Charge for copies of my bank statements

I was doing my online tax return a couple of weeks ago and logged into my Smile current account to print out my year's bank statements only to find that they only allow you access to the past 12 months of statements. That meant that I couldn't print out about 7 months woth of statements. Smile customer services said that they charge £10 per each statement they send me. Is that allowed?

Comments

• adelle wrote:
    I was doing my online tax return a couple of weeks ago and logged into my Smile current account to print out my year's bank statements only to find that they only allow you access to the past 12 months of statements. That meant that I couldn't print out about 7 months woth of statements. Smile customer services said that they charge £10 per each statement they send me. Is that allowed?
    In a word, no. According to the DPA, they are allowed to charge you a MAXIMUM of £10 no matter how many statements you request. I would fill in the Subject Access Request letter and send it off to them.
    "Think for yourselves and allow others the privilege to do so too." Voltaire.
  • gizmo111
    gizmo111 Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    EvilEdna wrote:
    In a word, no. According to the DPA, they are allowed to charge you a MAXIMUM of £10 no matter how many statements you request. I would fill in the Subject Access Request letter and send it off to them.

To clarify - yes theycan charge for statements if that is what you request - if you ask for info underthe DPA then a maximum fee of £10 is all they are allowed to charge
    Mama read so much about the dangers of drinking alcohol and eating chocolate that she immediately gave up reading.
  • I have mislaid by paper statements during some building work on my house. I contacted my bank to ask for duplicates and have been told they will cost me £5.00 EACH! So for 2 years of statements thats over £100.00!
    Is this right? Sooz!
  • gizmo111 wrote:
    To clarify - yes theycan charge for statements if that is what you request - if you ask for info underthe DPA then a maximum fee of £10 is all they are allowed to charge

Thats the answer!
  • I have asked Cahoot for my back statments so that I may claculate my charges and claim..I sent the £10 cheque as advised, they have emailed me today and said they will charge me £5 for EACH statment, is this legal????:mad:
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No, it isn't. The maximum statutory charge is £10. Tell them you will report them to the Information Commissioner if they insist on charging you that much.
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
  • I have asked Cahoot for my back statments so that I may claculate my charges and claim..I sent the £10 cheque as advised, they have emailed me today and said they will charge me £5 for EACH statment, is this legal????:mad:

Hi Alison,
    I'm new here so I hope you don't mind me responding.

According to the FAQ on the Consumer Action Groups website there is no need to pay more than the £10 Data Protection Act request.

Did you send one of the template letters or did you just write asking for your statements? As it says in the FAQ's that you have to make the bank aware that you are making the request under the data protection act. Otherwise they are allowed to charge you for the statements.

Here is the FAQ page that I got the information from I hope it helps.
  • This seems to keep cropping up as people talk of receiving their statements.

You aren't asking for your statements, it may be that your bank will send the information you request in the form of copy statements but if you ask any bank for copies of your statement they are quite entitled to charge you PER statement. From Martin's article, and if you use the template letter given in the article it has the correct wording.

Let’s be honest, how many people have all their statements for six years? If you’ve online banking access, first see what’s available there, if not send a letter to your bank requesting a fully comprehensive list of all past charges. You’ve a legal right to do this under the Data Protection Act. If you don't know where to write to MoneySavers have compiled a list of data protection addresses which should help.
    Unfortunately they are legally allowed to charge for this info, the maximum amount is £10 and, banks being banks, they tend to charge the full amount. So to save time, enclose a cheque for a tenner in your letter.
  • sianb84
    sianb84 Posts: 445 Forumite
    can you go into your bank and just ask for the last 6 years back statements?

• I plucked up the courage to got to TSB to ask for 6 yrs of statements the reply when I asked for my statements was "what do you need them for?" I told them "to check something" "why?", I asked. She then went on to tell me that they will charge me a whopping £25 an hour to retrieve the statements, I chuckled over my dead body you wont. I then told her its a good job I have then isn't it and left. £25 they are trying to deter customers has anyone else been told this.

PS dont give them your bank account number 1st ask your ?'s before hand.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure