Sky Q

Looking to upgrade to Sky Q , Has anyone done it and is it worth the cost ?

Comments

• Can anybody help me with understanding the new Sky Q?

We have been with Virgin for years but are getting ready to move to an area with no cable so looking at other options.

At the moment we have 3 boxes with virgin and I know it works out expensive for multiroom with lots of other boxes.

How does Sky Q work with multiroom? Do you still have to pay per extra box (I seem to remember them charging £10 per box per month which is out of budget for us. I am trying to get my head around the package we would need.

My sons do not watch a great deal of TV in the their rooms, just Netflix and kodi so seems mad to pay £10 per box.

If somebody could give me an idea of how it works that would be great.

xx
  • SkyQ multiroom is £12 a month extra.

Also: Watching Sky on your first extra TV screen comes at no cost. For each subsequent TV there will be a cost of £99 per additional TV. We'll loan you one Sky Q Mini box per TV at no charge.

Plus remember the setup costs which can be quite expensive if you don't take the premium channels (Cinema or Sports).
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    If your looking for a money saving option SKY Q is the most expensive out there, so wouldn't be for you, nor anyone else, either.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    SkyQ multiroom is £12 a month extra.

Also: Watching Sky on your first extra TV screen comes at no cost. For each subsequent TV there will be a cost of £99 per additional TV. We'll loan you one Sky Q Mini box per TV at no charge.

....and don't forget that you don't own the equipment, so if you cancel you don't have anything to receive satellite TV thru'.
  • VisionMan wrote: »
    If your looking for a money saving option SKY Q is the most expensive out there, so wouldn't be for you, nor anyone else, either.

There are some fantastic new customer Sky Q deals out there, particularly if you know someone who works for Sky ;-)
  • CHRISSYG wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade to Sky Q , Has anyone done it and is it worth the cost ?

It's fantastic!
    Well worth the cost.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    bubblegun wrote: »
    It's fantastic!
    Well worth the cost.

Not everyone wants to watch tv as they move from room to room or record 5 programmes at a time.

With all that live and stored viewing there would be no time to have a life.

The snag with Q is that you don't own the box, so unless you have an old Sky box, too, you can't leave and use Freesat or similar, as the box goes back.
  • VisionMan
    VisionMan Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    teddysmum wrote: »
    The snag with Q is that you don't own the box, so unless you have an old Sky box, too, you can't leave and use Freesat or similar, as the box goes back.

Its actually worse than that, as if one doesn't already own a Freesat or SKY HD box, they fit an LNB dish thats high frequency only, which Freesat isn't even compatible with.
  • The feeling on the Sky Community forum is that while it has much potential, Sky Q is not ready for primetime, with many bugs and snags that need to be ironed out. Sky+ HD on the other hand is a very mature platform.

There's also very little UHD content available right now if that is a reason for buying.
  • Gavgooner
    Gavgooner Posts: 22 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I am a existing customer & I can upgrade to skyQ for £30 for the 2tb box & £30 for mini box. What puts me of is for the 3rd box it's £99 which is expensive considering I wouldn't own the box! Does anyone have any better offers for existing customers for skyQ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure