Cost to Run Tumble dryer

Can anyone help? I live with two Cocks, well they are humans, but only just. Anyway, They refuse to turn the heating up to 20C as they say they cant afford it as its too expensive to turn the heating up that high. Ive explained that that is room temperature but they are idiots.

We have a condensing tumble dyerwhich they use for at least an hour everyday and i wa wondering if there were any facts i could show them to prove that the tumble dryer is more expensive then the heating.

Please help.

Comments

• To work out the running cost of your tumble dryer or any other electrical item, first you need to look at your leccy bill and find out what you are being charged per/kilowat/hour. Then you need to find out the wattage rating for the appliance.
    So talking in round figuers, if your charge rate is 10p per kilowat/hour, and you run something rated at 1000w(1KW) for 1 hour, it will cost you 10p plus VAT maybe ?
    Hope my explanation is understandable.
    Dave T
  • I have no idea about kw and stuff, i just want to have a rough figure to show my !!!!!!!s of housmates that having the heating on 20c is far cheaper then them using the stupid, loud tumble dryers.
  • magyar
    magyar Posts: 18,909 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Almost impossible to calculate as it will depend on the heating losses in your house.

Also, you don't say what temperature you would otherwise keep your house at?

But based on my fag-packet calculations, I reckon it costs an average of £3 per day to heat my house, probably to about 20-21C. (Based upon yearly costs [less 10% for hot water] spread over five months. The differential cost of dropping 1 deg C is usually quoted as being about 10% so in the region of 30p per day.

So depending on what temperature you keep your house at normally, it's cheaper to use the tumble drier.

Millions of caveats to this, though
    Says James, in my opinion, there's nothing in this world
    Beats a '52 Vincent and a red headed girl
  • I keep the house at 20c but they moan that they cant afford to turn the heating up that high, my argument is that the tumble dryer is much more expensive then heating and they use that all the time. Id say they have it on for an hour or so twice a week at least.
  • magyar
    Yes, but this doesn't make sense. If I get you right, you're saying that you want to keep the house at 20C, they want to keep it at, e.g. 18C.

Your argument is that by having the house hotter you could dry clothes quick enough that you would not need to ever use the tumble drier. If that's the only reason you turn the heating up, then it's clearly wrong: it's far cheaper to use the tumble drier for an hour twice a week than to have the temperature higher whenever you have the heating on.
  • tawnyowls
    tawnyowls Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Plus, unless you have the clothes on radiator airers, so they're not draped on top of the actual radiators, the boiler will have to work harder to maintain the same heat output.

Sorry, but would suggest you pop into Aldi/Lidl and see if they've got any of their thermal undies left, and see if you can reach a compromise with your flatmates.
  • Moneymaker
    Moneymaker Posts: 1,984 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Many years ago when I was at university I shared a house with 4 others. The house had a coal fire but we couldn't afford coal. We had to sneak out at night to "borrow" wood wherever we could find it. The room would eventually reach a temperature high enough to melt the frost on the windows. There was no heating in the bedrooms so we would warm them (sparingly) with electric heaters before going to bed fully dressed.

I get the impression that life is easier for students nowadays.
    I have no idea about kw and stuff
    Oh, dear. Well just remember that knowledge is power. Without even a basic understanding of "kw and stuff" you may struggle and you certainly won't sound convincing.
  • magyar
    Now, we had it hard.... we'd get out of t'shoebox two hours before we went to bed....
  • A condensing tumble dryer is an electric heater and all the heat is lost into the house instead of through a vent pipe. If this does not heat your house enough then of course it will cost more to heat it than one tumble dryer alone. I think u'd need a tumble dryer continueously running in each room to heat the house. If they are big cocks then you could eat them instead of buying a turkey!
    Cash ISA rate 6.5% fixed for 2 years. Mortgage rate 0.75% = 5.75% profit on £75K = £4500 per year:j
    Mortgages make money. Definitely don't wanabee mortgage free!
  • Three years ago when we were renting a flat my landlord didnt want us to steam up the property by drying clothes inside so he he put a tumble dryer in the garage rigged up to an old electricity meter. It used to take 7 units to dry a full load (about 3p per unit at the time) so about 21pence per load. Not too sure what you are being charged per unit but to take into account energy price rises you could probably double that. Now we have our own (well the Banks) house we try to line dry as much as possible But if it is wet we tend to use the dryer - much preferableto the house being fogged up with drying clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure