Should my mate pay for his own pricey drinks?

Comments

• wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    BarryBlue wrote: »
    Let's get this right. Blokes go to the pub and buy rounds. It's what wie do. Then when we go to the curry house and split the bill no matter what. Nobody abuses the system or they shouldn't be invited back.

Everybody buying their own is what women do. Getting their phone calculator out to work out a restaurant bill down to the last penny is what they do too.

Is anyone else bothered? If not, put up with it or don't go. (This is all from a bloke's perspective, of course.)

How wonderfully last century.
  • MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?

No.

Tell him to buy his own.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always lost out when we bought rounds 'cos i was always the driver and had so little to drink,
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    No, I would say all share and not be so damned money centric. I find over the years such things all come out in the wash. Keeping a mental balance sheet is not on.
  • Coopdivi
    Coopdivi Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I regularly meet up with a group of friends in the pub to watch the football. While most of us drink beer and wine, one of our group drinks expensive spirits, which makes the cost of our rounds skyrocket. Should we ask him to buy his own?

You don't though do you because this is one of those daft theoretical questions from the weekly email.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/latesttip/

Here's next week's made up bollix: I've just found out my best mate is a scrounger. Should I respect our friendship and understand that unemployment can happen to anyone or would it be better to gleefully announce it on an internet messageboard populated by curmudgeonly halfwits who will dam my ex-friend to hell and recommend suicide?
  • BarryBlue
    BarryBlue Posts: 4,179 Forumite
    wiogs wrote: »
    How wonderfully last century.

Yet, conversely, how wonderfully accurate. Because most of us were born and reared in that last century when things like this were done properly.;)
    Conrad wrote: »
    No, I would say all share and not be so damned money centric. I find over the years such things all come out in the wash. Keeping a mental balance sheet is not on.

Quite so. As I said, it's a bloke thing. Women just don't get bloke things, just like blokes don't get women things, like the need to shop for shoes instead of watching sport on TV.
    :dance:We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night:dance:
  • rachiibell
    rachiibell Posts: 300 Forumite
    If you personally object to it just say at the start of the night you're not going to be going in on the rounds cos you're not drinking much/ not sure how long you're gonna stay/ ect.
    See if it makes your night considerably cheaper.
    If it doesn't go back to doing rounds.
    If it does then you have a decision to make. What's more important to you.. friendship? Saving money? Not looking like a cheapskate?

Under no circumstance should you all turn round and say we've all been talking and we want you to buy your own drinks from now on. Not very friendly is it.
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aha! Back to the old stupid MMDs. Not even labelled as 'hypothetical' any more.

Would anyone really ask for this sort of advice on a national forum? No, you would SPEAK TO YOUR FRIENDS!!
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,758 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 October 2014 at 3:00AM
    I don't really venture from Discussion time.. but I've now seen in very rare extra curricular navigation 3 bizarre question from relatively new MSE staff. I assume this one like the other two is a joke... a nonsense... no adult that I have ever met would ask the question... I'm sorry... but it seems to me new staff think they need to encourage discussion by asking silly moral questions that have obvious correct answers? Ban me if I'm wrong... this is a joke. Just effing talking to people..... it's called communication... if you can't communicate with friends.. see a shrink. My deepest apologies Joanne if this is a genuine question you ask... but I'm 40 years old... and I find it bloody odd.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • Acm
    Acm Posts: 1 Newbie
    Does anyone really believe this post?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills