Best hair straighteners

Options
After having my GHD straighteners for 12 years I have realised they are just not heating to as high a temperature as before and as I result my hair is not looking as straight and shiny as I would like. So I am looking for replacements.

Before I spend a fortune on replacement GHDs I wondered if anyone could recommend a less expensive yet effective pair.

Thank you
Taking responsibility one penny at a time!

Comments

• skipton
    skipton Posts: 676 Forumite
    Options
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, NOT the GHD Lagoons. My very old GHDs which are the 3.1B model were looking a tad rough around the edges and I thought they weren't working as well.

Given I straighten each day and i'd had the 3.1bs for years I thought I deserved an upgrade and got the Lagoons which are I *think* GHD 5s in a bluey-greeny design but they don't seem to grasp the hair very well or get it as straight as quickly so I gave up, they're in the wardrobe as a spare and I'm back with the old ones.

some say Cloud 9s are as good as / better than ghds.
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    A vote for GHDs here;

I have no idea what official model my GHDs are, they were from when they did the black or white ltd end but I must say I rate them vs a pair from eBay with variable temp by 'Hair Tools' ( I bought them as my friend had them and they were the first ceramic straighteners I had, the GHDs were a birthday gift). I certainly notice the difference between GHDs and some Vidal Sassoon or Morphy Richards ones I've borrowed which snagged my hair under the plate edges.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• indiepanda
    Options
    I replaced my GHDs with a pair of corioliss hair straighteners which I saw being demoed in Selfridges. Not sure they were any cheaper, but I preferred the results I got from them.
  • GBNI
    GBNI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You coudl always get your GHDs serviced? I know we have a lcoal company who service GHDs for a cheap price and they work perfectly afterwards!

Try looking on FB for people advertising.
  • Girl_Overboard
    Options
    When my GHDs broke I replaced them with Cloud 9, because there were lots of recommendations for them online and because people were saying that the newer GHDs aren't as good as the original models. I don't know whether the last bit is true or not, but can definitely say that Cloud 9s are great and just as good as GHDs.
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've tried a few of the cheaper end types (Remmington, Babylis, and a few of the other types you find in Boots around the £30-£50 mark) and also the Sedu which are similarly priced to GHD but have a temperature dial (they snagged my hair so didn't continue with them) but still find none are better than the GHDs I have but I have the older MK4 type not the new line which is out now so can't vouch for the new line recently released.

If I could point out any issues with the GHDs it would be that they cause a lot of damage, I get that this is due to the heat which is why many will have a temperature dial though the more damaged your hair becomes, the hotter the temperature seems to need to be to make it straighten out as it becomes more corse and brittle. It's a vicious cycle! I live for the day when hair with dodgy kinks and cowslips becomes trendy, it seems anything goes but not mad life-of-its-own frizzy hair :/
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jenniewb wrote: »
    I live for the day when hair with dodgy kinks and cowslips becomes trendy, it seems anything goes but not mad life-of-its-own frizzy hair :/

I totally agree :rotfl:

Thank you all for the advice, I am now waiting for pay day to roll around so I can get some.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • netballdi
    Options
    When my GHD's stopped working i bought a L'Oreal Steampod. It is fantastic, much better than the GHD's, and much kinder to your hair due to the steam.
    Can't recommend them enough.
  • cazs
    cazs Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    netballdi wrote: »
    When my GHD's stopped working i bought a L'Oreal Steampod. It is fantastic, much better than the GHD's, and much kinder to your hair due to the steam.
    Can't recommend them enough.

Hmm, I am interested to hear more about this Steampod. I posted earlier in this thread explaining I'd bought another pair of GHDs which I felt didn't perform very well but these sound interesting.

I've done some Googling but there doesn't seem to be all that much in terms of reviews etc about them which is surprising. But of the few reviews I did read although almost all users praised the look they gave, quite a few complained of leaking water after some months or a year... How long have you had yours? Any leaking issues?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure