Handing in my notice

Hi,

I have just been offered a new job and the company want me to start on the 23rd October. I need to give 4 weeks notice to leave my current job.

On Monday 16th October 18th, 19th, 20th October I have holiday booked.

Would it be best to put on my notice letter my last day of work will be on Friday 20th October or put Tuesday 17th October?

Also the holiday term is from January to January I normally have 25 days holiday each year but carried 5 days over from last year. I currently have 12 days holiday remaining to take.

So how much should I be entitled to take before I leave this job?

Thanks,

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Notice generally takes effect from the day after you put the letter in. If your new job starts on 23rd October you need to put your notice in tomorrow as, Monday strictly speaking will be too late. 17th October is less than 4 weeks so you can't use that date.
    You aren't entitled to take any leave you haven't already booked. It's up to your employer whether they agree to you taking the leave or wanting you to work through.
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,199 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    What Tellit said.

In terms of the holiday, it is up to your employers. They *could* cancel the booked days off and make you work through, but most employers will still honour pre-booked holidays.

You are entitled to be paid for holidays accrued but not taken. If you are entitled to 25 days then you will have accrued around 19 or 20 up to 23rd October, so if you have taken 13 you will be entitled to be paid for the other 6 or 7. You will need to check where you stand with regard to the holidays carried over from last year, and whether you are entitled to them.

You can, if you want, ask your employers if they would agree to you taking your accrued holiday days at the end of the notice period (i.e.e taking them as time off rather than being paid for them) which could give you another few days break between jobs, but they don't have to agree to that.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • An employer won't cancel leave if they don't have to. If you take some leave provided they're not desperate for your services, they'll see it as less money they owe you. I recently moved job and because I had 9 days outstanding leaving for the time I had worked there, it amassed to a substantial sum.

But give your notice asap, don't delay it. Also don't worry about your leave, there's no real gain for them cancelling your leave unless you were working on a critical project.
  • Thanks all for your comments. I handed my notice in today.
  • How many days do you work in a normal week? (This question relates to your holiday entitlement.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure