PPI Reclaiming Discussion Part 5

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Well they might have paperwork with your signature agreeing to pay ppi. Just say you were told it was compulsory to have ppi

That is the weakest complaint reason going and very few complaints get upheld on that particular point. It is best to look at other reasons than relying on that one.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • I was told by my bank that I had to have ppi as I had no credit history when taking out the loan and if I didn't agree to it I wouldn't get the loan. So do u think it was fair of them to do that?
  • dunstonh
    I was told by my bank that I had to have ppi as I had no credit history when taking out the loan and if I didn't agree to it I wouldn't get the loan. So do u think it was fair of them to do that?

It doesnt matter what I think. It matters what the available information suggests happened.

Every fraudulent and try-it-on complaint uses the "I was told I had to have it" reason. If the evidence points to that being the case, then the complaint will likely be successful. If there is no evidence to suggest that was the case, then the complaint will fail on that particular point. It may go on to be upheld on another point though.

Most complaint reasons are valid but all of them have varying degrees of success.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi, I'm new here, hope I'm doing this properly? :o

Through Resolver, I filled in Claim paperwork, assuming that I'd have to refill in the same and more paperwork if/when I got a response from the Halifax.

I have had three letters, one dated 6th and two dated 7th September which ARRIVED on the 14th, 15th and 16th September (main bulky letter on the 15th which said 14 days to reply, after getting a single sheet letter from them with an indicator "you are here" (Stage 1!), then yesterday I got a letter saying if I didn't respond immediately, they were closing the case..??? What on earth..???

I trust my Post Office implicitly, however, I don't trust the Halifax at all.

I'd given my correct address in 1988 (Yes, I know it must have scared them) and they said they'd NO record of me ever having a Mortgage with them, while at the top of the letter, they'd my mortgage number for my current home ~ (the mortgage was paid off about 10 years ago!) ~ where the only similarity in address is the word Cottage, and no I didn't have a Mortgage Protection Policy Insurance on it.

I've always been with the Halifax and I'd never claimed against the Policy I'd had no choice but to take (no Policy/no Mortgage was what I was told :wall: but when I moved from the House I'd been forced to take the Policy out on, I wasn't forced to take the Policy again, so I said nothing!

I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985 :o (I was going to clear them out, honest! They've been hiding in the garage for over 17 years!)

Any advice what to do now please, to stop me screaming down the phone at some poor soul, like a madwoman? :naughty: :mad: With thanks x
  • 1988 is now almost three decades ago.

You may well still have statements pertaining to your long-ago mortgage, but it looks as if Halifax doesn't.

You need to provide them with both solid documentary evidence of your mortgage (and any PPI attached) as well as a compelling complaint that any PPI was mis-sold.

If you cannot do this, Halifax will do as they said and close your "complaint"

Your "Trust" in Halifax (or lack of it) is irrelevant I'm afraid.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    3catbat wrote: »
    I've always been with the Halifax and I'd never claimed against the Policy I'd had no choice but to take (no Policy/no Mortgage was what I was told.....

Normal. It's allowed.
    I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985

Separate policies so not single premium which is good.

Any advice what to do now please, to stop me screaming down the phone at some poor soul, like a madwoman? x

If you took this policy out in 1985 it's not very likely it was PPI, more likely to have been life insurance or a combination of policies.

Dunston will be along shortly to explain in more detail.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    I can prove both the Mortgage Payment, and separate Policy Payment, both made payable to the Halifax, as I found Bank Statements dating back to 1985 (I was going to clear them out, honest! They've been hiding in the garage for over 17 years!)

Was that separate policy payment life assurance or PPI? In the 80s, almost all mortgages required life assurance. Today, most people take out life assurance. It is by far the dominant health-related insurance.

So, was your insurance life assurance or PPI or income protection? (1985 would be rare for MPPI. It would be commonplace for life assurance).
  • Thanks for replying DunstonH.

It was Mortgage Protection ~ not Income protection. It was made clear to me that it was for the benefit of the Halifax, not me (?!), and I either took the Policy, or I didn't get the Mortgage, and it was 1988 (it was the bank statements I'd saved since 1985 (cringe!). I dealt directly with the Halifax ~ this was done in their office and not through an Independent Agent / Financial Advisor.

I'd separate Life Assurance Policies, so at least they couldn't sell me them ~ I always went for the Endowment Policies (which all paid off well, apart from the last one (in approx 2005) ~ and the Endowment Policies in 1988 were Royal Life (£27.92) and Canada Life (£32.04). But, thank you for asking! :D
  • That would be a mortgage indemnity policy. It was ry common and no mis selling.

As you say, you either took it or you didn't get the mortgage. Nothing wrong with that.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 18 September 2017 at 8:40AM
    I trust my Post Office implicitly, however, I don't trust the Halifax at all.

Your post office (assuming that's where you collect your post from) is simply a receiving point. Royal Mail deliver your mail, they are not the same company.

(Text removed by MSE Forum Team)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure