New Bank Account

After finishing Uni, I am now looking for a new bank account but unsure on who to go with.

I rarely use branches or borrow money, so just a bank with a good reputation is all I need.

I’ll see if I can do a poll on here I’ve never done one before. I’ve whittled my options down to Barclays, Lloyds, and Santander. Their credit card and current acct benefits seem very similar. Anybody with any dealings with these, if you could vote and recommend that would be excellent.

Thank you in advance

Where should I deposit my money? 15 votes

Santander
20% 3 votes
Lloyds
60% 9 votes
Barclays
20% 3 votes

Comments

• Who was/is your student account with?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • It was with NatWest, but I just don’t want them anymore.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Of the three of us I would go with Lloyds but in fact I would recommend nationwide
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I think you're only allowed to have two banks as choices, board rules apparently.
  • 18cc wrote: »
    Of the three of us I would go with Lloyds but in fact I would recommend nationwide

Totally agree. If we compare the current accounts Nationide's 5% on £2500 easilly beats Lloyds's 2% on £5000. With the regular savers Nationide's 5% on £250 also beats Lloyds's 3% on £400 a month. Being a student I assume you don't have £20,000 for Santander and I'd rule out Barclays straight away.
    The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.
  • Why do we rule out barclays? I’ve only ever heard good stuff about them - great apps, big global bank etc

One of the few what didn’t need a government bail out etx
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    lincsvape wrote: »
    Why do we rule out barclays? I’ve only ever heard good stuff about them - great apps, big global bank etc

One of the few what didn’t need a government bail out etx

Many weren't bailed out by the government, at least directly, and they took a large amount of dodgy middle eastern money to keep themselves afloat.
  • Update: opened my barclays premier account this evening - thank you
  • EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    I’ll see if I can do a poll on here I’ve never done one before. I’ve whittled my options down to Barclays, Lloyds, and Santander.

It appears you've forgotten the poll you asked us to do back in April when you asked us to advise if you should "Stick with Barclays or Lloyds?" for your "Basic Account"
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5637873#topofpage
    Update: opened my barclays premier account this evening - thank you

But kudos for going from a basic account because your "credit score was ruined over a year ago when I was made redundant and had to default on my utility and card bills for a few months." to "finishing uni" and applying for an account which requires a minimum of £100,000 saved or invested or an annual gross income of £75,000.

Impressive :D
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Yes back in April I was posting on behalf of my room mate who’s English isn’t very good. Ive never had a basic account
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure