Comments

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 November 2017 at 2:37PM
    Options
    chris1200 wrote: »
    Weird one but here goes...
    I left my last job a month ago. I have stock worth close to £1000 in my garage which I have asked them continually to collect. I even offered to deliver it to them for the cost of my time and fuel. Each time I contact them they say they'll get it sorted but never have. I have now started a new job and I won't get home until late evening each day. I dont want anyone calling at my house at night and I don't want them calling at weekends either. Today I told them that I now have no idea when I'm going to be available for them to collect it as I now have a new job and there isn't anyone else at home to deal with it. They have had 4 weeks to get it collected, during which they could have called any time of the day. What on earth should I do?

Stop being such an awkward @rse, that's what you can do.

Fair enough there's no-one home to deal with it when you're at work. Fair enough you don't get home until late. Fair enough you might have plans for the weekend.

But you don't go to bed the moment you get home, and you're not busy all weekend, every weekend, are you? No.

So simply drop them a note and say "could you come and collect this stuff as soon as you can please. Unfortunately I work late during the week, and am off to the footie on Saturday afternoon, so after 9pm in the week, first thing Saturday, or Sunday works best for me. Let me know which day you're coming. Regards, chris1200"

Not hard is it?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 29 November 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    I think you are fine to say you can't change your plans to fit around them, but that isn't the same as saying that you can't accommodate any evening or weekend. It would not be unreasonable to give them some specific times when you would be available, for instance (offer 2 or 3 different options) or make clear that you can accommodation evening or weekend collection at a mutually convenient time and date.

I don't think it is realistic to demand they pay you for your time or petrol to return them - you could have made arrangements to return them during working hours during your notice period
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Why on earth did you not sort this out during your notice period and take it all back before your last day?
  • stuartJo1989
    Options
    chris1200 wrote: »
    They've had 4 weeks to collect it, I now have a new job that will take me away from home at times (perhaps for a week or more on many occasions) and could mean working very late when I'm here. I don't intend to be available or accommodate them if it means I have to change my own plans or affect my new job to do so. At the end of the day if I'm not here I'm not here and if I'm not available I'm not available.

Then they'll potentially sue you in small claims court for the value/return of the items.
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    Dear xxx

As you will recall, I have property belonging to the firm in my garage, and have made many attempts to have this collected. I now find myself in the position of needing storage space.

Please contact me urgently to arrange collection of these items, which can normally be collected between the hours of x and y on a zzzday. If the items are not collected before Dec 18th, I will have no option but to charge storage at the rate of £x per day, to cover my expenses in providing extended storage for these goods. I also reserve the right, once storage charges are implemented, to charge £5 for each letter or phone call I have to make about storage or collection arrangements. (I have already sent x emails and made y phone calls about this!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear xxx

As you will recall, I have property belonging to the firm in my garage, and have made many attempts to have this collected. I now find myself in the position of needing storage space.

Please contact me urgently to arrange collection of these items, which can normally be collected between the hours of x and y on a zzzday. If the items are not collected before Dec 18th, I will have no option but to charge storage at the rate of £x per day, to cover my expenses in providing extended storage for these goods. I also reserve the right, once storage charges are implemented, to charge £5 for each letter or phone call I have to make about storage or collection arrangements. (I have already sent x emails and made y phone calls about this!)

Dear jobbingmusician,

Thank you for your letter/e-mail. You are reminded of your contractual obligation to return all company property prior to leaving employment. Failure to do so will be regarded as theft of company property and pursued to the fullest extent of the law. We look forward to the return of these items at your earliest convenience. The office is open during normal business hours.

Regards,

ex-employer.

As you can see, both parties can play petty tit-for-tat games and the OP, frankly, is in the wrong. He'd 'only get away with it' (so to speak) if his employer decided they couldn't be bothered retrieving the stuff, or it would cost more to do than it was worth - not on the merits of his argument.

Unless there's more to it than we're being told, it seems needlessly stupid to sour the relationship over something so petty, which can easily be resolved with a little bit of compromise. Furthermore, unless the OP's sure he's never going to encounter anyone from his former employer who was involved in this spat ever again in his working life, it seems somewhat shortsighted to risk getting a reputation for being "difficult", "argumentative", or just "trying to screw them over when he left".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure