted before my next payment or else they renew. So I wanted to report it as never arrived, but you also can't do that online at lovefilm (but you can at Blockbuster) -- you have to call customer service and get them to send you a form. Which never came. The disc showed up in a couple of days and I immediately returned it and was able to cancel without extra charges, but the form never arrived, which means the surly customer service guy never sent it out. So if the disc hadn't arrived, they would have charged me for another month and I would've spent more time on the phone trying to get a form to fill out and mail back. From reading reviews of Lovefilm, it seems that is one of their ploys. Also, many people have said when they cancel that lovefilm claims it didn't receive the final movies you sent back, so it will keep charging you for your subscription and charge you for the DVDs that "weren't returned". It's just not worth the hassle -- Blockbuster is the easiest to deal with and is one of the few that isn't powered by Lovefilm (Amazon is good too, but it was just bought by Lovefilm so it will be switching over to crap service soon). If you do join, follow Allan's sound advice above and you will probably be able to avoid problems.
  • littlejaffa
    littlejaffa Posts: 2,251 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    i've had a few free trials with lovefilm, getting £20 cashback, cinema tickets etc as well as the free dvd's.
    i've found the speed you receive them at chances depending on who's 'fronting' the offer, but never had any trouble cancelling
    they do leave your account dormant and there's some codes kicking about that give you free rental on 'reactivated accounts only' so everyone's a winner
    x
    Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
    Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    i joined for the 1250 (£12.50 pigsback points for a 2 week trial. cancelled after a week as they send the dvd's in random order, even when u select the ones that are 'high priority' and in stock. its easy but ur account still remains as u can still sign in and out but it has a lil bit that says 'click here to activate'.
  • IamJen
    IamJen Posts: 704 Forumite
    chuckley, did you switch to another service? We're with LoveFilm, but have found the delivery a bit slower since moving to our new flat this past summer. I'm thinking about trying Cinema Paradiso, as they have not one, but two films that I was unable to locate on LoveFilm.

Overall, I've liked them, but the random order thing does bug me too.
    Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win. - Jonathan Kozol
  • Eiteews
    Eiteews Posts: 229 Forumite
    Best tip for cancelling LF - if you do it outside their phone hours you can do it through website without needing to call :)

There are some 3 month free trial codes floating around at the moment - don't sign up for the short trial!
    Treat everyday as your last one on earth! and one day you will be right.
  • Rather then send Rec Del i'd go via Special Del, yes it costs more but much safer then Recorderd
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure