Using Sky Plus Box without subscribing?

Hi,

Please can anyone tell me if I could use a Sky Plus Box to watch and to record programmes without subscribing to Sky?

Even if I can't record with it, will it work just to play programmes, using my existing dish/cable and Sky card?

The reason I ask is I have a chance of being given a Sky Plus Box but I've heard you have to have a new cable from the dish for a Sky Plus box to work but am not sure if this would be needed only if are subscribing and wanting to record or whether it would work with the existing dish/cable/card set up without subscription just to watch TV normally.

Also are the remote controls for Sky universal and do they work both on Sky boxes and Sky Plus boxes?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Comments

• For Sky Plus you need two feeds as this allows you to record one channel while watching another. The asy way to tell if you have to lines is to look at the end of your dish and count the number of wires coming from it.
  • sandy2_2
    sandy2_2 Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    For Sky Plus you need two feeds as this allows you to record one channel while watching another. The asy way to tell if you have to lines is to look at the end of your dish and count the number of wires coming from it.

Do you mean twin LNB
  • That's the phrase I was struggling for
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Standard Sky remotes won't work with Sky Plus. You also need the Sky+ remote for a second set fed by a magic eye.
    The Sky + remote has extra buttons for the recording function
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • Hi,

Thanks for the above replies.

Okay this is going to sound very stupid - so apologies!! I'm not there at the moment but from memory there are two cables running from the dish - I had assumed that one goes to the front room and on to a room at the back of the house (where there is another sky point wire thing - I haven't tested that yet).

However, in the front room there are two of the brown sky cables coming through the wall, both with the ends with a bit of copper wire sticking out. I had wondered why the last owners of the house would have had two identical cables coming through at exactly the same point - could I be in luck and could this by the two "feeds" I need referred to above?

Does anyone know whether I'd also need to subscribe?

And if I don't have the feeds required, can I still use a Sky Plus Box just to get a signal to watch channels without recording?

Sorry to bombard with questions!

Regards
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    You can only record if you subscribe, it's not a free function.

You can watch Sky with only one feed, you just cant record (even if you did subscribe).

You can get (some) free channels just by connecting the box, you don't need to subscribe.

I remember seeing a free channel list somewhere, I'll have a look and post it if I find it again.

This isn't the one I was thinking about but it'll give an idea...

http://www.sjstv.co.uk/FreeSky.txt
  • richt71
    richt71 Posts: 946 Forumite
    Hi,

Thanks for the above replies.

Okay this is going to sound very stupid - so apologies!! I'm not there at the moment but from memory there are two cables running from the dish - I had assumed that one goes to the front room and on to a room at the back of the house (where there is another sky point wire thing - I haven't tested that yet).

However, in the front room there are two of the brown sky cables coming through the wall, both with the ends with a bit of copper wire sticking out. I had wondered why the last owners of the house would have had two identical cables coming through at exactly the same point - could I be in luck and could this by the two "feeds" I need referred to above?

Does anyone know whether I'd also need to subscribe?

And if I don't have the feeds required, can I still use a Sky Plus Box just to get a signal to watch channels without recording?

Sorry to bombard with questions!

Regards

For you to get record and playback features you need to subscribe to any sky mix. This feature needs 'turning on' by sky. You can of course use the sky plus box to view all 'freeview' channels providing you have a freesat card.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    You would probably be as well getting a standard Sky Receiver, it only needs a single feed cable, you will get all free to view channels without a card, to get CH4, Ch5's and Sky 3, you will need a Freesat Card, or an expired subscription card.
  • You have 2 options if you want to use the Personal Video Recorder features.

1. Subscribe to the cheapest Sky package at £16/month

2. Don't subscribe, but pay Sky £10/month.

From the Sky+ T&C's
    Sky+ subscription required to use Personal Video Recorder features of Sky+ (free while you subscribe to any Sky digital package, otherwise £10 a month).
    Dave. :wave:
  • hi everyone
    just wondering if anyone knows if i can carry on using my sky+ if i cancel my subcription!! ive been with sky for over a year so can cancel,but dont know if i can get freeview once i cancel!! and still record!!!! would be very grateful if anyone has the answer.
    thanks
    christine
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family