Mums ran up debt in my name and won't pay

Comments

• CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    EachPenny wrote: »
    At worst, reporting a crime to the police but witholding key information could result in the OP being accused of wasting police time, or perhaps even coming under suspicion of conspiracy to commit fraud.

Perverting the course of justice at a push, as there will be something on the forms to state that OP is telling the whole truth.
    💙💛 💔
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,056 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    bris wrote: »
    Because it's another troll, post a sad story then log in, in another account to be fed. This time they made a mistake Very do not allow accounts to 17 year olds.

In fairness, I've had a wrong date of birth on a business bank account before now, due to a mis-key.

Wasn't an issue (and was sorted), and is actually now too old to be on the credit file (I closed the account I think around 2010), but just shows that the system can be abused.

Hopefully, date of birth on the electoral roll should counter such issues, however if a bank worker can pass it with a driving license and passport in front of them both showing it correctly and it goes through, surely a member of the public can, too, especially if OP was on the ER at the time.
    💙💛 💔
  • Gambler101
    Gambler101 Posts: 580 Forumite
    Report the fraud to the police who will easily b able to obtain enough evidence to prosecute her and hopefully see her punished properly for fraud.

If it were one of my family members they would very likely be needing the use of walking aids for a very long time.
    The instructions on the box said 'Requires Windows 7 or better'. So I installed LINUX :D:D
  • SHill
    SHill Posts: 146 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 7:29PM
    oh my..

Look you need professional advice .. contact Citizen advice Bureau. Do call them & explain what has happen so that you can get yourself on track to sort things out.

Both financially and mentally.. I guess you must be really really upset and go through moments of panic, being ashamed, anger and frustration as to why and how this has happened.

They should hopefully help you with a plan of what you is going to happen and how you can go about getting things resolved in the way that you would prefer.
    At the end of day you might need to prevent this from happening again & again.

It means your mum has some sort of compulsion "to buy" way outside her means and so she has used an avenue to get more without really thinking about the consequences.

Look after yourself and start the ball rolling sooner so that you know you are working towards and end goal of the out standing monies owed.

Don't feel you are on you own you are not. You say that your mother has done this, other have said its their partners, other family members (sister/brother) that have hidden growing debt. Your young enough to get going and get on in life. You should use this moment as lesson and stop it from repeating the same mistake.

All the best and let us know how you are getting on.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 8:40AM
    Why do people post on a forum and then not look at the answers?

One possibility because s/he was using one off Mobile Simcard to create a new account and post it for anonymity reason and now s/he has little access to that Sim card again.

But for monitoring the post you could always access it from your normal account using normal internet connection.

I remember I have been reading the story like this many times here in MSE and other forums with similar stories "not to proceed with reporting it as a crime". Is it so bad here in the UK how ruthless and inconsiderate the mums here willing to betray their own children or it is just a conspiracy, perverting the court of justice ?? Probably this will become a good topic for research.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    My mum has been in the same situation with my brother.
    Police said it was a civil matter and they couldn't help.
    This was extensive fraud- thousands of pounds!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • adindas
    edited 20 May 2017 at 7:36AM
    Mrs_Ryan wrote: »
    My mum has been in the same situation with my brother.
    Police said it was a civil matter and they couldn't help.
    This was extensive fraud- thousands of pounds!

Not according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

It might be because your mum and brother case is different with the OP case. They were telling you a different story to what they told the police which sometimes happen for a criminal case involving family members.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Maybe because he works 45 hours/week, which might mean Mon-Fri 9 hours/day, then there's a lunch break, so 10 hours/day - with an hour's commute each way, that's a 12 hour day ...

Posted before he went to bed last night, got up this morning and went straight out to work ... and probably expects 1-2 answers, max, when he checks in his lunchbreak.

Maybe very busy or very ignorant. Or maybe not for real. We'll obviously never know for sure.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    adindas wrote: »
    Not according to this
    http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-protection/bank-card-cheque-fraud
    http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/why-file-police-report-card-fraud-1282.php

It might be because your mum and brother case is different with the OP case. They were telling you a different story to what they told the police which sometimes happen for a criminal case involving family members.

In the case of unauthorised transactions, it is the CC that is liable, not the cardholder. So the police take the view that the "victim" is the CC - and CCs have their own channels for dealing with fraud. So it is simply a civil matter between the cardholder and the CC. (And the CC can also make a civil claim against the fraudster.)

It is common for the police not to get involved if somebody other than the victim reports the crime, especially when the victim is corporate.

Of course this isn't very helpful, especially if you are the victim of ID theft, and I'm not saying they will never get invoved.
  • adindas
    edited 20 May 2017 at 12:54PM
    In the case of unauthorised transactions, it is the CC that is liable, not the cardholder. .

It happened to me and I got my money back without even the need to fight..
    But I think the OP case is entirely a different story.

For the OP, s/he is now 19 years old so two years ago she was 17yo !!!!!!!!!!
    How did her mum get a credit card under his/her name ?? Not to mention she deliberately utilized the card which is not hers to purchase items.

Here is few examples and the answer from experts:
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/my-mother-spent-5000-on-credit-cards-opened-in-my-name-should-i-report-her-2016-10-07

http://blog.credit.com/2015/11/help-my-mom-dad-maxed-out-credit-cards-in-my-name-129680/

http://thefinancialdiet.com/my-mom-racked-up-six-years-of-debt-in-my-name-and-ruined-my-credit-score/

If you google it you will find many similar stories like this around the world. What a coincidence most of them are about to apply for a major credit.

Are they really a victim or just a conspiracy for perverting the court of justice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure