Issues with employer, worried about references

2»

Comments

• stuartJo1989 ''From their perspective, they need someone to cover the hours which you have been given and the person who was down to cover (you) has just handed their notice in AND called in sick. They can't really rely on you anymore can they?

Not sure why you are so bothered about a reference though if you have similar work lined up in a better company? Just do a good job with your new employer and that's fine!''

They don't need someone to cover, I called in sick on one day with a bad stomach, my next shift wasn't for 4 days, they didn't have any reason to assume I wouldn't be better by then. And they have never done it before with me or anyone else who has called in sick. They can't say they can't rely on me just because I have handed my notice in and called in sick, I've always turned up for shifts of time, covered heaps of extra shifts and hardly ever called in sick. My job offer is conditional of references but if I can't get one from this one I have other last employers who will do one so I think it'll be ok. Feeling less worried now
  • JackSC299 wrote: »
    They don't need someone to cover, I called in sick on one day with a bad stomach, my next shift wasn't for 4 days, they didn't have any reason to assume I wouldn't be better by then.

Well they needed to cover the shift when you rung in with a bad stomach didn't they? ;)

They also did have a reason. You are leaving the company so have zero loyalty. This is evidenced in the fact that you've decided to go off sick for what people may view as a fairly mild illness. You haven't powered on through and completed your shift. You MAY be fine 4 days later, but then again you'll probably be off for even the slightest of issues so they can't trust you. Its a bit of a risk for them to take and with you having a zero hour contract the best option is usually just get you off the books.
    And they have never done it before with me or anyone else who has called in sick. They can't say they can't rely on me just because I have handed my notice in and called in sick, I've always turned up for shifts of time, covered heaps of extra shifts and hardly ever called in sick.

Aye and now you are going + have just rung in sick with "a bad stomach". They don't care what you've done for them in the past (it sounds like a typical exploitation job) they just care what you are doing for them now.
    My job offer is conditional of references but if I can't get one from this one I have other last employers who will do one so I think it'll be ok. Feeling less worried now

I think you'll be fine :)

Despite what I say about "a bad stomach", an employer can't really analyse it like I've done. If you get penalised for having 1 day off sick in an otherwise fairly gleaming CV then I wouldn't worry about it! Even so, your conditional reference is probably just to establish whether you've been a douche (abusing residents etc) and not really to check your work ethic. I imagine that your industry is sort of crying out for experienced people.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure